Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
**Kicks Open Door** It's FIESTA FRIDAY!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2017, 3:57pm

Post #1 of 31 (775 views)
Shortcut
**Kicks Open Door** It's FIESTA FRIDAY!!! Can't Post

Greetings TORnsibs and beloved lurkers (we know you're there! ;)

Welcome to this week's Fiesta Friday! Our lovely Altaira is off in the Wilds of RL demands, so I am delighted to grab the keys and tea-towel to serve up your drink of choice. October 6th is a big day in Middle-earth, especially if you're hanging out on a deserted hilltop.

*** HEY!! We have a very important question for you all *** This could be so much fun! OK...

TPTB would like to know whether you would be interested in having a regular Crafts and Creations thread? It was thought to be a great way to share our creative side... what you're working on. To tell us about your Crafts (costuming, needle-work, artwork, etc.) and Creations (publications (including "how to"), websites, collections, etc.) complete with links IN YOUR FOOTERS to your story or website or photos.

IF there is some interest in a regular post here on Off Topic for Crafts and Creations, guidelines and reminders would be established about how links should honor TORn's ToS (i.e., family friendly, no charities, politics), picture size, etc.

The only rule that would NOT apply for this one recurring thread would be linking to things for sale" - that is, no advertising or selling stuff. This is just a place to share those special things we do that occupy our minds and to express ourselves :)

So... what do you think?

If I were a carpenter by Bobby Darin. (it's really good, and it's about making stuff :)

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 6 2017, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 31 (724 views)
Shortcut
for once I'm here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fall has arrived; definite coolth in the air, most welcome after the longest, hottest, driest summer on record. I'll have an Angel Mist, barkeep.

Busy weekend ahead: going to a concert of Count Basie music tomorrow night (funny story: when I tried to send a message to the person I invited to attend with me, I wrote "do you want to see a Basie show" but my phone autocorrected to "basic sow" - he was most bewildered). Sunday am I will meet up with my new walking group at 6:40 am for a long walk, then I'm meeting friends at noon for lunch before we see "Pride and Prejudice" at the Seattle Rep. And I've been offered comp tickets to the IMAX showing of the new "Blade Runner," so I need to work that in there, possibly Saturday afternoon. I must say, after decades of living out in the country, I'm quite enjoying what the big city has to offer. (I still run away to the mountains to hike at least once a week.)

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 6 2017, 4:10pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2017, 4:29pm

Post #3 of 31 (714 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahaha! Basic Sow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yeah... he had one of the best Big Bands EVER! :) That sounds like so much gun! ALL of what you have lined up is so very cool!
Here's hoping the weather will start cooperating and you have a fabulous long walk :D Yes... the mountains will always be there to give you refuge ;)

Have a GREAT TIME!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2017, 4:47pm

Post #4 of 31 (712 views)
Shortcut
A tall iced tea for me, please, Madam Barkeep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, gramma! Coming in late, because I've just had a very unique experience - and one that librarians can appreciate!

Over the summer, I'd weeded our school collection, and discarded from the inventory about 500 old books, mostly children's. They were loaded onto two library carts, three-tier double-sided. The town library holds a sale of used books each October, and there's pavement or sidewalk all the way between the school and the library, so...the school librarian and I just wheeled those two carts the kilometer over there, and we didn't tip once! (Came close a couple of times...)

Crafts and Creations - we've got lots of crafty and creative folks on TORn! A thread like that would be fun! Cool

Enjoy the long weekend, gramma!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2017, 4:57pm

Post #5 of 31 (710 views)
Shortcut
*holds breath!* [In reply to] Can't Post

and there's pavement or sidewalk all the way between the school and the library

OMG! I was so scared you were going to say one got dumped!!! GOOD JOB! When those full trucks (VERY HEAVY) get bouncing on the sidewalks, they can suddenly just pitch! *bows deeply*

I was also afraid you might say someone took the wrong 2 trucks over... delivering new books instead of withdrawn books ;) That was one of my jobs for several years, so I know the pitfalls (pardon the pun) well... since I fell into most of them along the way ;)

