Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Help with Research for Biology Paper
Poll: Help with Research for Biology Paper
I am not particularly artistic/academic/athletic and neither are any of my family.
I am not particularly artistic/academic/athletic but members of immediate family are.
I have an artistic/academic/athletic inclination, but none of my immediate family does.
I have an artistic/academic/athletic inclination and one or more members of my immediate family do too.
I am inclined to all three and my children are only inclined towards one.
I am inclined to one and one of my parents is inclined to all three.
I am inclined to all three and my parents combined are inclined to all three.
I am inclined to one and my siblings to others.
My siblings and I are all inclined to the same area.
I am inclined towards more than one, none of my siblings have these inclinations and only one parent has one of these inclinations.
View Results (19 votes)

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Sep 28 2017, 4:20am

Post #1 of 10 (6215 views)
Shortcut
Help with Research for Biology Paper Can't Post

I'm looking at how genetics may affect creativity. Do kids inherit artistic, academic or athletic skills from their parents? If there are multiple children, will one get an athletic gene while another gets musical talent? Or do genetics have nothing to do with it at all?

I honestly don't know how much research has been done on this, but I want to try to conduct my own experiment.

Please select the answers that best describe your situation and leave a comment explaining. The more specific you are in your comment, the better, as I'm sure I will not be able to think of every possible response.

Much appreciated and very interested to see your answers!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2017, 6:02pm

Post #2 of 10 (6157 views)
Shortcut
Other. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm inclined to one and my parents were inclined to the same one (although in different disciplines).

Annael
Immortal

Sep 29 2017, 5:06pm

Post #3 of 10 (6085 views)
Shortcut
thinking about it [In reply to] Can't Post

we got the trifecta in my family! Especially if you include music as "artistic."

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Oct 2 2017, 4:22am

Post #4 of 10 (6059 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Oct 2 2017, 4:23am

Post #5 of 10 (6058 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! Yes, I do absolutely count music!!! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 2 2017, 5:01pm

Post #6 of 10 (6006 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't tease out all your possibilities, so I"ll post a reply [In reply to] Can't Post

and you can categorize it.

I'm a math teacher, and so were both of my parents. My mom was the only girl math major in her college when she was there. Two of my dad's siblings were math teachers, and another was an engineer. My mom's mother was hopeless and math and purposely chose a college to attend on the basis that it didn't have a math requirement. Her dad was a writer and reporter.

My siblings are historians (they have PhDs in history), an interest shared by my father. They're not really interested in math.

My mom was always learning new languages, and so has my brother. He's fluent in Turkish. (My mom said at age 60 that Turkish was going to be her last language,and she was right.) My dad learned German and a smattering of other languages, which is more like my sister and me (with Spanish). I find it pretty easy to learn songs in all kinds of languages, though, and recently read the first chapter of Genesis in Hebrew with the help of a dictionary.

I'm pretty musical. My parents and siblings and kids took high school band, but didn't pursue much music beyond that, though my mom wasn't too bad on the piano. I have an ability to hear a song and know what the chords should be, and I'm always a little surprised that there are other musicians who can't do that. Before my stroke I found it easy to pick up new instruments and figure out how to play them. I do not have perfect pitch, though.

My sister and daughter and I all write novels as a hobby (and my sister and I self-publish). My son is a good writer (and a software engineer) but he's not prolific. As I said, my mother's father was newspaper writer. He was also always taking up new hobbies, much like my mom and me.

My parents were avid dancers and hikers, and so am I. I don't really think of it as "athletic" ability, more of an interest, but dancing is a physical ability, I guess. My siblings were avid dancers in their youth, and they also like hiking. We do international folk dancing, which brings together the physical, language, and music interests.

My daughter is artistic, something she shares with her dad and one of my sister's two daughters.

Good luck with all that :-D

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Oct 2 2017, 5:03pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 2 2017, 6:43pm

Post #7 of 10 (5993 views)
Shortcut
I am inclined to one and my siblings to another [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how much this is (or isn't) related to your paper, but let me try to explain. I've often thought that some people were "math people" and some were "language people," largely based on the fact that my mother, sister and brother were definitely "math people." They got algebra, calculus, etc, and I don't. BUT learning the quirks of English spelling and grammer were pretty easy for me, and those same family members would ask me how certain words were spelled, etc. I see a similar trait in my two daughters. The older one majored and worked as a Journalist for a couple of years. She's now learning JavaScript and getting quite a name for herself, but she must consult her younger sister for math help. The younger daughter took College Algebra online, over the summer, when she was 16. Finished 2 weeks early with an "A." She's a Chemical Engineering major right now (no, I'm not bragging, LOL!).

But IMO much of this also has to do with your interests and determination. My brother was lazy, he would be failing his High School classes at the 9-week mark, turn in his late homework and push the grades back up to an "A." There are always talented people who waste their talents, while others succeed more on hard work than innate ability. Like I said, my older daughter is making a switch to a more technical field, and she's succeeding due to her finding the subject interesting AND being determined to succeed. I truly believe that a willingness to work gets you much farther in life than any innate talent you might have, though having the talent doesn't hurt!Cool

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2017, 1:06pm

Post #8 of 10 (5219 views)
Shortcut
Should you be differentiating between latent ability and interest? [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother and I both exhibit creative talent which we have pursued and developed. My father, I discovered, had artistic abilities but no interest in cultivating them, preferring numbers and all things financial. I was actually stunned when I discovered something he had hand-drawn when quite young of Disney cartoon characters. They were so precise, they looked nearly traced!

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Dec 13 2017, 2:01am

Post #9 of 10 (2490 views)
Shortcut
ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister and I (no other siblings) are both very academically inclined, and I would say that both parents are fairly academically inclined as well (my dad would disagree; he does not think that he is "smart").
Sis and I are both musically talented (I would say she more than I), our dad is an excellent singer and has a good ear for music, our mom not so much.
Athletics - none of us are particularly talented but we all enjoy various activities.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2018, 1:59pm

Post #10 of 10 (2288 views)
Shortcut
Sorry I'm late! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a 65yo gramma who has experienced an inclination toward writing and art (sketching, rug-hooking, crafts, painting, fanfic, etc.). I'm not saying I'm good at any of it, but I love doing it!

The interesting story here is that I take after my paternal Grandmother (artist, rug-hooking, writer, etc.), and my Granddaughter is an extremely good artist and writer (pursuing in college now). The inclination for sketching and painting is the strongest thread that runs between us that neither my parents or my 4 siblings or my 2 children showed an interest in... even in a recreational form. Although my Mother was a very effective formal letter-writer and helped all 5 of her children in school report writing with great knowledge.

Another quirky connection between the 3 generations, we all share a name. My Grandmother's first name is both my Granddaughter and my middle-name.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.