Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
**Party Time** A QTNA: Six degrees of geek or magnificent obsession by hobbitlove

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 12:54pm

Post #1 of 11 (635 views)
Shortcut
**Party Time** A QTNA: Six degrees of geek or magnificent obsession by hobbitlove Can't Post

I came across this GREAT game from our own hobbitlove from 2008. I thought it would be fun to share it again... because geeks never tire of excercising our obsessions ;) Here goes:

EVERYONE! WELCOME!

For anyone who may not be familiar with QTNA, this is an ongoing discussion thread that shows up about every couple of weeks, and asks (and tries to answer) any and all questions about that trilogy of movies that we never get tired of discussing.

This is QTNA: Questions That Need Answering. This week we want to ask: Are you a geek, and if so, how geeky are you?

Dictionary.com and American Heritage Dictionary have not caught up to popular culture, especially not our fan culture. These are their definitions of geek:

GEEK
Dictionary.com
geek Slang.
–noun
1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
[Origin: 1915- 20; prob. var. of geck (mainly Scots) fool < D or LG gek]
—Related forms
geeky, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary
geek (g&#275;k) Pronunciation Key
n.
1. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
3. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.
tr.v. geeked, geek·ing, geeks
To excite emotionally: I'm geeked about that new video game.
[Perhaps alteration of dialectal geck, fool, from Low German gek, from Middle Low German.]
geek'y adj.

Not what we are about. Yuck!

So, today, we get to define geekiness for ourselves. You have to ask yourself, well, I do anyway, how did geek get to be our word, and is it good to be a geek? Maybe more on this later. For now, we have some geeky questions to test our geekiness.
After testing your geekiness, you will find your geek rating code at the bottom of this post.

1. Who is this?
*5 points*

Bonus question: What other famous character(s) did he do?
*10 points*

2. What is important (to a geek) about October 11th, 1999?
*10 points*

3. Can you give us the who, what, when, where, or why of this photo?
*20 points*

If you don't like those questions, try this bonus question.

Where was this (one of my favorite) photo taken?
*20 points*

and...

this bonus question:
*20 points*
Who was sitting down front watching our dear EJW at this event? Hint: It is someone well known around The One Ring.net. ( Actually, there are at least 2 sibbies)

4. Have you ever 'done' the entire trilogy in a theater; an all day event with other fans?
*10 points* (for each time)

5. Have you ever dressed in an LOTR (or other Tolkien related) costume?
*10 points*
Ever dressed in a costume of any other fandom?
*5 points*

6. Did you see any movie of the LOTR trilogy more than once when they were first released in the theater?
*2 points* for any yes on any of the movies. *50 points* if you saw them more than 10 times each.

Bonus: Who did Viggo Mortensen replace?
*25 bonus points*

Okay fellow geeks, there are quite a few bonus questions (see above give-away question) this week that may contribute significantly to your geek-rating. The thing is, we think it is okay if you cheat a little. We believe geekiness is a journey, a goal, a state of being, a tendency to like group hugs. And besides, these are more like geeky guidelines

Last question!
Hurray? Did I hear someone say hurray?

For **50 bonus points** What is NARF?

Ratings code for Geekiness: (ratings established by a learned panel of one)

*POINTS*
0-25 points = Notta geek.
Are you sure you weren't looking for Ashton Kutcher's website?

26-50 points = A bit geeky.
You know there were some movies made with a blond elf and big battles and some professor or something wrote a book about the movies.

51-75 points = Kind of geeky.
You are thinking about reading the Silmarillion and are begun wondering if maybe the folks who wear costumes to premieres and cons aren't all totally crazy.

76-100 points = Geeky!
Your family and friends avoid your "favorite subject" because they don't want to "get you started" and no one will play LOTR trivia with you anymore.

101-150 points = Really geeky.
Your family and friends were planning an 'intervention' for your obsession, but you think they're calming down since you've stopped reciting dialogue from the movies in answer to simple questions at the supper table. Just to be sure, you rave about Brad Pitt movies, pretend to read Rosamunde Pilcher novels, and if they mention "The Hobbit" movies, you say, "Guillermo, who?"

