Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lily Collins Joins Nicholas Hoult in J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 30 2017, 10:01pm

Post #1 of 7 (735 views)
Shortcut
Lily Collins Joins Nicholas Hoult in J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic Can't Post

I found this item on the Tolkien biographical film at IMDb. It's an article from the Hollywood Reporter:

'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' actor Anthony Boyle also has joined the Fox Searchlight and Chernin Entertainment film.

Lily Collins is in talks to join Nicholas Hoult in Chernin Entertainment and Fox Searchlight's J.R.R. Tolkien biopic.

Anthony Boyle, known for playing Scorpius Malfoy in the British play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, also has signed on for the film centered on the famed author.

In Tolkien, Hoult will play the author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings book series that were later adapted into two Hollywood trilogies from Peter Jackson. Dome Karukoski is directing the project.

Tolkien, written by David Gleeson and Stephen Beresford, explores the early life of novelist J.R.R. Tolkien as he finds love, friendship and artistic inspiration among a group of fellow outcasts. When the horrors of World War I envelope Tolkien's life, they threaten to tear this "fellowship" apart, and he questions the very meaning and purpose of his art. Instead Tolkien finds a way to use these experiences as inspiration for his famous works, among them The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Collins will play Edith Bratt, Tolkien's great love and eventual wife who inspired the elven princess characters in the Lord of the Rings saga.

You can find the complete article here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...lkien-biopic-1033539.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall. -- The Doctor

Eruonen
Valinor

Aug 30 2017, 10:35pm

Post #2 of 7 (709 views)
Shortcut
Sound good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Valinor

Aug 30 2017, 11:04pm

Post #3 of 7 (705 views)
Shortcut
I imagine Anthony Boyle will have to adopt Tolkien's fast and clipped speaking style but [In reply to] Can't Post

will have the hard task of making it comprehensible.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2017, 11:19am

Post #4 of 7 (652 views)
Shortcut
I'm really looking forward to this :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's own story is quite incredible. The cast sounds very solid in their ability to do the real-life characters justice :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

squire
Half-elven

Sep 1 2017, 8:59pm

Post #5 of 7 (616 views)
Shortcut
Hoult is playing Tolkien. The piece didn't specify Boyle's role. [In reply to] Can't Post

But your comment is generally very applicable. How much effort will this film make to be true to its period, and how much will they forego or even modernize? How will they try to grab and hold that large segment of the audience for the New Line films that knows and cares nothing for the kind of understated Edwardian drama that characterized the real Tolkiens' early lives?

It doesn't help to read the press release and find out that Edith Tolkien was the inspiration for the the Elvish princesses (note plural) that appeared in the LotR and Hobbit films. I won't be surprised if the screenwriter, in order to avoid confusion, simply has Tolkien begin writing the LotR in the trenches of the Somme.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eruonen
Valinor

Sep 1 2017, 9:20pm

Post #6 of 7 (612 views)
Shortcut
Quite correct, I switched names for some reason - [In reply to] Can't Post

If done well, I think of films like Shadow Lands (C.S. Lewis)...broke even at best....and

Box Office

Budget: $22,000,000 (estimated)
Gross: $25,842,000 (USA)

Finding Neverland (J.M. Barrie) as similar author bios that were very good films and it did respectable at the box office

Box Office

Budget: $25,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $1,113,521 (Europe) (29 October 2004)
Gross: $51,680,613 (USA)

squire
Half-elven

Sep 1 2017, 10:26pm

Post #7 of 7 (601 views)
Shortcut
I think both those films were pretty well done [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree that they would be good stylistic models for a Tolkien biopic with some integration of his fiction into the story.

I guess I am worried that, when those films were made, neither Lewis (C.S. or Carroll!) was already invested in a billion-dollar film franchise with a notable trait of popularizing and updating the author's outlook to fit modern genre expectations!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.