Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What do you watch to make you happy? Otherwise known as the What are you Watching thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 3 2017, 12:04am

Post #1 of 35 (2097 views)
Shortcut
What do you watch to make you happy? Otherwise known as the What are you Watching thread Can't Post

hmm... what would really make me happy to watch is a thermometer going down... really really tired of 100+ days....

Anyway... some bad news... SyFy cancelled Dark Matters -- left the series hanging.... but renewed Killjoys for two more seasons. Personally I'd have ended Killjoys last night with Dutch and her evil twin/mother taking each other out and leaving the universe a better place .... and renewed Dark Matters.

Sinner --- the whole I can't remember anything trope -- shrug... it was working at first but it seems to be trying too hard.

Master Chef -- getting down to the really capable cooks... sometimes you just have to gape in amazement at what they produce.

Project Runway -- not certain I agree with Brandon getting the win but I do admire the way he just retreats into his zone and ignores the kerfuffle all around him. The twins would drive me nuts. The bottom three were truly the bottom three and I do think the correct one went home... toooo much going on in a poorly constructed way though Deyonte's was horrible as well.

Going to see Leap tomorrow with granddaughter (the six year old -- she came out of Moana singing and talking to the pool water --let's hope she doesn't take to leaping off tall buildings tomorrow)

Triple feature Stephen King at the Aero on Sept 15 and 16 ... no way I can do both nights so having to think which lineup I want most.... Saturdays are the better movies but Friday has all the directors and some of the actors to give talks ....hmmm... horror movies are a happy place for me... well some of them... the gore fests are not top on the list...

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Sep 3 2017, 12:05am)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 3 2017, 1:24am

Post #2 of 35 (1951 views)
Shortcut
sad about Dark Matter [In reply to] Can't Post

I was enjoying that particular riff on the "misfit crew in a rogue ship" story.

Have to disagree on PR: we thought Brandon TOTALLY owned the runway last night! I would wear that outfit! Plus we are both (me & my young sassy gay friend who watches PR with me) enamored of Brandon. No ego, huge talent, and ZEN.

agree on the twins, however. Deyonte did so well earlier, don't know where that mess came from. But surely if people have learned anything from watching earlier series, it's this: THOU SHALT NOT MAKE A DRESS IN AN UGLY GREEN FABRIC.

I have come late to the hilarity that is "Modern Family" and am watching reruns all I can. I completely Heart Sophia Vergara, but also the rest of the cast.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 3 2017, 2:29am

Post #3 of 35 (1941 views)
Shortcut
I just finished season 2 of Dark Matter [In reply to] Can't Post

when I heard it was cancelled. We should have known it didn't stand a chance; it was too much like Firefly. I suppose the hardcore fans are going to start a petition for a movie to wrap up the loose ends, like Firefly and Farscape.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2017, 12:57pm

Post #4 of 35 (1910 views)
Shortcut
I've been watching a lot of Harvey news [In reply to] Can't Post

and other current news-disturbing stuff... so I ALWAYS find switching over to "Fixer Upper" cheers me right up! Gotta love Chip and Joanna.

I'll also watch Dr. Pol, but not while eating snacks :} He's my vet and such a great guy. Everyone is just as you see them. I got filmed once when I took Puddifoot (my dog) in for some dental work. You can always tell when Dr. Pol is at the grocery store cuz you can hear that laugh all through the place :D

I'll tell you what... one movie I turn to for a feel-good fix is "Mitty" with/directed by Ben Stiller. The story, cinematography, music, characters... all so great!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 3 2017, 1:04pm)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2017, 8:09pm

Post #5 of 35 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Lion [In reply to] Can't Post

We missed this in the cinema, but got it on DVD.

The real-life story of a young Indian boy who was separated from his family and adopted by an Aussie couple, then in his 20s determined to find his home again. An all-but-impossible task in that huge, sprawling country, when he didn't know his original surname or the real name of his village.

I won't spoil the ending, but I will say I really enjoyed this. There were many tears, but not all tears are an evil.

And David Wenham's in it. A definite bonus. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Sep 3 2017, 8:11pm)

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 3 2017, 8:49pm

Post #6 of 35 (1875 views)
Shortcut
Agree Lion is worth seeing [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole way children hear things versus the way they are.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

squire
Half-elven

Sep 3 2017, 9:15pm

Post #7 of 35 (1877 views)
Shortcut
I liked 'Lion' very much [In reply to] Can't Post

But on reflection I think it worked because it emphasized the 'whodunnit' nature of the man's quest for answers, and because it made sure to have a happy ending. And that's the nature of a popular film - to tell the stories that feel worth paying to hear and see.