> 150 points = UBER geek.
Real geeks come to you to answer their questions rather than Wikipedia, you express deep feelings with Elvish phrases, and you know all the actors' full names and birthdays. The cast and crew could come to you for all the details if they decided to write a book about their experiences making the trilogy.

GEEKS FOREVER!

{{hugs}} to all geeks,

Hobbitlove and OrdinaryHobbit

SOME ANSWERS:

Pic 1: Our mystery man: The Mouth of Sauron, Bruce Spence, aka Tion Medon, aka Chum

Pic 2: WETA employee picnic group picture with their dead mumik prop, which was the largest single prop on a movie; or something like that.

Pic 3: EJW is appearing at ORC 2006 with dear Sean Astin, and if I remember correctly, grammaboodawg and Ainu Laire were front and center during their appearance.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2017, 6:26pm

Post #2 of 11 (561 views)
Shortcut
I was six rows back at that EW picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not totaling them all as it would be sort of frightening...

Yes I know that's the Mouth of Sauron...

Principal photography began -- though at that time I wasn't ON line... it was LOTR that finally pulled me into the internet abyss

Well it's a mumakil... are they having a bbq?

Went to all the ORCs and Fantasy Con in Salt Lake where EW was DJ one evening attended by multiply dwarves.... went to all the Parties but ROTK (because you people crashed Paypal before I got lunch and could get to a computer to try to buy a ticket) Went to two or three Baggins birthday parties but have given it up as every time something happens on Interstate 5 over the mountains and it takes me 6 hours to get home -- fire, accident, landslide...

I have done the LOTR triology three times and the Hobbit once....

Well yeah... elf ears.... another time for another fandom.... my 8 yr old grandson has gone down the Dr Who rabbit hole and wants the entire family to dress up for Halloween as characters he assigns.... I think I'll pretend I don't know him...

While there is no way I come close to your total for showings in theater I could possibly claim the highest mileage... the summer of 2002.. I drove from CA to Nevada (to meet an online friend from Netscape -- that alone makes me a geek) then on to Colorado to meet another friend then on to Albuquerque to meet another friend... Each time seeing the FOTR again in a second run theater. By the time ROTK rolled around we were a group of 20 to 25 having moots in Colorado, Albuquerque, Asheville -- and traveling from the UK, Canada and all across the US to meet up. (go read burpingtroll.com we are ubergeeks)

Stuart Townsend and thank god.... plus Viggo is simply a nice person. Went to an art gallery showing somewhere in LA and he drives up with cookies/sodas and water for the hundreds waiting in line for him.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 10:56pm

Post #3 of 11 (552 views)
Shortcut
*bows profusely amid massive smile* Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a nuts weekend, wasn't it? ;) omg... The best of times :D
WOW on the travelling! Pretty Geeky! :D

my 8 yr old grandson has gone down the Dr Who rabbit hole and wants the entire family to dress up for Halloween as characters he assigns.... I think I'll pretend I don't know him...

Ya got me with the g'son stuff. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
I've heard that Viggo is a very quality guy :D And that there were no shoes whenever he could get away with it ;)
I'll DEFINITELY go visit your Burping Troll linkl.. *hugs* Thank you so much!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

sador
Half-elven

Sep 17 2017, 4:31am

Post #4 of 11 (542 views)
Shortcut
Zero on the actual questions, full score on the bonus ones. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which makes me not a geek, but at least a sub (as hobbitlove used to call us).

Thank you for the reminder!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 17 2017, 11:21am

Post #5 of 11 (515 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I have news for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're DEFINITELY a geek just for being here and taking the test ;) *high five* :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 18 2017, 2:50pm

Post #6 of 11 (478 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe I played this the first time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Who is this? Bruce Spence a/k/a Mouth of Sauron

that aviator guy in the Mad Max movies

um . . . some casting decision for LOTR?

Looks like a shot of the LOTR crew around the "fallen Oliphaunt" from the Battle of the Pelennor scene of ROTK. Possibly a wrap picture?

Where was this (one of my favorite) photo taken?
Comic-con?

Who was sitting down front watching our dear EJW at this event? Tehanu?

