Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Guillermo's 'The Shape of Water' wins top prize at the Venice Film Festival

mwirkk
Rohan

Sep 10 2017, 5:23am

Post #1 of 4 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo's 'The Shape of Water' wins top prize at the Venice Film Festival Can't Post

Not Hobbit related news, per se, but I thought some Guillermo Del Toro fans might be interested to hear that his entry in the 74th annual Venice Film Festival, "The Shape of Water", was awarded top honour - the Golden Lion. Congratulations Guillermo!

https://www.bing.com/...l=3097&efirst=20

Cheers! pax
-mwirkk

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 10 2017, 12:58pm

Post #2 of 4 (1112 views)
Shortcut
I've seen a trailer for this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was intrigued. The film looks like remake of The Creature from the Black Lagoon for smart people, with a little (a lot?) of Hellboy's Abe Sapien thrown in for good measure.

This thread should probably be in the Off Topic forums.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall. -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 10 2017, 1:04pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 12 2017, 12:15pm

Post #3 of 4 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you mwirkk! [In reply to] Can't Post

The creature motif is strong in this one. That aside, I'm curious to see if/how the movie fits in with PL and DB.

Thanks for the link.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2017, 12:37am

Post #4 of 4 (1011 views)
Shortcut
I'm so happy for Guillermo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that awards and critical approval are the be all end all (not at all the case), but it still must mean a great deal to him for his film to be received with so much fervor. Pan's Labyrinth is still one of my all time favorite films, and TSoW looks very great indeed. I just wish it was coming along a little sooner! Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.