The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 14

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 14 2017, 10:14pm

Post #1 of 18 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 14 Can't Post

Hello Fellow Walkers! How has your week been?

We're getting into fall in my neck of the woods here in mid-Michigan. The Canadian Geese have been flying south overhead since the first of September! Already!? The trees are turning colour and the temps are in the 60s and 70s. In other words... IT'S PERFECT HERE! The best walking weather I've had in months!

Plus, I've been getting the garage cleaned out. I've already taken 7 hobbity-full (my SUV) of "stuff" to Goodwill and Salvation Army. They love seeing me pull up with "stuff" tied to the top! BOY it feels good. It's "stuff" from my Mom's house, my daughter's, her ex...when he let the house foreclose :( and then there's MY "stuf..." "JUNK!"

hobbity is very happy that she'll be able to sit in the garage during winter ;) It was a close call... fersher!

So how have all of you been doing? Remember, there's no race going on here. You accumulate your own mileage your own way and following the Middle-earth chart of your choice. How much more fun could you possibly have!? ;) So check out the charts in the links below and mix n match your activity. If you'd like some help figuring out where you are on your Middle-earth walk or how to gather your mileage, please feel free to ask here or message me via the link at the top of this page.

My Progress: 30 miles
Cumulated 95 miles of the 578 miles into the Ride with Merry and the Rohirrim. We're continuing our long ride to Dunharrow. I love watching Merry and King Théoden occasionally riding together... sometimes quiet... sometimes talking... and often with laughter.

TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

FYI - How I track my mileage

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 14 2017, 10:18pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 15 2017, 4:53pm

Post #2 of 18 (1137 views)
Shortcut
I don't know where I'm going! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been 9 days since I completed the third part of Bilbo's return journey, the last of the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond challenges. I said I would continue walking and I've kept my promise. I've gathered 76,5 miles so far, only I *still* haven't got a clue where it is that I'm going! I'm starting to think it's not due to indecisiveness, but rather me being lazy -- hehehe! For now, let's just say I'm wandering around Middle-earth, enjoy the first days of autumn.

Happy walking, everyone!

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Sep 15 2017, 4:58pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 15 2017, 6:34pm

Post #3 of 18 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Gondor to Imladris? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's been 9 days since I completed the third part of Bilbo's return journey, the last of the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond challenges. I said I would continue walking and I've kept my promise. I've gathered 76,5 miles so far, only I *still* haven't got a clue where it is that I'm going! I'm starting to think it's not due to indecisiveness, but rather me being lazy -- hehehe! For now, let's just say I'm wandering around Middle-earth, enjoy the first days of autumn.

Happy walking, everyone!

Reproducing Boromir's journey from Minas Tirith to Rivendell might be a nice trip for the autumn.

Even shorter: the journey of Gandalf, Bilbo and Beorn from Erebor to Beorn's house, where the two travelers would spend the winter of TA 2941-42.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 15 2017, 7:26pm

Post #4 of 18 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd definitely be up for another trip to Rivendell. I don't suppose you or anyone else have a detailed description of Boromir's journey at hand?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 15 2017, 9:04pm

Post #5 of 18 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's Journey to Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have much detail, but Tolkien's "Tale of Years" gives us a bit to work with:

July 4, 3018: "Boromir sets out [alone on horseback] from Minas Tirith." He presumably took the West Road to the Gap of Rohan and continued on the Greenway to Tharbad. Boromir lost his mount crossing the Greyflood at Tharbad and continued the rest of the way to Rivendell on foot. The entire journey took him one hundred ten days and probably measured about one thousand miles or so.

October 25, 3018: Boromir arrives at Rivendell in the morning, in time for the Council of Elrond.

tinkermarm
Bree

Sep 15 2017, 9:13pm

Post #6 of 18 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, 75+ miles...definitely being lazy. xD [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't help but mention it, BlackFox. Nice work!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2017, 10:29pm

Post #7 of 18 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Keep on truckin'! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... I have an alternative.

The Hobbit charts stop when Bilbo gives the Arkenstone to Bard. I took the liberty of creating a few charts for myself of Bilbo and Gandalf's trip from the Lonely Mountain back to Bag End. I based it on the trip to the Mountain, then gleaned info from the books on the timeline and the maps for distance/path. For example, the journey back is about 9 miles less from Rivendell to Bag End because Bilbo wasn't dealing with being captured by Trolls.

486 miles.....The Hobbit with Bilbo & Gandalf - The Lonely Mountain north of Mirkwood to Beorn's home
224 miles.....The Hobbit with Bilbo & Gandalf - From Beorn's house thru the Misty Mountains to Rivendell
388 miles.....The Hobbit with Bilbo & Gandalf - The Road Home: Rivendell to Bag End

My Hobbit charts on TORN's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond page https://sites.google.com/...ornswalktorivendell/

I'm having trouble updating the charts because the site has been upgraded since I last worked in there. The first chart has a typo in the start date (1941 instead of 2941), and the 2nd chart (Lonely Mountain to Beorn's) has a MASSIVE problem with the table format, but you can still use it. The 3rd chart seems to be okay... but I really need to get in there and check it over. First, I have to figure out how to access and edit them ;)

I'll get there... and I'll add other LotR charts I've done with Sam, Merry & Pippin returning from the Grey Havens (467 miles), and the one I'm working on with Sam leaving the Shire and going back to the Grey Havens to join Frodo in Valinor.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2017, 10:34pm

Post #8 of 18 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I suddenly got the image of you as a Ranger or a Wizard travelling all over the place and showing up in the nick of time or in time for dinner!

