The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Caption Contest LXV

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2017, 4:41am

Post #1 of 14 (5448 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Caption Contest LXV Can't Post

Otaku-sempai has kindly commanded me to go forth and post. With the help of Rankin-Bass, I may have gone a little forther than usual this time.

Original here: https://i.pinimg.com/...788d34f08bb46e40.jpg

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2017, 6:03am

Post #2 of 14 (5365 views)
Shortcut
So, about those 'high' elves... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 30 2017, 7:12am

Post #3 of 14 (5363 views)
Shortcut
Elrond wins Rivendell's annual cosplay contest. [In reply to] Can't Post

ELROND: Ooo! Look at me! I'm Círdan the Shipwright! I'm the eldest of Eldar! I can grow a beard!

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 31 2017, 12:01am

Post #4 of 14 (5308 views)
Shortcut
"My god... I'm full of stars!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry Meneldor Angelic

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 31 2017, 10:53am

Post #5 of 14 (5264 views)
Shortcut
They realised at once that this was an imposter.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and began throwing splodges of paint.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 31 2017, 11:20pm

Post #6 of 14 (5220 views)
Shortcut
Don't ever apologize for making me laugh, BG! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sorry Meneldor Angelic

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 3 2017, 12:46am

Post #7 of 14 (5040 views)
Shortcut
Oh this is perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice one, Bracegirdle WinkLaugh

StingingFly
Lorien

Sep 3 2017, 11:56am

Post #8 of 14 (5021 views)
Shortcut
"One hundred and forty seven score and one year ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation..." [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by StingingFly on Sep 3 2017, 11:57am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 3 2017, 2:40pm

Post #9 of 14 (5010 views)
Shortcut
Whose fathers, Lord Elrond? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"One hundred and forty seven score and one year ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation..."

GANDALF: Those were not your fathers, Lord Elrond; you are not of the Dúnedain. And your math is off, old friend. The kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor were both founded in the year 3320 of the Second Age: that would be one hundred fifty-five score and two years ago. Are you certain that the Peredhil aren't subject to senility? [whispering to Bilbo] Elrond did himself found Rivendell; but that was even earlier: four thousand six hundred eighty-five years ago, in the year 1697 of the Second Age. Poor old fellow; I think he's losing it. I suspected as much as soon as I spied the beard.

StingingFly
Lorien

Sep 3 2017, 4:16pm

Post #10 of 14 (4996 views)
Shortcut
Well done, sir... [In reply to] Can't Post

...My thought was taking the time of Bilbo's 'visit' (TA 2941) and comparing the defeat of Sauron to the defeat of the British.

Why Elrond was talking about anyone's fathers I can't explain...then again, why he would sport an Abe Lincoln style beard is perhaps even more perplexing.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 3 2017, 7:54pm

Post #11 of 14 (4971 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I saw what you were going for, but I couldn't resist. Evil The metaphor just doesn't hold up. The founding of the two Kingdoms was a result of the fall of Númenor and not at all connected to the defeat of Sauron. Likewise, the founding of Imladris is tied to the threat of Sauron and the destruction of Eregion.

I wonder if the person who created that character design for Elrond was taken with the physical description of Círdan the Shipwright, and drew on that using the justification that Tolkien never specified that Elrond didn't have a beard. Angelic The character design for the Elvenking in the Rankin/Bass Hobbit is even more puzzling.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 3 2017, 7:56pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 7 2017, 4:47pm

Post #12 of 14 (4695 views)
Shortcut
Elrond to Balin: "See, I have a beard and no mustache just like you! [In reply to] Can't Post

We could be twins!"

Balin: "Nah! You're seeing things!"

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2017, 1:22am

Post #13 of 14 (4623 views)
Shortcut
OK, time for this reference to win something. [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor gets a share of the glory of course but it's still up to you to post the next picture!

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2017, 1:24am

Post #14 of 14 (4617 views)
Shortcut
The miruvor-distilling experiment succeeded beyond anyone's expectations./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.