Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What and HOW are you watching? September 24

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2017, 4:06pm

Post #1 of 17 (861 views)
Shortcut
What and HOW are you watching? September 24 Can't Post

Sigh... was looking forward to new Star Trek but have found out after the first episode it will only be available through CBS all access streaming....

Won't such a move immediately reduce the number of people who will be able to watch the show?

I get CBS and other networks are in for the money and that cable companies (unfortunately Spectrum in my case ) are also out to make money and that the two are having their own little wars over how to distribute and at what price .... but really there's got to be a better way for the consumer than having every channel go a la carte at 5.99 a month.....

Oh well hope the show survives and will eventually end up available to me in rerums.....

Saw the end of The Sinner -- which I think I need to rewatch (spoilers ahead -- you've been warned)

--- the parents of the guy she stabbed KNEW who she was and never said anything.....nicely organized set of twists and red herrings that didn't treat the audience like idiots.

Zoo --- I think I'm one behind on this one (blame Spectrum and CBS for when they release episodes to On Demand) .... it was the of course the baby's father is really my long lost son episode.... so there's one one to the season/???series??? finale ?? has it been renewed. If so... why other than the fact it's like watching a train wreck you take take your eyes off of it.

End of the The Strain - I think there was a whole lot left out of the books... will have to check the library to see if I can get all of them at once... The logic of setting off a nuke in New York (two really) and still having people living there just fractures my mind and making Zach the ultimate hero gags me.... there was no redeeming the little creep in my thoughts ... it does track.

Master Chef --- OMG Dino is the winner --- how the heck ---

Face Off - Game Face -- they must be exhausted after doing three make up sessions in a row.... surely the "losers" get something other than the exposure??

Their Finest Hour based on the book Their Finest Hour and a Half about British films being made during WWII -- Was fair as the end was pretty obviously set up.... had limited release in US I believe -- part of locale International Film Series

Have only managed one episode of The Vietnam War -- it actually requires me to pay attention to keep the names and dates and places even the slightest bit straight and my normal TV style is to grade papers and make lesson plans while watching.

Any way.... what are you watching and HOW --

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 24 2017, 6:13pm

Post #2 of 17 (781 views)
Shortcut
There's a new Stark Trek show? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to Google it to see what it's about. :)

Wonder Woman's out on DVD (yes, I'm old-school) and it was great to revisit the film. Thankfully the chap at the shop took the DVD I had selected out of my hands and replaced it with one that has 90 minutes of extras - I'll be watching those this week. Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2017, 10:52pm

Post #3 of 17 (767 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek Discovery [In reply to] Can't Post

set before Kirk ....

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2017, 2:40pm

Post #4 of 17 (738 views)
Shortcut
"Outlander" online - SPOILERS!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Outlander" Season 3, plus binge-watching Seasons 1 & 2, all online mostly through paying extra for Starz on Amazon Prime. I also watched Season 2 of "Preacher" by paying for a season pass (since I no longer pay for cable or DishNet) - what do they have in common? This guy!

Somehow managed to NOT rewatch "The Hobbit" this weekend, guess Outlander's keeping me pretty busy. As for the HOW, well my hubby has bought some kind of streaming device that will allegedly allow me to keep watching "Outlander" WITHOUT paying extra for Starz - yeah, not real sold on that but it does appear to be working, so he's cancelled Starz off of his Amazon Prime account (what a meany-head!Mad), while promising me I can keep watching Season 3. Anyway, about "Outlander" *SPOILERS*

No, I didn't see Dougal, but I DID see Murtaugh!!! I understand he died in the book, in fact I think maybe they gave his death speech to Rupert (not sure, never read it), but I guess TPTB reacted favorably to the "Save Murtaugh" campaign, so yay to that! Of course, at the end of the episode Murtaugh gets shipped off to the Colonies as an indentured servant - I suppose it leaves a way for him to return. Not so for Frank/Black Jack, but after the end of Season 2 that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Still, the show handled it very nicely, giving Frank a pretty good send-off. And now we can get ready for the big Jamie-Claire reunion, woohoo!!!Cool

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 25 2017, 4:05pm

Post #5 of 17 (733 views)
Shortcut
and written by [In reply to] Can't Post

the brilliant minds who gave us "Pushing Daisies," sadly cancelled after only two seasons by execs who didn't appreciate its weird wonderfulness.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 25 2017, 4:07pm

Post #6 of 17 (733 views)
Shortcut
been watching some of the Vietnam show [In reply to] Can't Post

having lived through all of that, it brings up a lot of memories.

