Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What do you watch to make you happy? Otherwise known as the What are you Watching thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2017, 8:30pm

Post #26 of 35 (491 views)
Shortcut
It's a gem! [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes me smile whenever I think of it. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2017, 6:36pm

Post #27 of 35 (471 views)
Shortcut
We still have a way to go before it disappears so leaving it here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Project Runway..... I say twins are insane --- where does it become crossing the line to ask for advice and assistance... anyway.... I like Brandon but I don't really like his clothes. Samantha should have kept to her own path and while Michaels was a bit costumey it should have won... though I can see the people who say Kenya's look was sort of a Capn Hook update.

The Last Ship - hmmm ... is a ship with two captains like a kitchen with two chefs....

The Strain.... for pity's sake if you aren't willing to actually shoot traitors by this time why are you still thinking you're going to win the war??? Is there a Kill Zach club I can join?

Fear the Walking Dead --- see above.... sheesh.... are they just plaigarizing each other's scripts, sharing writers are is it time for me to admit the genre of apocalyptic wars is no longer worth viewing.

not sure if I watched anything else this week as I've been swamped with meetings (that should be a four letter word as far as I'm concerned) and regular work ...

So what are you watching......

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 16 2017, 9:34pm

Post #28 of 35 (466 views)
Shortcut
The Strain is still running? [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the mild excitement to the build-up of the first episode and the disappointment about the early episodes, then nothing. I'd assumed the show had died after the first season.

Where is it up to, season-wise?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2017, 1:14pm

Post #29 of 35 (458 views)
Shortcut
Finale is supposed to air tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

Total of 4 seasons -- with one constantly wondering how some of these people managed to survive the first few attacks....anyway the lingering questions tonight will be are they nuking New York --- hey wasn't that an Aveners' plot?

Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 17 2017, 7:23pm

Post #30 of 35 (430 views)
Shortcut
Did the plotline of *book three spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

the origin of the vampires, from angels, make it into the TV series?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2017, 9:52pm

Post #31 of 35 (416 views)
Shortcut
sort of [In reply to] Can't Post

Quinlan -- said something of the sort but it gets really confused. I didn't read the books so not sure how far off the tv version is

Annael
Immortal

Sep 18 2017, 2:59pm

Post #32 of 35 (402 views)
Shortcut
we shall have to agree to disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE Brandon's clothes. I would wear everything he's put out there. Michael and Kenya made gorgeous clothes but to me just a bit costume-y, and I also think Liris sold Michael's dress because she felt so beautiful in it. And he IS the first designer to do her justice - she really did look like a queen, Cleopatra came to mind. Kenya's look was a bit dated for me (peplums, really? Perfect for her tall skinny model but . . .)

I think the twins are cheating too. Each week it seems like one of them has no clear idea what to do until told by her sister. But they switch off.

Tried the second episode of "The Orville." We were trying to describe it - it has a 70s-sitcom level of characterization and writing, very simple and silly - superimposed on about 10 minutes of what COULD have been a good plot in the hands of Gene Roddenberry. But not Braga, obviously (and I mostly hated what he did to Star Trek after he got control - "Voyager" and "Enterprise" had so much potential but got mired in his obsession with women in catsuits on a spaceship and other silliness . . . . okay, I'll get off my soapbox now . . .

Second episode of "Outlander": loving it . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2017, 3:35pm

Post #33 of 35 (398 views)
Shortcut
The pilot for "The Durrells" [In reply to] Can't Post

This is based on the book 'My Family and Other Animals' by Gerald Durrell. I read this to my son when he was about 8. I (and he) remember this fondly because we laughed most of the way through it. It's off to a good start and I'm looking forward to more.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Sep 19 2017, 6:47pm

Post #34 of 35 (374 views)
Shortcut
Ken Burns' The Vietnam War [In reply to] Can't Post

