Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to a Fiesta to Celebrate the Silmarillion!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 15 2017, 4:13pm

Post #1 of 23 (838 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to a Fiesta to Celebrate the Silmarillion! Can't Post

Greeting, everyone!

According to our illustrious gramma's posts here and here, today, September 15, is the 40th anniversary of the publishing of the Silmarillion! Thanks to gramma, we have a week of festivities planned starting today. I see there are games already posted on Main, so check out the boards throughout the week for lots of interesting, perhaps challenging, but always fun things to do.

For today's Fiesta, let us know what's up with you and yours, but also let us know what your favorite Sil story happens to be (okay, you don't have to choose just one). My personal fav is the story of Beren and Luthien. It's one of the longer stories in the book which makes it all the better to savor it. The love story between two of Tolkien's strongest characters is just too awesome for words, and oh my gosh! Huan! Laugh How about you?

In real life, B.G. and I are going to have lunch tomorrow at a favorite pub that has awesome food, then we're going to check out the local-ish Trader Joe's. I've been before, years ago, but they're relatively new to this area and now there's finally one within reasonable driving distance. So, if you have a favorite Trader Joe's buy, let me know that too!

*puts quarters on the juke box* play us one of your favorite love songs!

Have a great weekend, everyone

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 15 2017, 4:18pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2017, 4:24pm

Post #2 of 23 (785 views)
Shortcut
I want a Trader Joe's! [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't have one in this area - unthinkable! Frown

Might I have an iced coffee, please? I remember when the Sil first came out (yes, I have a first edition Heart). It was - different, not at all what I think many of us were expecting! I've always liked the Ainulindale, probably because it has the "feel" of an ancient told-around-the-fire-at-night story.

I need to find a "party game"! What do you think, Altaira - are you able to access your old Bilbo's Brainteasers? I'm sure there's something amongst those that would be appropriate to the occasion! Smile

As for this weekend: more cleaning out of boxes in storage, it's amazing (or horrifying?) how much hubby collected from 30 years of teaching! Crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2017, 5:02pm

Post #3 of 23 (777 views)
Shortcut
*screeeech* I amost made it on time! [In reply to] Can't Post

WHAT A DAY! My favourite story from the Sil is (of course) Beren and Luthien... although the text on stories related to The Lord of the Rings are definitely a great read, too!

I think I'll have a Chocolate Milk Shake to celebrate this fantastic day! 40 years! Go Figure!

Thanks for always taking such great care of us Altaira :D Have a great weekend everyone!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2017, 5:06pm

Post #4 of 23 (777 views)
Shortcut
Hey! I have an idea... *looks around* [In reply to] Can't Post

You should make the game with Harry Potter stuff and see who is really paying attention ;)

SURPRISE!

Going through boxes from 30 years! I'm so relieved I'm not the only one ;) I hope you have a wonderful weekend, m'dear!

EXPELLIARMUS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 15 2017, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 23 (776 views)
Shortcut
Iced coffee, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ainulindale is a good choice too! It's just so difficult to chose one.

I'm sure I have Bilbo's Brainteaser's in a folder somewhere, but if you have them too, please feel free to re-post one. Smile

Yes, there's now a Trader Joe's in Boulder which just happens to have bunches of our favorite restaurants too. So it was a no-brainer to head that way once we both had a weekend-day free.

Don't get too congested from floating dust from the boxes! Sly

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 15 2017, 5:17pm

Post #6 of 23 (775 views)
Shortcut
A gramma is never late [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you can finish that quote without my help. Wink

I didn't know the Sil had been published until a few years after it came out. You know, it was the stone-age before we had internet. I was overjoyed when I discovered it! Once I got over how different it was from LOTR, I fell in love.

Have a wonderful weekend, gramma, and thanks again for discovering the great anniversaries that are upon us, and getting the parties going! Heart

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 15 2017, 10:11pm

Post #7 of 23 (751 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised that the company reached our area long before yours. Our actors from New York are always thrilled that there's a "TJ's" here.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2017, 1:07am

Post #8 of 23 (728 views)
Shortcut
Saying hello this Friday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like one of those sweet rummy drinks with a parasol, please, barkeep. Will need the parasol here as it just keeps Spring drizzling in Wellington. It's ok because it makes the flowers grow, and flowering trees and bushes are blooming like crazy (I saw a flock of 30 - 30! - tui in a kowai tree yesterday http://www.thegoodearth.co.nz/blog/tui-on-kowhai.html). The daffodils are up, and I was in a huge field of them last weekend for the yearly Carterton Daffodil Festival. http://cdc.govt.nz/daffodil-festival/.

