The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The nazguls weapons of fear against Numenoreans

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Sep 29 2017, 2:00pm

Post #1 of 10 (1381 views)
Shortcut
The nazguls weapons of fear against Numenoreans Can't Post

The nazguls screams and appearance seems to scare the crap out of most men, but were the numenoreans and later the dunedains of Arnor more stronger in will power to resist the nazguls?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 8 2017, 1:05pm

Post #2 of 10 (1258 views)
Shortcut
I've never thought about that before... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope someone more knowledgeable has a really great answer for you; but looking at their encounters in the stories, I really think you've got something there! I definitely think it's in their blood to have a strength common men (and women) don't usually have. Of course, saying that... I think of Dernhelm / Eowyn standing against the Lord of the Nazgul alone and in the heat of the battlefield. Time and again she proved to have more to her than most individuals.

But as to the question about Numenorean/Dunedain having the willpower to resist... I think between their genes, heritage and history... they most definitely would never run from the primary representatives of the Dark Lord.

Thanks for this... I'm definitely going to do some more thinking about this :)

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Oct 11 2017, 12:07am

Post #3 of 10 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Nazgul and Dunedain [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for answering.

I always wondered about the nazgul weapon of terror against men. If the Witch King were that powerful during Angmar's war, Arnor would have fallen in matters of days than years.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2017, 11:02am

Post #4 of 10 (1144 views)
Shortcut
True! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how, in the films, Jackson shows that the presence of the Nazgul even scared away birds (hear them fluttering away) and worms/bugs when the hobbits are hiding from the Black Rider under the tree root. ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2017, 11:59am

Post #5 of 10 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Or were the bugs and things answering his call? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lining up to report so to speak. Evil/Bad creatures respond while good creatures run.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 3:18am

Post #6 of 10 (1117 views)
Shortcut
There ya go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's definitely a possibility!

Can you imagine the 9 sitting there waiting for worms, beetles and centipedes to crawl out and get into battle formation? ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Oct 12 2017, 9:36pm

Post #7 of 10 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Faramir and Boromir resisted the nazgul? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now that's definitely a possibility!

Can you imagine the 9 sitting there waiting for worms, beetles and centipedes to crawl out and get into battle formation? ;)

If their appearance were so terrible, how could Boromir and Faramir reclaim Osgiliath from them? Or do the nazgul back down if fearless men wants to fight them?

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 9:43pm

Post #8 of 10 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the Nazgûl were off fumigating Barad-dûr? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, they can't be everywhere, and if Sauron wants his cockroach infestation problem solved, he wants it solved *now*!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Oct 12 2017, 10:12pm

Post #9 of 10 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Osgiliath [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I mean, they can't be everywhere, and if Sauron wants his cockroach infestation problem solved, he wants it solved *now*!

But shouldn't his main focus be have control over Osgiliath tha losing i? A strategic important city.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 13 2017, 1:10pm

Post #10 of 10 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

An infestation of thousands and thousands of cockroaches all the size of Shelob might well take precedence. Keeping the home front secure first and foremost is a prime military dictum.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.