If we think about it, the film makes clear that thousands of Indian boys and girls are orphaned, abused, and lost on a yearly basis for reasons just as random and fateful as the circumstances of this story. ('Slumdog Millionaire' had a similar storyline, thematically - the losers disappeared off camera.) Not that I would pay for a downer of a film either, but in the end we must remember that even a so-called documentary or 'based on fact' film is turned into fiction by the nature of the medium.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 4 2017, 2:59am

Post #8 of 35 (1857 views)
Shortcut
Moana [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally got around to watching it, and I'm glad I did. I found the songs forgettable, but everything else was top notch.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2017, 9:50pm

Post #9 of 35 (1782 views)
Shortcut
Love Dr. Pol [In reply to] Can't Post

and hope there will be another season soon, although he's getting up there.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2017, 9:55pm

Post #10 of 35 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Because I like a good action movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw two this past week. Managed to drag my husband to 'Logan Lucky' (not an easy task, but because it is set at the Charlottesville Speedway, he agreed). It was a bit slow to begin with but a very clever heist. Went to the see 'The Hitman's Bodyguard' with my daughter, and we had a great time. It's full of violence and profanity, but we also laughed a great deal. I'd like to see those two actors (Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds) pair up again.

Then spent 4 days at the lake with no phone, no wifi and no TV. Heaven!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 5 2017, 11:53pm

Post #11 of 35 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Elizabeth at 90 [In reply to] Can't Post

Home movies of QEII as a child, and her children and grandchildren as toddlers. It was charming and thought-provokiing to see generation after generation in the same park and not to be able to tell which was which. I fell in love with Lady Sarah. I saw it on PBS, and loved it so much bought a DVD.

Here's my favorite clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6p8I-_sYss

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Sep 6 2017, 6:10pm

Post #12 of 35 (1683 views)
Shortcut
The White Queen and Twin Peaks - The Return [In reply to] Can't Post

Mixed feelings on The White Queen. The history buff in me cringed that we have to accept the assumptions that 1) Richard of York survived the Tower 2) Elizabeth of York and Richard III were lovers immediately prior to Bosworth and 3) Margaret Beaufort ordered the murder of the Princes in the Tower. Of course, the clandestine nature of these subjects means that we'll never really know the truth, but these theories sort of stretch credibility for me. However, some of the acting was very good indeed, and the story does go into the interesting psychological question of how Henry and Elizabeth forged what was apparently a decent marriage when all of her immediate and close extended male relatives died to put and maintain him on the throne. Elizabeth herself is given a rather complex personality for a usually voiceless woman seemingly overshadowed by her formidable mother-in-law. In the end, did she really believe her sons in addition to Henry would have been doomed had her brother or cousin taken the throne? Did she enjoy her nuclear family's upgrade enough to manufacture or magnify threats to her children's lives, if only in her own mind? Or perhaps, a little of both?
Then Twin Peaks. The magic was still there - the warmth and decency, endearing eccentricity, scenic beauty of Washington State, and sense of existential dread and disturbing evil. Laura Palmer's ghost permeated the whole original story and movie with a sense of loss, and that's magnified this time around by the deaths since the original series (including David Bowie, who would have participated and reprised his movie role had he still been with us) and two terminal illnesses during production among the cast. David Lynch was clearly feeling the loss of his collaborators. Of course, we got answers to questions only for new ones to arise, so everyone expecting things to be wrapped up are going to be irked. This is David Lynch, though, and the ride has always been more important to him than the destination.

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2017, 7:37pm

Post #13 of 35 (1673 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit, of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well actually - my daughters and I were SUPPOSED to go to Galveston TX for Labor Day weekend - obviously didn't happen, but I'd taken the time off so I thought "oh well, maybe I'll get some stuff done around the house." Yeah, that was about as likely as driving to GalvestonBlush I'd finally started watching "Stranger Things," and watched the last 3 episodes on Labor Day. Looking forward to Season Two on Oct. 27th! And then yesterday I watched a Middle-earth mini-marathon: The Hobbit DoS and Battle of 5 Armies, and FoTR, whew! Took most of the day! I did work on a writing project while this was going on - sort of.
Best news is, Droughtlander finally ends this Sunday, woo hoo!!! And "Poldark" will start on Oct. 1st in the USA!HeartEvil Stuff to look forward to.

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 6 2017, 8:09pm

Post #14 of 35 (1661 views)
Shortcut
Much sadness over Dark Matter cancellation [In reply to] Can't Post

I was getting attached to the characters and wanted to see their arcs continue to develop. Oh well.

I tried "Defenders" on Netflix, but Jessica Jones gets under my skin, and the others don't make up for her much.

As a Laura Linney fan, I enjoyed "Ozark."

I liked "Guardians of the Galaxy 2." Not enough to see it again, but once was good.

For some nostalgia, I re-watched some "Downton Abbey" episodes.

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 6 2017, 11:59pm

Post #15 of 35 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Outlander [In reply to] Can't Post

just watched the last episodes of Season 2, getting ready for Season 3 and the big reunion!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2017, 4:53pm

Post #16 of 35 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Droughtlander is almost over! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said. Still trying to figure out if I'm re-subscribing to Starz on Amazon Prime, or if I can buy the season pass from Amazon or iTunes. What's interesting is "Preacher" is about to finish up, last episode is next Monday right after the premier of Outlander S3. I've read that Graham is going to be in Season 3, not sure how though - flashback??? Graham is supposed to do the voice of Fergus McDuck in the new "Ducktales" cartoon this fall; I guess he wanted to do something his kids could actually watch!Wink

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 10 2017, 4:57pm

Post #17 of 35 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Dilemma: "Outlander" and "The Orville" are on at the same time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a real problem as Xfinity will let me watch either whenever I want, but still.

