Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the October-is-here reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 3 2017, 2:37pm

Post #1 of 6 (294 views)
Shortcut
It's the October-is-here reading thread! Can't Post

October is my favorite month! I love the autumn, the cooler weather, the colors, the slanting light, that valedictory feeling of the year winding down.

I'm now listening to The Book Stops Here, by Kate Carlisle, one in a light mystery series about a bookbinder in San Francisco who gets involved in crimes. I enjoyed her behind-the-scenes description of a TV series she calls This Old Attic---in other words, Antiques Road Show---but other than that it's a very average story. So far at least.

One thing that annoys me about the audiobook is that the narrator has given the protagonist's British boyfriend the stuffiest and snobbiest of British accents, which doesn't make him the appealing character the author obviously intends him to be.

On paper I'm reading the ninth installment of Alexander McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series, The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds. In it, Isabel is caught up in the theft of a valuable painting and in helping out the young man who works in her niece's delicatessen. As always, there's a lot more entertaining and thought-provoking musing than actual plot. But it's all quiet and generally positive, so makes a great anodyne when compared to, say, the news. Unsure

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 3 2017, 2:48pm

Post #2 of 6 (275 views)
Shortcut
Don't Tell Alfred [In reply to] Can't Post

by Nancy Mitford. Fanny, the narrator of "The Pursuit of Love" and "Love in a Cold Climate," finds herself in Paris as her Oxford don husband (Alfred) gets posted there as the ambassador to France. Not as witty or light-hearted as the earlier novels, but some funny bits.

Just finished up my third time through all the "Kencyrath" novels by P.C. Hodgell. Resigning myself to waiting some years before the next (possibly final? things are drawing to the crisis point!) novel comes out.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 4 2017, 4:15pm

Post #3 of 6 (253 views)
Shortcut
picked up "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman yesterday at the library [In reply to] Can't Post

the book on which the show is based. Loving it so far. As one must expect these days, the student magicians on the television show are not as dorky and have a lot more sex than they do in the book, but the feel otherwise is similar.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

cats16
Valinor

Oct 5 2017, 3:25am

Post #4 of 6 (235 views)
Shortcut
A few things... [In reply to] Can't Post

Still slowly making my way through Foucault's Madness & Civilization, which is all very interesting.

Almost done rereading Children of Hurin--Turin's about to enter Brethil after learning Morwen left their home for Doriath. Things about about to go south!

Also reading a book called Gilles Deleuze's Time Machine, which is a book about the late philosopher's two books on cinema from the 80's. I'm a fan of Deleuze, so this is a great theoretical conjoining of two of my interests. The super quick logline of his main idea is (this is embarrassingly oversimplifying it) that pre-French New Wave cinema was a cinema mostly comprised of movement images--shots/sequences/narrative structures based on logical cause and effect between things happening in plot and the correlating images, and the way images are cut together. Then, he says, something called the time image came along, which, like a few French New Wave era films, basically were structured in ways that make our sense of space/time sometimes inexplicable, paradoxical, or just plain impossible to fully know/locate. It's a very tough read and I did it horrible justice there--it's chock full of semiotics and lots of other stuff that's hard to follow, but rewarding when it clicks in your brain.

Finally, I'm reading a collection of interviews with director Michelangelo Antonioni.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 9 2017, 12:19am

Post #5 of 6 (203 views)
Shortcut
Soulbonded: Shattered Destiny by AE Wasp [In reply to] Can't Post

The author of this gay-romance fantasy is a friend of mine. This is the second book in a series. She told me to "read slowly" because ends on a cliffhanger and she hasn't written the third one.

I'm enjoying this one more than the first one, though I enjoyed it too. The first one was a ghost story; this one is more traditional fantasy. A young man finds out he's the chosen champion of Fairy to fight the champion of chaos. The leader will lead the Wild Hunt. The young man has been raised in America as a Roma, with a brother who is his secret lover, which isn't really incestuous because his brother began life as a wooden doll brought to life by being inhabited by a sylph. In addition to worrying about the upcoming battle, they worry about being outed and losing their family, which is very traditional.

The sex scenes in this volume are less explicit, but I still skim through them. The writing is uneven; some of it is wonderfully lyrical, but it needs some copy editing. I think the first draft must have been in present tense and she changed her mind, but didn't catch it all, because the tense often changes within a sentence.

I'm willing to forgive the editing problems because I do enjoy the magic realism and find the story compelling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 10 2017, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 6 (182 views)
Shortcut
readers seem very forgiving these days [In reply to] Can't Post

says the editor, making a face as she imagines all the people influenced by these poorly written books to think that's how a book should be . . .

-- Gaston Bachelard

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.