The parallels to current events are . . . interesting . ..

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Sep 25 2017, 4:08pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 25 2017, 7:07pm

Post #7 of 17 (700 views)
Shortcut
I've been watching "The Dice Tower" on youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow I've been immersing myself in boardgames recently, maybe to hide out from the world news. https://www.youtube.com/user/thedicetower

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 25 2017, 7:07pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26 2017, 8:56pm

Post #8 of 17 (643 views)
Shortcut
Arcadia of My Youth: Endless Orbit SSX [In reply to] Can't Post

I was first exposed to this anime series in the mid-1980s on second-generation VHS bootlegs when that was the only way to see it in the States. This was the television-series follow up to the Arcadia of My Youth anime feature that was the origin story for the space pirate Captain Harlock. The 22-episode series followed the early exploits of Captain Harlock, his friend Tochiro and the pirate-queen Emeraldas. I haven't seen this show in over 30 years!

Arcadia of My Youth: Endless Orbit SSX the complete series has been released on DVD (3 discs; in Japanese with English subtitles). I've only watched the first disc (7 episodes) so far, but the show is holding up pretty well. I could have hoped for a better remastering, but wasn't really expecting one for a DVD-only release. It still looks and sounds pretty good, all things considered. The show is highly romanticized space-opera, so the stories were generally pretty easy to follow even before I could tell what was being spoken; and being familiar with the movie didn't hurt either. I've only recently watched the original Space Pirate Captain Harlock series on Tubi TV and have only seen a bit of Leiji Matsumoto's original manga (which I can't read anyway).

You can probably tell from my icon that I am already a fan of the series and was pretty much destined to love this release. If it seems like something that you would like too, check it out!

Japanese DVD art

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

Maciliel
Valinor

Sep 26 2017, 9:11pm

Post #9 of 17 (640 views)
Shortcut
parks and recreation, ds9, voyager [In reply to] Can't Post

parks and recreation --- don't watch network tv, so hadn't seen this show at all. it swept me away with it's humor and it's heart.

ds9 -- rewatched for the umpteenth time. such great writing and acting. superb.

voyager -- rewatched for the umpteenth time. kate mulgrew was a force of nature. some lovely acting and character development among the ensemble cast.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Sep 27 2017, 6:43am

Post #10 of 17 (607 views)
Shortcut
Burns/Novick are such masters [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately the broadcast is a time of day when I'm sleepy; I'll have to rewatch most of the episodes.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Sep 27 2017, 5:44pm

Post #11 of 17 (574 views)
Shortcut
The road less travelled [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two sides to marrying Mr./Ms. "good enough". Sometimes, waiting for a perfect match leaves you alone, but the other side of the coin is exactly what happened to Claire.
Until bitterness finally made him cruel in the end, Frank (at least TV Frank) was a good man who would have treated Claire well and supported her passion for her work, but he wasn't truly Claire's soul-mate in the way Jaime is. In her case, Claire's decision to marry "good enough" ultimately made them both miserable and denied Frank the chance to be with someone who loved him more than Claire did, which in some ways was even worse than Claire's lot, as she at least got to have Jaime.
Interested to see what happens with Jaime and Lord John Grey. I understand he's a fan favorite who book readers have been eagerly waiting to show up again and even has his own spin-off book series.

