Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien and the Viking Club

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2017, 9:31pm

Post #1 of 7 (900 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien and the Viking Club Can't Post

A nice article here about the Viking Club:
https://m.thevintagenews.com/...thusiastic-drinking/

What fascinated me most, was the reprint of the Tolkien family Christmas card. I don't recall ever having seen it before. Fascinating!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2017, 3:47am

Post #2 of 7 (833 views)
Shortcut
'Songs for the Philologists' of the Viking Club. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would dearly love to see a copy of those poems and songs, an early example and artefact of 20th century Middle-earth geekdom. We come from a long, proud heritage, Tornfolk. Smile http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/philologists.php

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the city.

LOTR, The Ride of the Rohirrim

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 25 2017, 12:30pm

Post #3 of 7 (792 views)
Shortcut
Goose-bumps [In reply to] Can't Post

If that doesn't stir the heart, check for a pulse... That is some fine epic prose right there.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2017, 1:58pm

Post #4 of 7 (759 views)
Shortcut
what? [In reply to] Can't Post

''Because of their informal nature, the evenings of the Viking Club were often drunken and loud, and sometimes they even ended with a full-fledged brawl.''

- where on earth has this come from? They're making stuff up. What's more, Tolkien wasn't in 'the Royal Army' - there was not and is not a 'Royal Army'; it's the British Army. And Chesterton was never a member of the Inklings.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2017, 2:05pm

Post #5 of 7 (759 views)
Shortcut
what's more - [In reply to] Can't Post

''Furthermore, Tolkien and Gordon used the meetings of the Viking Club to compile a collection of their own works in Germanic languages and publish it as Songs for the Philologists.''

No - Tolkien and Gordon never published 'Songs'. It was a hand-out for their students at Leeds, one of whom - A. H. Smith - gave his copy to his students at University College in 1936 as a printing exercise. Afterwards, he remembered that he hadn't asked for permission, so asked the pupils to hand back their copies. All but a few were handed back - estimated ar 14, but a few others have surfaced since 1992 - and Smith put them in a cupboard. Then there was a fire -

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2017, 1:02pm

Post #6 of 7 (723 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered if anyone would do a double-take with that line about brawling. Ah, yes, can't you see the good Professor and his peers slugging it out...

It is curious, how many "liberties" the writer took with the facts. I wonder if they were just research-lazy, or felt the need for some "embellishment".

That Christmas card has been bothering me. I couldn't recall it at all - then I poked through Carter's biography, and found it in black-and-white, which explains why the colorized version felt strange to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 27 2017, 7:03pm

Post #7 of 7 (715 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! I simply could not square brawling [In reply to] Can't Post

with anything--little as it is--that I know about the professor.

I wonder how Chesterton would have felt about his "posthumous membership . . ."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.