It's also been very good to hear from our Texas Tornfolk that things are (relatively) well with them all. Evil

Re Trader Joe's: two things I've enjoyed from the Southern CA ones near my family there are 1) frozen pot-stickers, which are great quick and easy party food, and 2) they used to have the best freshly baked molasses cookies ever (not seen recently), which were almost exactly like the excellent ones sold at Shelburne Farms in Shelburne, VT on the shore of Lake Champlain. We didn't stay there but it's a beautiful spot to visit, and the thing my niece and I most remember are the cookies, soft and chewy and molassesy. Maybe a cup of tea too, if you please!

Lúthien and Beren Forever.Heart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 4:03am

Post #9 of 23 (710 views)
Shortcut
*ears prick up... twice* [In reply to] Can't Post

Those pics of that glorious bird are incredible! I could watch them all day!

Molasses, you say? I used to bake them all the time as a youngster. Mom's were the best, and she taught me :) Almost wasted on me, though, as I'm known for burning water! Oatmeal cookies are also a fav!!

Spring in Wellington is the place to be, Lissuin :D My eyes are green with envy! I hope you have a wonderful weekend and many more lovely Spring days :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2017, 5:42pm

Post #10 of 23 (668 views)
Shortcut
A day late, but wanted to check in with my sibs for the first time in, like, a year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, all. I can't believe it's truly been almost a year since I last posted! Could have sworn I was on sometime in the spring, but I must have just logged in and not posted.

Since Altaira asked about fave Sil stories, Beren and Luthien is definitely at the top of the list for me, but I also quite like the story of Elwing and Earendil. Along with being one of the few Sil characters to never have actually died, I like the drama of their story with Elwing saving the silmaril, turning into a bird, her and Earendil taking the silmaril to Valinor and getting the Valar to save Middle Earth, the epic battle, so on and so forth. I also think it's incredibly sweet that it said that once they were in Valinor, Elwing would always fly out to meet Earendil when he came back from sailing the skies. Makes me think they were a very loving couple.

In real life, I've been super focused on my writing. I doubt anyone remembers, but two years ago I had been wanting to enter a Sleeping Beauty fairytale retelling contest. Well, that fell through as I didn't know enough about retellings to write one. (I had barely even read one at that time and barely even got past the planning stage of my own retelling.) The next year the contest actually got canceled because the lady running it had a baby, but before canceling, they gave out enough hints about the subject of the contest that a lot of us hopefuls guessed it and therefore had more time to plan for when the contest came back. It did indeed come back this year, and they kept it on the same subject: Snow White. I now know enough about retellings that I have not only gotten past the planning stage, but I'm 25k words into writing the story itself. The question now is not if I can finish it, but if I can edit it to be under the maximum word count allowed. Tongue Contest deadline is the last day of December. This is the last retelling contest they'll have due to the financial difficulties of being a small indie publisher and the fact that the lady running it now has a child to raise. The good news is, everyone who enters this final year gets feedback from the judges, so it'll be worth entering just for that, whether I get in the anthology or not.

I also worked my first paying job this summer: A once a week Wednesday night program the children's ministry at my church had for about 8 weeks. It was fun. :) I've also been working hard on expanding my Etsy shop and have made 7 sales since I opened it last year. Not bad since I sell a lot of one of a kind things.

My intense writing focus has resulted on me not allowing myself to be online quite so much as I once was, but when I saw gramma's post about this being a "Week of Special Magnificence, I missed y'all really bad and decided to give myself permission to check in at least once a day-ish this week, especially on Bilbo's birthday.Smile I'd also like to try to remember to at least check in here at Fiesta a little more often than once a year.Blush I'll definitely check in once I've submitted my story to the contest, and if by some miracle I win (winners announced in March next year as I recall, I'll be back again to hyperventilate. Laugh

I hope everyone is doing well. I've really missed you guys.Heart

I'm still here
Hope is rising, waking up my soul
I'm still here
All my broken, turning beautiful
'Cause I feel my heartbeat beating
And my lungs breathe breathing
Guess my God's not done with me yet
I'm still here
All my yesterdays are gone
And the best is yet to come.
~"I'm Still Here" Mandisa

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Sep 16 2017, 5:44pm)

cats16
Valinor

Sep 16 2017, 6:59pm

Post #11 of 23 (660 views)
Shortcut
Party time! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this time of the year. I'm getting the itch to start LotR again, just for the birthday preparations.

Hmm, Beren & Luthien is one of my favorites. And Turn's story as well--I love a good pick-me-up tale. Wink The early chapters in Valinor are also dear to me.

Re: Trader Joe's: they have some brownie crisps that are amazing. They happen to be gluten-free and vegan, but you wouldn't know it--they're delicious! They're in a blue resealable bag.

I saw the film mother! last night and was at a diner afterwards until 2am, so it's a lazy Saturday morning for me. It's been cooler here lately, so my mind keeps telling me we're entering Fall despite the fact I *know* we'll get another nasty heatwave before October's gone.

