Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
do we need some new Internet Warrior tropes?
Poll: do we need some new Internet Warrior tropes?
Over-liker (likes EVERYTHING)
Over-sharer (thinks you want to know things like "Just finished my coffee")
Loyal opposition (follows a page only to argue with everyone on it)
Drum beater (no matter what the topic, they'll make it about their issue)
Willful misunderstander (they totally missed your point, but you can't convince them of it)
Easily offended (similar to above but with the PC element added)
Left field responder (responses make no sense)
Actually-arian (corrects you on some or all of your post)
Hijacker (provokes a discussion that has little to do with your post)
Other (what?
View Results (35 votes)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 5 2017, 7:38pm

Post #1 of 11 (1242 views)
Shortcut
do we need some new Internet Warrior tropes? Can't Post

Years ago there was a website that had descriptions of various kinds of "flame warriors," including such tropes as "Tireless Rebutter," "Grammarian," "Infant Provocateur" etc. I can't find it any more, alas. But lately I've been thinking that these tropes predated social media, particularly Facebook, and that we need a whole new set.

I've come up with a few listed above. Feel free to click on those you think are needed as well as to add your own.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 5 2017, 11:02pm

Post #2 of 11 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Twitter-baby [In reply to] Can't Post

Subject to Twitter tantrums.

I don't tweet, butt I can't say that I've never been guilty of one or more of the others.

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 5 2017, 11:50pm

Post #3 of 11 (1173 views)
Shortcut
good one [In reply to] Can't Post

I rarely use Twitter, and only for business-related posts, and I don't follow a lot of people . . . but one hears stories.

I'm guilty of Actually-arianism from time to time. Just put up a Snopes link refuting a scurrilous story that a friend posted, in fact.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6 2017, 3:11am

Post #4 of 11 (1155 views)
Shortcut
The original site is gone but [In reply to] Can't Post

they've collected a lot of them here, for anyone who's interested.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 6 2017, 4:48am

Post #5 of 11 (1142 views)
Shortcut
I'd throw in Devil's Advocate [In reply to] Can't Post

There's always that underlying uncertainty of whether or not they privately hold the opinion they're "stepping into" momentarily. Plenty of people aren't this trope and can provide an actual devil's advocate position for the greater good...but to be honest, how many times have I internally thanked someone for moving discussion forward by taking this stance? Not many. Things tend to unravel.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 6 2017, 4:49am)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 6 2017, 3:08pm

Post #6 of 11 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Memer [In reply to] Can't Post

one who posts only memes, either as original posts or responses to others

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 6 2017, 4:35pm

Post #7 of 11 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Thumba-texter [In reply to] Can't Post

One who can thumb-text faster than they can talk. (YES! I know such a person! Amazing!!)

Me? I've never sent a 'text.
I've never 'tweeted'.
I 'facebooked' once or twice many many years ago.

I use a cell phone for . . . . . . . talking (& listening). But that's just me! Shocked

And do I feel the fogy prize headed my way?? Tongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6 2017, 11:55pm

Post #8 of 11 (1070 views)
Shortcut
What an incredible list! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who'd have known, there were so many types?

I think I recognize a few of those...haven't seen them around here much, lately...Evil

Angelic

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 13 2017, 9:47pm

Post #9 of 11 (972 views)
Shortcut
Poe Boy (or Girl) [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone who when caught trolling invokes Poe’s Law that without the voice inflection and body language of personal communication internet posts are easily misinterpreted despite the fact that avoiding such is exactly what having a sixth grade level writing skill is all about.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 22 2017, 7:17pm

Post #10 of 11 (852 views)
Shortcut
Vague-book-er [In reply to] Can't Post

Drives me crazy when someone posts something to the general crowd that's clearly aimed at a specific unknown person. "You ruined my life, you jerk!" I always want to reply "Who, me?" Sometimes I do and the person replies "LOL, no." Whew!

I look through your list and I think "Oh, oh. I resemble that remark." But self-awareness keeps me from doing more of it than I already do. I have started and then deleted so many posts that fit into some of those categories. :-/

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 25 2017, 4:16pm

Post #11 of 11 (836 views)
Shortcut
my niece [In reply to] Can't Post

excels at posting vague posts that clearly have meaning to HER and perhaps a few of her friends, but that always have me replying "?"

There are also those who, I suspect, WANT people to ask "what do you mean?" My younger bro does that out of the blue all the time: "Well, that's interesting."
<pause until someone says "what is?">
I've stopped asking and just wait him out.

(This post was edited by Annael on Sep 25 2017, 4:17pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.