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2017, 2:22am

Post #12 of 17 (496 views)
Shortcut
Whew! E4 was one HOT episode! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my...Blush

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2017, 2:31am

Post #13 of 17 (497 views)
Shortcut
POLDARK!!! *potential spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

So, having survived "Outlander" Episode 4 (if you watched it, you'll know what I meanShocked), we in America got our first episode of Poldark Season 3. And if anyone else out there watched it, I've got a few questions/comments:

1. Still managed a shirtless Aidan scene - no complaints HERE!
2. Jeffrey Charles is my FAVORITE character - who else thinks so?
3. Who else wants to smack Elizabeth, and what is her problem anyway? Is she going to ignore the new baby just because she doesn't know who the Daddy is?
4. Speaking of Soap Opera Plot #2, I'm not sure if the original series revealed who the Daddy was. I'm awfully inclined to think it's Ross, but I suppose it could still be George's boy.
5. Naaaaa, no way, LOL!

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Oct 3 2017, 2:43pm

Post #14 of 17 (479 views)
Shortcut
Jeffrey Charles is awesome :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, he's got a long way to go before George doesn't have legal power over him anymore, so I'm a bit worried...
I also must give a shout-out to Aunt Agatha, who's also not having any of George despite his power over her. I really think she might be better off with Ross or Verity, although I get that it would metaphorically kill her to leave the house she has every legal right to stay in through her golden years.
Sadly, I also think things aren't going to end well for Demelza's younger brother.
Re: the baby, the way I'm seeing it, she knows darn well who the daddy is - which is exactly why she faked a fall: the math doesn't add up to it being George's.

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 4 2017, 4:18pm

Post #15 of 17 (464 views)
Shortcut
Still watching "The Orville" - I can't look away [In reply to] Can't Post

and actually, Episode 4 rocked with a cool premise, nicely realized. The 21st-century jokes & attitudes are still at war with the 24th-century tech, but there was more actual plot this time.

-- Gaston Bachelard

cats16
Valinor

Oct 5 2017, 3:58am

Post #16 of 17 (434 views)
Shortcut
A few things... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bottle Rocket: Wes Anderson's first feature. It's an indie comedy that grew on me the more I sat on it afterewards. There are shades of Anderson's trademark style, but this also feels a bit more loose and at ease with being a bit screwy and off-kilter in its own way.

Un Histoire D'eau: A short film co-directed by Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffaut. They made this one year before their respective hits that defined the New Wave (Breathless and The 400 Blows). Really interesting to see the audiovisual language of those films in a slightly more primitive state. The film works very well on its own and is more interesting than many features, being only 12ish minutes long.

Red Desert: Michelangelo Antonioni's first film in color. Another eerie, astounding piece of work. I really admire this one.

mother! (twice; spoilers potentially coming): I saw this twice, the second time being able to watch the entirety as an absurdist comedy, which I believe it is at heart. It's a more nightmarish Luis Bunuel film, in other words. I found the second half very interesting--not for the crazy (some say controversial) subject matter, but for its movement between sequences and its use of nonlinear time. I'm quiet bored by the discussion about 'it is a metaphor for this and this part symbolizes that Biblical element,' but I'm glad to see something like this getting a major studio release.

City Lights: I was ashamed of having not watched an entire Charlie Chaplin film before this weekend. I corrected that in the best way possible, which was by watching this movie. Chaplin was a wizard. I enjoyed this one a great deal.

Cheers - S1: This has been my mindless during-the-work-week show while I'm eating dinner. I watched it out of order in syndication when I was younger, so it's nice to start from the beginning. A simple premise that hits a home run. And like all cultural products, it's very interesting as a peek into its era, the 80's.

I know I'm missing others, but that's all I've got for now!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 13 2017, 7:00pm

Post #17 of 17 (347 views)
Shortcut
I just finished it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was late watching it because I didn't think I had access to it. Found it very moving and also interesting because I remember being a kid and teenager when that was going on. The parallels are interesting. It got my 13 year old granddaughter and I talking about the Kent State shootings.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.