I may watch Paris, Texas to celebrate the departed Harry Dean Stanton. He was a cool dude...

Have a great weekend, all!

And P.S. in addition to lots of other tumultuous things going on in the world, there's a terrible crisis in Southeast Asia that's barely getting any international attention. Google "Rohingya Myanmar" and you'll get up to speed and can take action from there. /end rant Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 16 2017, 7:08pm

Post #12 of 23 (651 views)
Shortcut
Great to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dang, I could've sworn I saw you around in the spring too. Angelic Time flies indeed.

Welcome back, regardless. And good luck with the contest!
Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2017, 7:25pm

Post #13 of 23 (646 views)
Shortcut
Hi Cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see you, too! Sounds like you've been having a good weekend. I'll play devil's advocate and say, yes, you should totally start LOTR again! You know you want to. ;) I've timed my personal Hobbit/LOTR marathon so I'm watching one movie every Friday this month. Just finished The Hobbit trilogy last night, so I get to watch FOTR, which features Bilbo's birthday, on Bilbo's birthday. :D

Thanks!Smile

I'm still here
I'm still here
I'm still here

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 16 2017, 9:40pm

Post #14 of 23 (634 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with your writing. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And definitely let us know how it goes. Do you have plans for other stories after this one?

And a TORNsib is never late - she just arrives with lots of tales to tell when the Fiesta bar opens. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2017, 10:27pm

Post #15 of 23 (623 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ataahua :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes, definitely. When I get the chance, I intend to finishing that Sleeping Beauty retelling I started for the previous contest. There's also an original fantasy story (which recently decided it wants to be an original trilogy, oh joy :p) I'm 75k words into, which I took a break from to write the Snow White retelling, but it'll be back in progress one that's done and I'm waiting for the contest results. Then there's my multi-page document stuffed full with original story and retelling ideas, the one most likely to happen after Snow White and Sleeping Beauty being a Cinderella retelling (with the original trilogy progressing in the background until it gets done. Someday...). I have every hope of making a career of this writing thing. :)

I'm still here
I'm still here
I'm still here

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 11:12pm

Post #16 of 23 (627 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* HEY THERE!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so great to see you! Don't ever worry about how long it is between posts... we're always here and we all have times when RL is hard to avoid ;)

That's so exciting about your re-telling/writing! Things happen for a reason, so it sounds like the situation around this last contest is just what you need! Here's wishing you all sorts of luck... but I get the feeling you're going to come away from this well armed and full of inspiration no matter how it turns out :D

You really got me with the Elwing and Earendil thoughts. I'm going to have to go read them again... like tonight!

*hugs* You hang in there and stop by when you can. No one keeps score around here ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 11:23pm

Post #17 of 23 (624 views)
Shortcut
*raises mug* Here's to Harry Dean Stanton [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done, cats :) He was one of those character actors who showed up everywhere and was always wonderful. He was so sweet in Pretty in Pink and even gave his very short piece in The Avengers as he helped Banner.
I'm so glad you had a great night out :D We all need one of those now and again! Have a GREAT weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2017, 12:28am

Post #18 of 23 (617 views)
Shortcut
*Oof!* Hi gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aw, thanks! Every bit of luck is appreciated.Heart

Yay! Enjoy the re-read!

*hugs back* I most certainly will!

I'm still here
I'm still here
I'm still here

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2017, 12:33am

Post #19 of 23 (617 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's awesome that things are going well for you! We are always happy to see you here when you have time to drop in. Don't be a stranger!

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2017, 12:56am

Post #20 of 23 (614 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Silverload!// [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still here
I'm still here
I'm still here

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2017, 2:38am

Post #21 of 23 (608 views)
Shortcut
TCM just showed Cool Hand Luke [In reply to] Can't Post

with Harry Dean Stanton as Tramp.... heck that movie is filled with people who went on to great fame -- Wayne Rogers, JD Cannon, Ralph Waite, Dennis Hopper... but Harry gets to sing.

One Magic Christmas... alternative version of It's a Wonderful Life...is a favorite of mine.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 19 2017, 5:54pm

Post #22 of 23 (567 views)
Shortcut
This calls for a drink! [In reply to] Can't Post

A tumbler of unsweetened apple juice or cider mixed with a finger or two of Hellboy Hell Water Cinnamon Whiskey.
It's hellishly delicious!

My wife discovered this about a week or two ago on a local shopping trip. So glad she picked up a bottle in plenty of time for Halloween!

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 19 2017, 5:57pm)

CaptainMorgan
Bree

Sep 20 2017, 3:37am

Post #23 of 23 (546 views)
Shortcut
Arrrr! [In reply to] Can't Post

A rum afore I depart for another year long sea voyage!!

YO HO HO, A LIPEY LIBER FWEE
-Captain Edward Dregg

A pirate always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.
-Captain JP Morgan

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.