-- Gaston Bachelard

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Sep 11 2017, 12:23am

Post #18 of 35 (1536 views)
Shortcut
Watched Game of Thrones Season 7, [In reply to] Can't Post

And Excalibur.

I always follow my job through.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 11 2017, 1:15am

Post #19 of 35 (1532 views)
Shortcut
The Dish [In reply to] Can't Post

A gem of an Australian film that was released in 2000, about the role that a satellite dish in Parkes played in relaying the TV signal of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon - which is in serious doubt when Things Go Wrong.

It's a great (and gentle) example of the oddball comedy genre that Aussie writers and directors do so well.

Mayor: "You've just got to tell Nasa."
Station head: "That we lost Apollo 11?"
Mayor: "Well, I wouldn't say that first...."
Statin head: "What would you say first?"
Mayor: "How about, 'Hey, you'll never guess what happened'... "

Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 11 2017, 9:28am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 11 2017, 9:28am

Post #20 of 35 (1513 views)
Shortcut
What did you think of this season of GoT? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 11 2017, 3:51pm

Post #21 of 35 (1498 views)
Shortcut
"The Orville" - Star Trek Lite [In reply to] Can't Post

both the drama and the comedy were superficial and forced.

I was wrong; it was on an hour before "Outlander" so I got to watch that too. Now that's a well-done show (even if I think the scriptwriters have been influenced by GoT and feel they have to go for as much violence and gore as possible).

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 11 2017, 3:54pm

Post #22 of 35 (1497 views)
Shortcut
love that movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam Neill and Patrick Warburton especially.

-- Gaston Bachelard

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Sep 13 2017, 2:52pm

Post #23 of 35 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Re: White Princess and Kudos to The Sinner with Jessica Biel [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello KWE, I'll second you on the fine acting in WP, especially Jodie Comer and Jacob Collins Levy the monarchs. I like the structure--it's the prequel to the life of Henry #8 and we'll see him grow up to a certain point depending on the run of the show. Would like to see how he was shaped by Henry #7 and his mother, the old here's how he became the man you know in history.

Comer and Levy are excellent at taking an arranged marriage and making something powerful and lasting out of it. Even showed some genuine passion and affection as their relationship grew. I like the many pivots and some unexpected moves. Comer as queen leading the army to Henry is inspiring and compelling. And Levy is very good at letting us see Henry did not have all the answers, struggled with his vulnerability and threats against him, but harnessed himself with the queen's help/support/counsel. Everyone seems well cast and the execution of the pretender was a rousing Braveheart type moment, as he died a noble death and got off some compelling lines before he was dispatched.

Weird flash: there is something about Comer's character arc, getting stronger and stronger as the shows go on, that reminds me of Sophie Turner as Sansa in GOT. Able to turn misfortune, personal setbacks, mistakes, naive actions around into something positive and learn to become a ruler.

Re: the Sinner. Jessica Biel really goes the distance in this one, down to the last 2 shows for the season. It's a great premise--we see her kill a man in broad daylight while she is with husband and child at the beach and the weird mystery begins. Bill Pullman also shines as the small town police detective who is obsessed at finding out why she did it. Very nicely drawn out suspense and some mentally stimulating legal and law enforcement angles, as well as intense, violent situations. Really works the viewer over. Biel felt she wasn't getting offered roles she wanted or that would challenge her, so she is the executive producer, good job as well as her acting. Real fine range of emotions whether she is eerily calm or falling to pieces. Looking forward to the climax.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
(from the scroll rooms of Gondor in the Mystery section)

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on Sep 13 2017, 2:58pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Sep 13 2017, 5:16pm

Post #24 of 35 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Re: the Pretender [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, but 13th, I think a huge point of the story as told in this version is that we are meant to believe that Warbeck really was Richard of York - and that, furthermore, Elizabeth knew it. She also acquiesced in her most definitely innocent cousin Edward of Warwick's execution to consolidate her nuclear family's power and/or safety. As I said, I think the end left things wide open regarding whether or not the deaths were really necessary for the sake of her children's lives, or whether she had gotten used to the position and did not want to downgrade to Princess instead of Queen and eventual Queen Mother. She also apparently did truly fall in love with Henry and ultimately chose his life over Richard and Edward's.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 14 2017, 2:00am

Post #25 of 35 (1411 views)
Shortcut
To the Ends of the Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

A BBC miniseries starring Benedict Cumberbatch as a young English lord taking passage on a ship to Australia in 1815.  It's more about the social interactions among the varied passengers and crew than about the seafaring, and I could have done with less lewd and crude material especially in the first episode, but these very flawed and very human characters are well-drawn.  Eventually they grow into a kind of dysfunctional family that I'm glad I knew.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.