The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
new book: "Middle-earth from Script to Screen" from Weta Workshop

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 15 2017, 5:14am

Post #1 of 4 (2227 views)
Shortcut
new book: "Middle-earth from Script to Screen" from Weta Workshop Can't Post

In time for our TORN Week of Special Magnificence http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=933405#933405, my copy arrived by post in Wellington yesterday, well ahead of the announced October shipping date, and reading it landed me squarely in Middle-earth. It is beautiful and absolutely enormous at 512 pages, as befits a book covering six films and twenty years of work. It measures 12.2" x 10.23" x 1.96" (W x H x D) 31 cm x 26 cm x 5 cm and weighs 7.53 lbs (3.42 kg), not something to carry around in one's backpack. No, sitting comfortably in an arm chair or sofa or at a sturdy table is the proper place, with a pot of tea or glass of something stronger, as you will be there for some time. Wink

It was written by Daniel Falconer, but he gives credit to the many people who contributed new photos and text to the final product. There are hundreds of photos of sets and locations and art work, many seen before but so very many for the first time, with lots of text about them with quotes and anecdotes from the crew and cast. There are some lovely photos of the oak tree above Bag End I hadn't seen before and thirty front doors and façades of Hobbit holes now at Hobbiton in Matamata. There are several paragraphs about all the important characters and most of the featured minor ones scattered throughout and placed in the locations where we first meet them in the films.

The organization in time and space was confusing at first - when I opened the book in the middle and just dove in - but the table of contents is a good map, literally. Start there (duh!). It begins in the Shire, moves roughly to the East (with detours), finally coming to Mordor and then ending at last in the Grey Havens. The final photo in the book is a double-page spread of the photo of the entire crew taken on the last day of filming of The Hobbit. Because I pre-ordered, there was also an extra packet of lovely calligraphic set dressing replicas of handbills and notices that were used in the Shire, done by Daniel Reeve.

For me this has been completely worth the US$75 price of admission. To have all of these wonderful photographs and anecdotes in one big book leading me through the six films of Middle-earth feels like a completed journey back to my first viewing of Fellowship, when I was so sceptical of anyone being able to pull it off I waited weeks to see it but then was transfixed and transported from Galadriel's opening words. So even though I have all the other Daniel Falconer making-of books on The Hobbit and many from LOTR, this puts them all together in their unique places in the two trilogies, and this will probably be my favorite book on the films. I still have hours ahead of me on the sofa with several pots of tea. Smile Cheers!

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Sep 15 2017, 5:20am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 21 2017, 3:29am

Post #2 of 4 (2123 views)
Shortcut
IT"S AVAILABLE??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon.com (USA) is still not listing it! Did you buy it through Weta?

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 21 2017, 4:28am

Post #3 of 4 (2114 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, pre-ordered on the Weta website a couple months ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I got the delivery notice, I couldn't remember if I'd weakened and ordered the Frodo in the tree sculpture or the book. Crazy Too much good stuff over there!
It'll be worth the wait.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 28 2017, 6:07pm

Post #4 of 4 (1893 views)
Shortcut
I'm so excited for this book!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This book is one of the things I have been excited since the talk of its release!

I'd love to get my own copy sometime after its release, (along with the Beren and Luthien book, which I have checked via library.)

Its looks like a beautiful book!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.