Two episodes in, this looks to be another Burns masterpiece. Well balanced, it strikes a fair chord between the Vietnamese population (including those who felt betrayed by the US's prioritization of defeating Communism over espousing freedom, self-government and liberty for all people and would become the members of the Viet Cong) and the young American soldiers who, as one vet poignantly puts it, would be the last generation of Americans who would unconditionally trust their government. Burns presents each interviewee with sometimes chilling unvarnished truth and no demonization on any side.
Some of the imagery and discussion matter is haunting and disturbing and not suitable for family viewing, but if you're an adult it's riveting viewing. Burns' sountracks have always been memorable, and of course this time (The British Invasion acts, Motown and the greatest folk artists were all in play) he draws from a time period which produced some of the English speaking world's greatest popular music.
Highly recommended.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 20 2017, 1:12pm

Post #35 of 35 (372 views)
Shortcut
A Very Dark Mary Poppins [In reply to] Can't Post

(Yeah I know the book Mary Poppins is dark, too.)

I am Mita, Your Housekeeper (2011) 11 episode Japanese melodrama. It was a big hit and won several awards. Basically a very dark Mary Poppins. A family begins to tear itself apart after the death of the mother. The father is ineffectual and distracted, the eldest daughter has given up trying to maintain the household, the eldest brother is full of unfocused anger, the younger brother is apathetic, and the five-year old daughter can’t understand why the mother is gone. Into this household steps Mita, the super-duper housekeeper. In one day she cleans the house top to bottom, revives all the dying plants, launders everything to exquisite softness, disinfects the filthy bathrooms, efficiently shops for groceries, and cooks a hot dinner which satisfies each family member’s tastes. She has many hidden talents and can produce seemingly anything needed from her mysterious bag. Also she's extremely stoic, speaks as little as possible, and *never* smiles. And finally, she’ll obey any “work order” she’s capable of including assault, arson, and murder. (Told you it was dark.)

Over the course of the series the family breaks apart as dark secrets are revealed. Can the father find forgiveness and redemption? (Does he even want to?) Can the children come to terms with the circumstances of their mother’s death? Can they forgive and reconcile with their father? (Do they even want to?) Will the family come together or be destroyed? And finally, will Miss Mita ever smile?

Acclaimed beauty Nanako Matsushima (Miss Mita) was so determined and lively as the heroine of The Ring (1998)), so her success in her heartbreaking portrayal of a woman who has suffered so much as to renounce all sense of emotion and self-will is especially remarkable. Similarly Hiroki Hasegawa (the father) was extremely sympathetic as the heroic self-sacrificing warrior of Attack on Titan, Part 1 (2015) and the lovable loser of Love and Peace (2015), so his ability to make Asuda Keiichi so thoroughly despicable, yet later slowly transform him into a character whose forgiveness and redemption we come to actually root for is absolutely amazing! And all the child actors are very effective in portraying the various ways they respond to appalling betrayal, first by their mother’s death, then by their father’s secrets. (Really, their constant acting out will make you want to kill them. And Miss Mita almost does…) BTW, the actress portraying the eldest sister, Shiori Kutsuna, will be appearing in Deadpool 2 (2018). Looking forward to it! Also watch out for veteran actress Yumi Shirakawa (Ronan, The Mysterians, The H-Man, and many others) in her last role as the owner of the Harumi Housekeeping Agency. She’s delightful!

A big warning. If you thought Sam cried too much in LOTR, that’s nothing compared to the amount of crying that characters do in the series. Plus they tend to yell dialogue when crying. So it can get really tiresome if you’re binge-watching the series. And it’s probably more a reflection of my own ignorance and insensitivity, but the amount of dogeza (prostration) by characters begging forgiveness seemed a bit over the top, but I’m an old 'Murican country boy who’s doubtless too provincial to understand.

BTW, the ending theme song (Yasashiku Naritai) by Kazuyoshi Saito absolutely ROCKS!!

-Very highly recommended it you can take subtitles, melodrama, and people making stupid choices.

Queen Beruthiel, Queen Beruthiel, there's no one like Queen Beruthiel,
She's broken every Gondor law, she breaks the law of Earendil.
Her powers of feline-ation would make Aiwendil stare,
And when you reach the scene of crime - Queen Beruthiel's not there!
You may seek her in the Hallows, you may search throughout the square –
But I tell you once and once again, Queen Beruthiel's not there!

- Old Tollers' Book of Fat Cats on the Mat

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.