Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Simply Walk: App Development Progress, or How Boromir was Right

tinkermarm
Bree

Sep 20 2017, 12:17am

Post #1 of 5 (250 views)
Shortcut
Simply Walk: App Development Progress, or How Boromir was Right Can't Post

One does not simply walk into Mordor. But what if we could?

This is a thread that I'm starting due to the encouragement of a few other folks here who were interested in hearing about the development process for the walking-to-Mordor app that is currently in production here.

The general concept of the app is that you walk, and it records your mileage and shows where you are on the map of Middle-earth. Fairly simple in concept, but what started as a simple project has expanded quickly. It all started with some notes. And then Emil Johansson from www.lotrproject.com graciously permitted the use of his map. Then things started to take off...sort of.

Unfortunately, I have to keep this narrative somewhat abbreviated tonight, but I'll plan to be posting updates about every week or two.

Thanks for stoping by and stay tuned for some geeky stuff about maps, why Middle-earth is flat (just kidding...mostly), and how books are really useful. There might be some programming stuff in here, too, for anyone who's interested, and anything else related that seems post-worthy... Smile

The road goes ever on and on...

Trixie Hobbit
The Shire

Sep 20 2017, 12:39pm

Post #2 of 5 (217 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for working on this app, it should make walking a lot more interesting! I look forward to your updates.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 20 2017, 7:42pm

Post #3 of 5 (203 views)
Shortcut
This is going to make the Walk so much fun :D THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

tinkermarm
Bree

Nov 1 2017, 10:13pm

Post #4 of 5 (117 views)
Shortcut
Sincerest and Humblest Apologies on the Delay [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Trixie and gramma,

Halloooo! First of all, thank you so much for your enthusiasm about the app. In spite of my silence here, I have begun to make some very excellent progress with it and am finally happy with how it is coming along.

I had hoped to do updates fairly regularly, and I still intend to, but when I begin to do them at even-ish intervals is still a bit up in the air. (I started this perhaps a little too idealistically right before going out of town on a business trip and then got back to a ton of things that needed to be taken care of before settling into a more fixed routine; am finally getting there with the routine thing and hope to post more soon.)

A brief update:
To map out the path that Frodo and Sam took, I have to manually plot every point on the path so that I can draw the path in pieces as you walk. Even at just one point per mile walked, it's a *lot* of pieces.

Along with that, I was struggling with being able to get the data on the Eowyn's Challenge site to match up properly with the path that is on the map at lotrproject.com. (I'm being fairly meticulous--a.k.a. nerdy--about trying to sync up miles as close to where they are on the map as possible.) After several Google searches and analyses of different maps of Middle Earth, I realized I was missing a critical tool for my project: The Atlas of Middle Earth. My dad has a copy, but it turned out to be a first edition, and I didn't want to risk damaging it leafing through it constantly while building the app. I picked up a cheap paperback copy on Amazon, and it was *exactly* what I was looking for. Boy, do I have appreciation for all that Ms. Fonstad put into that book!

So, I have been coding a bit every night after work. I would like to try (with emphasis on the *try*) to get something out by early next year. At this point, I am just taking my time to make sure that it's actually a good app and not just haphazardly assembled to get it finished.

I'm coming up on the part where I'm plotting out the path through the Trollshaws on the way to Rivendell. In the Atlas there are two possible paths that the hobbits may have taken and I'm curious to know: which of those do you guys think I should use for the app? I'm going to post this question in the Pollantir to see what kind of a response I get.

Anyway, thanks again for being interested, and apologies for the delay! Hopefully I will be able to be around more (although that is a tad iffy due to some work circumstances through at least mid-December).

Cheers! :)

tinkermarm
Bree

Nov 1 2017, 10:14pm

Post #5 of 5 (117 views)
Shortcut
Hi, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I responded to you in the post above. Just wanted to let you know. Hope you're well!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.