I've been playing with some charts (see further down the thread) where Karen Wynn Fonstad left off. As usual... it's packed with creative figuring ;)

I'm so happy you're still on the Walk! *high five* :D Well Done!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2017, 10:35pm

Post #9 of 18 (1095 views)
Shortcut
zzzzzzzzz.... *mumble* [In reply to] Can't Post

I should be so lazy ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 12:16am

Post #10 of 18 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Oh, just a casual ramble for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I suddenly got the image of you as a Ranger or a Wizard travelling all over the place and showing up in the nick of time or in time for dinner!

I've been playing with some charts (see further down the thread) where Karen Wynn Fonstad left off. As usual... it's packed with creative figuring ;)

I'm so happy you're still on the Walk! *high five* :D Well Done!

I'm just dropping by to check up on everyone else's progress. Angelic

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 16 2017, 12:17am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 12:18am

Post #11 of 18 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Some more Hobbit charts... in progress [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I'd put this in a more accessible spot. BlackFox, Otaku-sempai and others have finished the charts from the Eowyn Challenge Charts.

Over the years, I've played with extending the charts where the site charts end... like The Hobbit chart stops when Bilbo gives the Arkenstone to Bard. So I made one for myself of Bilbo and Gandalf's trip from the Lonely Mountain back to Bag End (see below). I based it on the trip to the Mountain, then gleaned info from the books on the timeline and the maps for distance/path/events. For example, the journey back is about 9 miles less from Rivendell to Bag End because Bilbo wasn't dealing with being captured by Trolls.

They're in no way promised to be perfect or scholarly accurate! They were something for me to follow when I finished the walk charts.

I put my Hobbit charts in my TORN's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond page https://sites.google.com/...ornswalktorivendell/

486 miles.....The Hobbit with Bilbo & Gandalf - The Lonely Mountain north of Mirkwood to Beorn's home
224 miles.....The Hobbit with Bilbo & Gandalf - From Beorn's house thru the Misty Mountains to Rivendell
388 miles.....The Hobbit with Bilbo & Gandalf - The Road Home: Rivendell to Bag End

I'm having trouble updating the charts because the site has been upgraded since I last worked in there... which means nothing works they way it did before! *tsk* Plus, my brain isn't as resilient any more ;)

The first chart has a typo in the start date (1941 instead of 2941), and the 2nd chart (Lonely Mountain to Beorn's) has a MASSIVE problem with the table format, but you can still use it. The 3rd chart seems to be okay at a glance... but I really need to get in there and check it over... once I figure out how to access and edit them ;)

I'll get there... and I'll add another LotR chart I've done with Sam, Merry & Pippin returning from the Grey Havens (467 miles), and another one I'm working on with Sam leaving the Shire and going back to the Grey Havens to join Frodo in Valinor.

It's fun to think of other charts that can be made: Gandalf going to Isengard and meeting Radagast on the way; Saruman and Wormtongue leaving Isengard and heading for the Shire...

I'll keep you posted on my progress :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 16 2017, 12:20am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 12:46am

Post #12 of 18 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's return to Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I put my Hobbit charts in my TORN's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond page https://sites.google.com/...ornswalktorivendell/

Just for fun I ran those journeys through the maps for The One Ring Roleplaying Game and it's interesting how they vary (rounded to the nearest ten miles). The first two come out a little shorter:

~ Erebor to Beorn's house: 460 miles
~ Beorn's house to Rivendell: 190 miles--call it 200!

But I get a greater distance for the final leg:
~ Rivendell to Bag End: 490 miles.

Your mileage doesn't seem to take you much pass Bree. Maybe you hired Farmer Maggot's waggon to take you the rest of the way? Wink

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 16 2017, 12:54am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2017, 3:33am

Post #13 of 18 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Well... I remembered what Frodo said [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why didn't I drive?" ;)

Where was that game when I was building these in 2011? At least it stops where there's food and roof! ;) THANKS! I might just have to do something about this.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 16 2017, 3:45am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 16 2017, 9:04am

Post #14 of 18 (1061 views)
Shortcut
I meant in terms of decision-making [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks anyway! Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 16 2017, 9:07am

Post #15 of 18 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've already been through these -- I came across them ages ago in some old thread. But be sure to let me know when you get more done! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 21 2017, 10:01am

Post #16 of 18 (993 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope everyone is having a spendid week and are happy with your progress. I'm meeting myself coming and going this week, but have managed to gather a few miles ;)

Pray tell us of your progress and aspirations! I'll see you on the Road!

My Progress: 36 miles
Cumulated 131 miles of the 578 miles into the Ride with Merry and the Rohirrim still heading for Dunharrow.

TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

FYI - How I track my mileage

gramma's charts
This the the link to TORn's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond charts for Bilbo's return journey from the Lonely Mountain. Please let me know if there are any corrections or suggestions you have for them :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 22 2017, 12:49pm

Post #17 of 18 (970 views)
Shortcut
*whistles* [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much to report as I continue my aimless wandering. I've added another 66 miles to my tally in the past 6 days, which takes my total up to 142,5 miles. Not a bad start, to whatever may become of this.

Happy walking!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2017, 3:10am

Post #18 of 18 (955 views)
Shortcut
*cups hand to ear* HARK! Is that a whistle I hear? [In reply to] Can't Post

HEY BLACKFOX! I thought I saw you wandering by! You do aimless better than I've EVER seen before! *smiling madly* Carry on tarrying on! *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.