You've earned THIS! There's an extra glass for your librarian collaborator ;)

I'm really excited about the new thread on Crafts and Creations! Especially after the homepage had so many submissions on costumes fans made for conventions :)

I hope you have a WONDERFUL Weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2017, 5:04pm

Post #6 of 31 (708 views)
Shortcut
*Hangs out SELF SERVE sign* BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE QUERY IN TODAY'S FIESTA :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2017, 5:05pm

Post #7 of 31 (708 views)
Shortcut
A pitcherful! Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL, the town librarian had us both go enjoy their staff water cooler while she started looking over the books. The route is mostly flat, with little incline, but we were both winded by the time we got there.

That's always a fear, accidentally discarding the wrong books. And hauling them around - people don't realize how heavy those weigh, when you've got a lot of them! Builds up the arm-muscles, definitely. Do you ever miss your old work?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2017, 6:37pm

Post #8 of 31 (706 views)
Shortcut
Mixes a wine cooler of cranberry juice and Dorwinion Red [In reply to] Can't Post

Would an arts & crafts thread undermine the Fan Art forum, or is the thought that the FA forum doesn't attract enough attention for a good discussion?

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall. -- The Doctor

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2017, 7:29pm

Post #9 of 31 (698 views)
Shortcut
Enjoying feeling *much* better! [In reply to] Can't Post

My cold was a lingerer, but it's all but gone at last. I've started my running again after a week off - it was hard the first time!

After another rainy week, today (Saturday) looks cautiously promising. We plan to be out in the garden this morning, then later we'll make pear paste. I have kefir on the go, and I bottled a batch of sauerkraut yesterday, so we're fermenting nicely!

I like the idea of a Crafts and Creations thread! It's fun to see what our fellow TORnadoes are up to.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2017, 12:29am

Post #10 of 31 (664 views)
Shortcut
I really do [In reply to] Can't Post

Before the library became a "business" and only talk about metrics and meetings, meetings, meetings we had to attend just so there were faces in the room to impress the visitor of the day.

I loved my job of fixing/overseeing the information going into the online catalog bib records for accuracy and continuity; processing new materials and w/ding the old for book sales, creating call numbers, finding misplaced items, and helping other departments with special projects. Through the years, I found out from other universities that they would search our database for that info to see how we did it when they couldn't figure it out. I was like... WOW! Really!? I felt like I was part of a movement in the department to make materials easily accessible for users and helped give the university library credibility.

That was all lost about 4 years before I retired when they started outsourcing and cutting steps through automation. I've been told the authority/quality work I did has been discontinued. They just throw stuff on the shelves without checking to see if the call numbers, subjects and author info are correct. *sigh* first thing to go is the quality of the work... followed by the pride of a job well done so the hours spent there had a purpose.

Yeah... I miss the job that was :)

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2017, 12:39am

Post #11 of 31 (664 views)
Shortcut
That's a good question :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure those who are contemplating this has a great response. imho, this is focusing more on crafty creations and publications where Fan Art :

Display and get feedback on your LOTR and Fantasy drawings, photography, prose and poetry

It'll be fun to see how this all shakes out!

Have a GREATweekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2017, 12:43am

Post #12 of 31 (664 views)
Shortcut
Oh! That's great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

That cold really took over for a long time! I'll bets it's nice to be able to taste food again! :D

Have fun in the garden. Even if you can't make as much headway as you like, just getting outside is a wonderful thing!

Have a GREAT weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 7 2017, 12:52am

Post #13 of 31 (665 views)
Shortcut
Waiting...waiting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Results of special votes will be announced in about ten minutes. These account for 15% of the total vote, so could make a difference in coalition talks. Note my nice 'n neutral description. Angelic

In other news, it's the holidays and I have been gardening like a maniac and loving it. It's pouring with rain here today which is perfect for all the plants I put in yesterday.
Unfortunately I forgot I am not a spring chicken and aggravated a nasty old hand and wrist injury trying to chuck around a 40L compost bag. Oops.
All bandaged up and hanging with the Midge.

