Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Complete History of Middle-earth Hardcover Special Edition - Did we know about this?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2017, 9:36pm

Post #1 of 8 (837 views)
Shortcut
Complete History of Middle-earth Hardcover Special Edition - Did we know about this? Can't Post

Just noticed this entry while browsing on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/...tory+of+middle+earth

Price for the set is $168. Where we aware this was being released (tomorrow, apparently)? To my knowledge, most of the books in the collection have been out of print for some time, yes?

I've never owned (nor even read) the collection, though I did recently snatch up the first two volumes (Book of Lost Tales) a couple months ago when I saw them at Barnes & Noble. I'm strongly considering placing an order.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

squire
Half-elven

Sep 21 2017, 12:14am

Post #2 of 8 (799 views)
Shortcut
OK, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very surprised that the publisher, having taken the trouble to package the series for new purchasers, hasn't included Vol. 13, the master Index.

Of course, it depends on what one wants the HoME set for! But I do end up looking up odd bits and pieces of the legendarium in my mis-matched motley of HoME books (purchased over half a decade of increasing immersion in Tolkien studies), and I have often considered coughing up for Vol. 13.

Do we think this is a "prestige" or "coffee table" set, for showing off on ones shelves rather than for reading and study? Only the latter users are really being screwed out of a very useful volume that could well be, and in my opinion should be, part of an immense boxed set that's on the market for the big bucks.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2017, 12:33am

Post #3 of 8 (796 views)
Shortcut
Isn't that just a compilation... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of the indexes that are found at the end of each volume? If so, wouldn't it be repetitive to also include them all together, at the end of the set?

Or does the "master index" include something missing from the individual ones?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

squire
Half-elven

Sep 21 2017, 1:10am

Post #4 of 8 (797 views)
Shortcut
Oh, it makes a difference [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you're right (as far as I know - I don't have the book) that the Vol. 13 Index does not contain more information than the twelve individual indexes in the original volumes.

But let's just say you were interested in Tolkien's development of the character of Elrond, or in whether he changed his conception of Telperion, the original White Tree, over the course of his writings from 1916 to 1973. Would you enjoy looking for the references in twelve different indexes, not even knowing if each volume even had a mention of the term in question? Or wouldn't it be luverly if you could look in just one place and know just exactly where all the references were?

As I said, the master index is for study and research, not for a casual reader. But unless one has the electronic texts of the series (Shhh!), the master index is a very useful book to have - and as I said, should really be a part of any collector's set unless one is just collecting for bookshelf, rather than Tolkien studies, purposes. (Not to be snarky: I can't believe very many people really purchase HoME at all unless they are actually interested in Tolkien studies.)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2017, 1:21am

Post #5 of 8 (784 views)
Shortcut
Well, in any case, hopefully... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's omission will not get in the way of my reading of the series (should I get the set). I imagine it would be missed most upon wishing to revisit select passages afterward.

- Viggo Mortensen

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 21 2017, 1:52am

Post #6 of 8 (793 views)
Shortcut
Yes. It's still very useful, though it has one notable omission. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've used the HoMe index many times, and recommend it to any devotee of the series, but be advised that Christopher Tolkien's introductions to each volume were apparently written after each book's index was created, which means that occasionally there is a useful tidbit that the series index (often a note updating some point in earlier volumes) likewise will not turn up.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2017, 6:55am

Post #7 of 8 (765 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, listed as "Out of Stock" now... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's not coming out after all (not yet anyway).

- Viggo Mortensen

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 3 2017, 10:30am

Post #8 of 8 (613 views)
Shortcut
I do have some info on this set [In reply to] Can't Post

This set is of course meant to match the Deluxe Editions that Harper Collins has been releasing all of Tolkien's works in since the early 2000s. It was originally scheduled for release on 21 September but apparently there's been a delay and (after checking with my local bookstore) I learnt that the suppliers are providing new dates between end-November and 1 December.

So long story short, this set is supposedly still planned for release, but it's anybody's guess as to what led to the delay. The most likely answer is a production issue given the nature of this entire set.

Although I am hoping against hope it has to do with a design change I suggested - I admit I emailed the publishers a while back to give them my feedback on the gilt Tolkien sigil they've used on the cover and the outer box. These don't match the existing deluxe editions at all. Besides using the titles of the books on the outer box to match the previous boxes, I also suggested they use one of Tolkien's elf-house motifs on the book covers instead (because won't those be more apt for these books?)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.