Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 4:16pm

Post #1 of 90 (667 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone! Friday and the weekend are upon us and it's time to commiserate about the past week and the upcoming weekend, while enjoying a favorite virtual drinkie and/or nibble.

It's been uncharacteristically cloudy, wet and overcast here most of the week, with the sun poking through the clouds only now and then. Not too cold, but cold enough to remind us that winter is coming, haha. That means I'll be getting the turtlenecks and sweaters out of the extra room drawers this weekend. Other than that we'll be pet-sitting today and tomorrow, then running errands and watching football.

How about you? Order up your favorite libation and let us know!

*kicks juke box* "The House of the Rising Sun'" by The Animals starts to play

Happy, fun, (hopefully sunny) weekend, everyone!! HeartCoolSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 29 2017, 4:17pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 29 2017, 4:57pm

Post #2 of 90 (526 views)
Shortcut
*screech* I made it! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a crazy week here, too! The weather is cooling off, so I'm trying to get the last of the outside chories/projects done.

I also wanted to tip my hat at weaver. weaver honoured 9/29/16
It was one year ago today that we lost our beloved weaver, creator of TORn's own official holiday "Founders Day".

I must fly again... but I wanted to give everyone a hug and well wishes for the weekend :)

Thanks for taking such great care of us Altaira!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 5:18pm

Post #3 of 90 (517 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

...even if it's as a blur. Laugh

Oh gosh. Has it really been a year since the news about weaver? *raises glass* Your energy and wit will never be forgotten by us, dear weaver. You're dearly missed.

Thanks for the reminder, gramma, and have an amazing weekend. Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 5:26pm

Post #4 of 90 (520 views)
Shortcut
*comes blustering in* [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sunny, coolish, and slightly breezy here - perfect for walking first-grade classes the kilometer to the town library to pick up their very own town library cards and check out their first book from there! This is an annual event here, and a way of making sure each student does register there.

So let me sit and run a comb through my hair, and order an iced coffee (skim milk, please!), and put my feet up for a few minutes before we walk the next class there.

Pet-sitting! What kinds of pets - dogs, cats, cockatiels, lizards, Madagascar hissing cockroaches? (My youngest has a terrarium of those.)

In memory of Summer, and respect for the coming Winter: Joni Mitchell's Urge for Going,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8sdTOb6N68

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 5:29pm

Post #5 of 90 (518 views)
Shortcut
*raises glass* To weaver! [In reply to] Can't Post

She touched our lives with her artistry and knowledge and wit and joy - and we will never forget her. Heart

Until we meet again, at a certain Inn tucked away in a far, green country...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 5:57pm

Post #6 of 90 (516 views)
Shortcut
Hissing cockroaches?! [In reply to] Can't Post

An interesting choice for, erm, pets, lol. Though I have to admit to keeping spiders, grasshoppers, butterfly crysalis' and a snake or two in my younger days. No, this weekend will be two dogs that crave attention and two cats that we hardly ever see (probably due to the dogs, Laugh).

Sounds like perfect weather there, and how fun to watch the little ones get their first library books! Enjoy, and have a wonderful weekend. Smile

Ettelewen
Rohan

Sep 29 2017, 6:20pm

Post #7 of 90 (528 views)
Shortcut
Miruvor please, Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a rough week, I need some sustenance.

My Mom had what the doctors are calling a mini-stroke last weekend, and things have been a bit surreal since then. She's 90, and although she seems to have recovered physically her mind tends to wander from time to time. She's back home and the visiting nurse has said she's perfectly able to take care of herself but can no longer be allowed to drive, and should have at least someone checking in on her a few hours a day to run errands, etc. for awhile. Thankfully I was able to take a few days off from work, and my sister has arrived from her home in another state to stay with her for another week. After that, we'll see. Mom's not ready to move into an assisted-living arrangement and I won't force her to do that, so real life will be a bit different for a bit.

I thought I'd stop in for a virtual pick-me-up and good company for just a minute - I knew I could find it here.

*Cheers*

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 6:40pm

Post #8 of 90 (519 views)
Shortcut
A celebratory hot chocolate, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yesterday was the last Friday I'll be working for at least three months - my boss finally agreed to me trialling a four-day work week. After 19 years in the same job, I'm worn out ("stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread"). Also, having a three-day weekend will enable me to put more time into my own writing. (I might even get into the garden more!)

Getting my work done in four days will be a challenge but the success of it is in my hands now, and I'm determined to make it work. Smile

Has anyone got some movies they're looking forward to? The reviews for Bladerunner 2 look almost too good to be true - I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'll definitely see it. What's on your movie radar?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 6:45pm

Post #9 of 90 (509 views)
Shortcut
*shares a drink* [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine that this is a tough phase that you and the family are moving into. Try to also take time for yourself while you're also helping your mother - you both need you to be in a good state.

Is there some community support that can also help, either with your mother's care or to give you an outlet for talking or just some time out?

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Auxerre
Rivendell

Sep 29 2017, 6:46pm

Post #10 of 90 (518 views)
Shortcut
Hello old friend :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

You can do it - the 4-day work week sounds like a fantastic idea. Very happy for you that you get to demonstrate that you can do it!

My friends in NP have THREE kids now! I'm hoping to visit in the next year or two, so I'll keep in touch. Is Salt still there, above Puke Ariki?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 7:08pm

Post #11 of 90 (505 views)
Shortcut
Yes it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been a few changes in town since you were last here - it'd be great to see you again. :)

Ataahua's stories

Auxerre
Rivendell

Sep 29 2017, 7:16pm

Post #12 of 90 (501 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been five years, and I am very ready for a visit.