Waiting...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2017, 1:38am

Post #14 of 31 (638 views)
Shortcut
That is so, so sad! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine not having someone check the quality of the records for incoming materials - it's not unusual for me to change the call number or add subject fields to make a book more "searchable" for our kids, and I do find typos in the records.

Your work was important - to your library, and to others! It sounds like those in charge wanted to save money, and in so doing they completely ignored the whole purpose of the library: supporting research. Mad

I'd want to retire, too, if that ever happened to me...

It's a sad day when the ones in charge no longer care. Unsure

*hugs*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2017, 10:01am

Post #15 of 31 (608 views)
Shortcut
They also [In reply to] Can't Post

have connected most of the university libraries in the state together via their online catalogues so only one library may have the only edition in the state to many books (old and new). So if I want to read Beren and Luthien, I would have to go through inter-library loan to get it from a campus down state.

progress...

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2017, 10:06am

Post #16 of 31 (607 views)
Shortcut
Bummer :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry you hurt your wrist/hand! Doesn't it figure!?! But I'm glad the weather has finally turned for proper garden-play :)

How did the voting turn out? *happy face* *sad face* ?

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2017, 10:46am

Post #17 of 31 (610 views)
Shortcut
speaking of used book sales [In reply to] Can't Post

Our parish Women's Guild is in the midst of its annual 3-day sale. It began as a one-off event to raise money for new hymnals and proved so popular that we hold it every October.

I usually come home with more than I donated Wink. Dear fiance and I are tentatively planning a trip to the UK in late April, and I found 5 travel books for Great Britain and Ireland.

Autumn hasn't arrived in south Texas yet, so a cool horchata (rice drink) will go down smoothly.

Cheers to all.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2017, 1:29pm

Post #18 of 31 (580 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Well, look at it this way... [In reply to] Can't Post

Next year, you'll have even more books to donate! Laugh

Are you thinking of doing tour groups, or renting a car and heading out on your own, over in the UK?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2017, 1:32pm

Post #19 of 31 (577 views)
Shortcut
That stuff is heavy! [In reply to] Can't Post

The weight of those bags always surprises me, hope you recover with no problems! Did Midgey help with digging holes for the plants? Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2017, 1:34pm

Post #20 of 31 (576 views)
Shortcut
Glad you're feeling better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you make your own kefir?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2017, 1:42pm

Post #21 of 31 (581 views)
Shortcut
Crafts and Creations [In reply to] Can't Post

would be different from the Fan Art, in that it would be just one thread with everyone posting to it. I think there are some folks who might feel a bit uncomfortable with creating a thread for just their own item/book/whatever, but wouldn't mind at all sharing within a thread.

We've had a few shares during Fiesta, but a separate thread would help those stand out more, and might encourage more chatting about what people are doing. TORnfolks do tend to be very creative! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2017, 1:47pm

Post #22 of 31 (578 views)
Shortcut
And that way [In reply to] Can't Post

they all don't have to purchase so many volumes, they can "spread the cost"...

Granted, I have used inter-library loans, but then I don't expect one library to have, say, every book in "The Cat Who..." series! Laugh

But research institutions, where students rely on this stuff? Not everything can be found on the Internet - and you have to be careful with what you DO find!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2017, 8:18pm

Post #23 of 31 (543 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's really easy. :) And tasty.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 7 2017, 11:05pm

Post #24 of 31 (527 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

Voting results gave me a cautiously optimistic happy face...

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 7 2017, 11:09pm

Post #25 of 31 (524 views)
Shortcut
A bit better today, [In reply to] Can't Post

so hopefully I am on the mend. It is wet again which is probably a good way to continue the enforced rest.
Midgey is always super helpful in the garden, or at least he thinks he is. He has his own personal scrape/hole on the lawn and usually gives it a good going over when I am working in the garden. Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.