4. Have you ever 'done' the entire trilogy in a theater; an all day event with other fans?
Does a home theater count? If so, then yes.

yes

Yes, Firefly and PotC

6. Did you see any movie of the LOTR trilogy more than once when they were first released in the theater?
yes - 9 times for FOTR, 2 for TTT, 3 for ROTK

Stuart Townsend

What is NARF?
Not a Real Fan - coined by several of us after an influx of people on the boards who informed us that if we did not share THEIR opinion on the movies, we were obviously not real fans (or true fans) of Tolkien. I still have it in my footer that I have been "not a real fan" of Tolkien since 1967 (oddly, most of the "real fans" were newcomers to the fandom . . . ).

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 18 2017, 6:05pm

Post #7 of 11 (477 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Who is this?

Mrs. Spense’s little baby boy.

The tall guy in Mad Max 2 (1981), the tall guy in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), the tall guy in Dark City (1998), the tall guy in Matrix: Revolutions (2003), the tall shark in Finding Nemo (2003), the tall guy in Revenge of the Sith (2005), the tall guy in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010), and the tall guy in Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017).

The Galileo spacecraft’s first flyby of Jupiter’s moon Io and the resultant high-resolution imaging of the Pillan, Zamama, and Prometheus volcanoes! Whoo-hoo!!

Ball State University’s Squamish Team (the varsity), plus cheerleaders.

4. Where was this (one of my favorite) photo taken?

The Hobo Shoes and Torn Jeans Competition of the 273rd Mister Hot Hobbit Beauty Pageant Scholarship Program held annually at Michel Delving.

Who was sitting down front watching our dear EJW at this event? Hint: It is someone well known around The One Ring.net. ( Actually, there are at least 2 sibbies)

The Took sisters, the Brandybuck sisters, the Proudfoot (Proudfeet?) sisters, the Andrews sisters, the Lennon sisters, the Pointer sisters, the Sisters of Perpetual Sorrow (aka the Sackville-Baggins sisters), the Gilmore Girls, and Sam.

With other fans? Nope.

Does an Oxford shirt with Oxford shoes count?

If *undressed* counts, then The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

NARF!!

David Trueba, and Ariadna Gil seems all the happier for it.

Queen Beruthiel, Queen Beruthiel, there's no one like Queen Beruthiel,
She's broken every Gondor law, she breaks the law of Earendil.
Her powers of feline-ation would make Aiwendil stare,
And when you reach the scene of crime - Queen Beruthiel's not there!
You may seek her in the Hallows, you may search throughout the square –
But I tell you once and once again, Queen Beruthiel's not there!

- Old Tollers' Book of Fat Cats on the Mat

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 19 2017, 4:07pm

Post #8 of 11 (436 views)
Shortcut
*snert* [In reply to] Can't Post

Does an Oxford shirt with Oxford shoes count?

only if you carry the OED as well.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 20 2017, 8:09pm

Post #9 of 11 (415 views)
Shortcut
Well Done! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

All of this was so long ago now... I had trouble remembering some of these answers!

Do you have a place in your closet with all of those AWESOME costumes!? They're really fun to do :D

*bows to NARFdom!* Wasn't that a hoot! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 20 2017, 8:11pm

Post #10 of 11 (416 views)
Shortcut
*holds up lit bic* [In reply to] Can't Post

You ALWAYS ROCK these things!!! *wild applause... still sniggering*

THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 20 2017, 8:25pm

Post #11 of 11 (418 views)
Shortcut
**PARTY TIME** ANSWERS [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Pic 1: Our mystery man: The Mouth of Sauron, Bruce Spence, aka Tion Medon, aka Chum

2. First day of principal photography for The Lord of the Rings.

3. Pic 2: WETA employee picnic group picture with their dead mumik prop, which was the largest single prop on a movie; or something like that.

[unnumbered] Pic 3: EJW is appearing at ORC 2006 with dear Sean Astin, and if I remember correctly, grammaboodawg and Ainu Laire were front and center during their appearance.

4. Number of times you did a marathon at the theatre.

5. Do tell about the costumes you have!

6. Stuart Townsend

BONUS QUESTION

A NARF is Not A Real Fan – Proudly donned by members who were accused of not being real fans because they didn't share other members' views of geekdom.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.