There's a new Mr, too - a kind, funny, gentle Brit :-)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 7:21pm

Post #13 of 90 (500 views)
Shortcut
{{Ettelewen}} [In reply to] Can't Post

So sorry to hear about your mom, but glad that it wasn't worse. She must be an amazing lady to be otherwise doing so well at 90! The nurse's feedback was encouraging, so take comfort in that. I'd echo Ataahua's words about looking for church or other community help. Medicare could also be useful in getting part-time professional help, but you're probably already well-versed in all of that.

{Hugs} and prayers to you and your family. SmileHeart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 7:36pm

Post #14 of 90 (493 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on the changed in schedule! My sister worked 4 10s for years and really liked it. Hopefully, getting everything done in four days will add a bit of freshness and challenge to the job, and more days off should definitely help the metal dullness if it doesn't (or the freshness doesn't last).

As for movies, Blade Runner does look good - 97% on Rotten Tomatoes so far. Being a lover of horror/sci-fi I'd also like to see It, and am looking forward to The Mountain Between Us because I love, love, love Idris Elba, and teaming him and Kate Winslet seems like a winning combination.

Happy, mentally uplifting weekend! LaughSmile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 7:38pm

Post #15 of 90 (500 views)
Shortcut
Auxerre! [In reply to] Can't Post

Holey moley is it good to see you here! Smile

It sounds like life is treating you well if a new mister and an upcoming adventure to Middle-earth are some of what's going on in your life. Miss your smile and miss you around here. Heart

Auxerre
Rivendell

Sep 29 2017, 7:49pm

Post #16 of 90 (497 views)
Shortcut
:-) [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys have been on my mind lately so I thought I'd stop by and see how the old homeplace looks these days. Nice to see you, too! Heart

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Sep 29 2017, 8:24pm

Post #17 of 90 (495 views)
Shortcut
*happy dance of anticipation* [In reply to] Can't Post

Tomorrow I get to see my adult daughter and meet her current boyfriend for brunch at a Mexican restaurant here. She lives in Los Angeles and I haven't seen her for almost three years, as she has so many memories of her dad/my husband before his passing that she doesn't visit San Antonio.

In preparation I went to my favorite beauty school for a trim and style -- and discovered the place is closing. Some of you can relate to the difficulty of finding the right person to care for your Elven-locks.

Texas to the south is still recovering from Hurricane Harvey, and our city is sheltering a number of evacuees. At least the power down there is back on, unlike our poor brothers and sisters in Puerto Rico.

In other news I am almost finished with my parents' estates and my income tax; soon I hope to move cartons of their papers out of the living room.

Best wishes to all TORnsibs as October arrives.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Ettelewen
Rohan

Sep 29 2017, 10:36pm

Post #18 of 90 (472 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there's a local Senior Services chapter in her small town, and we're in touch with them regarding some part-time help with running errands and such. According to the nurse who re-evaluated her yesterday she's actually progressing well. It's just not known at this point whether she'll make a full recovery, but the signs appear to be favorable.

Ettelewen
Rohan

Sep 29 2017, 10:40pm

Post #19 of 90 (474 views)
Shortcut
{{Altaira}} [In reply to] Can't Post

Your hugs and prayers are so very appreciated!

A speech and cognition therapist just saw her and thinks she's doing well considering, and that her mental confusion may well be due to an anti-siezure medication they have her on temporarily. If so that would be wonderful - at least it's a problem we could solve.

Thanks for your support.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 29 2017, 10:51pm

Post #20 of 90 (482 views)
Shortcut
Woo, half day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our office closed at lunch in observation of Yom Kippur. Nice to actually see the sun for a change. Angelic I'll take another raspberry lemonade, please! *raises glass to weaver*

I just remembered that the Museum of Contemporary Art is doing a book sale this weekend. I may swing by before the end of the work day to beat rush hour.

My friend that lives between here and San Diego is coming for another visit this weekend. We're going on a tour of the Scientology center, so that'll be...interesting, to say the least.

I'm currently debating on whether or not to take a trip abroad during my winter break. We (surprisingly) get two weeks off, so it'd be a great time to go somewhere far away and explore using some money I've saved up. However, I feel bad taking off around the holidays, which is the only time of year I can go home to visit family. Hmm, decisions to be made! My mom gave me an enthusiastic approval via text, so I'm doing better than expected at this point. Cool

Have a great weekend, everyone! Sending love (and cash) to everyone in Puerto Rico, if any 'sibs live/have family there.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 29 2017, 10:52pm

Post #21 of 90 (473 views)
Shortcut
{{hugs}} [In reply to] Can't Post

Keeping you, your mom and the rest of your family in my thoughts.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 29 2017, 11:10pm

Post #22 of 90 (478 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope the new schedule lets you regather yourself and prioritize the extra time the way you need it. Good luck on the writing!

And for movies, here are a few things coming this year. Not sure when things are showing in NZ, but they're good to have on your radar if nothing else!

The Florida Project
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Lady Bird
Call Me by Your Name
All the Money in the World
I, Tonya

These will all be awards contenders. Trailers are online, except for the last one!

And a movie coming out next year I'm excited for is called Annihilation. It's by the director who made Ex, Machina (if you saw that). It very well may be next year's Arrival. Trailer is online for that, too!

Ettelewen
Rohan

Sep 29 2017, 11:42pm

Post #23 of 90 (468 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much, cats. [In reply to] Can't Post

Our support group here helps a lot. Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 11:57pm

Post #24 of 90 (461 views)
Shortcut
That's great to hear. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the signs appear to be favorable.

And having volunteers help with errands would also give your mother contact with people during the day, which has its own health benefits. :)

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 29 2017, 11:58pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2017, 11:59pm

Post #25 of 90 (462 views)
Shortcut
I have a question. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is it surprising to have two weeks off? Is it the timing of the break, or the number of weeks you have?

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.