First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 24 2017, 12:17pm

Post #1 of 27 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!!! August 24 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope you've had a great week :) We're having perfect walking / yard-work weather here in Michigan this coming week. All day temps are supposed to be in the mid-70s f, so I'm making plans to get some work done in the garage and emptying out my rented storage shed of my sister, daughter, and my "stuff". The plan is to have a yard sale and unload all of this "stuff", but I'm quickly losing interest ;)

So how has your week been... and what great heights are you attacking this coming week? Come and join us on the Road! I promise to stop at as many pubs as possible ;)

My Progress: Cumulated 791 miles. I've completed the 789 mile walk with Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas from Isengard to the Pelennor Fields... picking up the Dead along the way.

I've joined the 578 mile Ride with Merry and the Rohirrim from Isengard to Dunharrow then on to Minas Tirith and the Pelennor Fields. Maybe we'll find some old friend there :D

TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

FYI - How I track my mileage

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 24 2017, 12:20pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 24 2017, 7:41pm

Post #2 of 27 (2005 views)
Shortcut
Checking in! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been quite a stressful week for me with some serious family drama going on, but fortunately things have started to calm down and I've had the chance to enjoy my holiday, which begun on Tuesday. I'm being lazy and spending most of my time indoors surfing the web, working on a couple of stories, watching stuff etc. I even got around to watch The Hobbit again! Weather hasn't been great, so staying inside has been the logical choice.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 44
Cumulative miles: 8967

In Middle-earth, we're approaching the Forsaken Inn on our journey back from the Lonely Mountain. The Shire isn't far away anymore!

Happy walking!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 25 2017, 12:05pm

Post #3 of 27 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Shire hangout at home and on the Road :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry you've had drama going on. Those times are always so draining and sad. I'm glad it is calming down... but still...

What perfect timing to have some quiet time at home! I love getting things done and going on my walks... but sometimes just hanging out and having some down time is just what the psyche ordered ;)

Isn't it funny how almost getting the the quiet Shire and having quiet time at home hit at the same time!? Someone's trying to tell you something!!!!! ;)

Have a GREAT week!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 25 2017, 12:09pm

Post #4 of 27 (1982 views)
Shortcut
*peers into treeline* [In reply to] Can't Post

How come I get the feeling we're being watched... and followed!? ;)

Come out, come out wherever you are!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

tinkermarm
Bree

Aug 31 2017, 11:29pm

Post #5 of 27 (1941 views)
Shortcut
I ain't droppin' no eaves! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's creepy. Here I am finally making it back to the boards in many moons, and you're calling me out on it, Gramma!

I don't know if you guys remember me. I'm working on a "Walking to Mordor" app. Thought I'd drop by and poke around to see how everyone's progress was going these days. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2017, 3:43am

Post #6 of 27 (1921 views)
Shortcut
Hey tinkermarm!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You know when you holler into the woods, someone will holler back! THANKS! I'm so happy to see you're on the Road!

I just came on to update for this week. I've got a full back of lembas I'm happy to share ;)

Cheers... and see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2017, 3:52am

Post #7 of 27 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - August 31 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

I hope everyone is having a great week! Mine has been busy... as usual... but in a good way. The weather is in the low to mid-70s... which is perfect! There's a huge Amish Flea Market tomorrow that I'll be heading out for, and that means at least 4 hours of walking up and down booth after booth of goods and wares.

So how are you doing? DO TELL!

My Progress: Cumulated 37 miles of the 578 miles into Ride with Merry and the Rohirrim. We just passed through the destroyed gate of Isengard after the confrontation with Saruman... leaving the flooded land behind. Very strange to have this now with all that is going on in Texas and Louisiana.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 1 2017, 8:01am

Post #8 of 27 (1908 views)
Shortcut
Time for another update! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just when it looked like the situation had begun to calm down, it all heats up again! I won't go into the details, it's tiresome as it is. On other news, my holiday is almost over -- three more days and I'll have to get back in the saddle. I'm not overly excited, but I'm not dreading it either, it's just that all the personal drama has dampened my spirits a bit as I haven't been able to enjoy the time off as much as I would have liked.

I racked up a few more miles than last week, although I'd still describe it as a relatively lazy week.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 51
Cumulative miles: 9018

In Middle-earth, I'm currently passing by the Old Forest with Bilbo, Gandalf and a few treasure-laden ponies. We're almost there!

Happy walking!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 1 2017, 8:04am

Post #9 of 27 (1908 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear for you again, tinkermarm! [In reply to] Can't Post

How's the app coming along?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2017, 10:41am

Post #10 of 27 (1896 views)
Shortcut
Strange... [In reply to] Can't Post

The end of your Journey with Bilbo and Gandalf is timed to the end of your holiday... maybe it's a sign!

Drama is like having a sliver, isn't it? It doesn't necessarily disable you, but it's a terrible distraction and discomfort. Doesn't it figure it would happen during the short time when you should be able to relax and enjoy? Now, going back to routine will be the respite.

Uhhh... only 51 miles? Were you sleeping a lot? ;) *kaff* Well done, BlackFox! Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

tinkermarm
Bree

Sep 3 2017, 2:23am

Post #11 of 27 (1873 views)
Shortcut
If a Gramma Hollers in the Woods and Nobody's Around to Hear It... ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmmm, lembas. Good to be back on the road!

I'm at mile 315 as of today, so following a wide shallow curving valley somewhere three days out from Weathertop. Weather is fair. Food is still in good supply, so the important stuff is covered. Wink

Hope all is well with the rest of you fellow travelers here. Smile

tinkermarm
Bree

Sep 3 2017, 2:51am

Post #12 of 27 (1875 views)
Shortcut
...with the time we have... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiyya, BlackFox, thanks for asking!

It's coming along pretty well. I worked on it for a class project this Spring and had hoped to release shortly after, but that was more of a "quick, get it working so we can have something to present!" project. Now that I'm out of school I've scrapped the old version and am working on a more production-level one.

The thing with this new version is that I'm being really picky and doing my best to stay true-to-form as far as location mileage goes: when you're at 458 miles, you're going to be in Rivendell. That said, I decided that I'd like to be that precise for all of the points, including the "little stuff" like Farmer Maggot's, the barrow wights, etc. Trick is, the map I'm using (and it looks like pretty much every Tolkien map) isn't really to scale; at least, according to the breakdown on the Eowyn Challenge site. So, it's a lot of fun, but it's at the tedious stage of mapping out the whole path as precisely as possible.

It's been an amazing project: I have an excuse to pore over maps of Middle-earth, comparing the little details, trying to track down other maps with more details, seeing which map has a better view of Hobbiton, etc. I love it.

Been considering possibly doing a blog in case anyone is interested in the development process (e.g. step-counting vs. GPS, global coordinates vs. pixels, or that time I tried to do a real-world mapping of Middle-earth with the map as a digital overlay based on coordinates Tolkien gave an illustrator for where he pictured cities on a regular map/globe--hint: that was informative but didn't go so well). But is that something people would actually read?? It's a thought, at any rate. Current thought is to just keep coding, since that's the most important part. If there's interest generated in the process, I certainly don't mind sharing the little stuff that's gone on in the background. :)

Again, thanks for asking! I hope all's well after your week off, and that whatever the drama is it's not in the way so much this next week. That's never any fun. :P

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 3 2017, 9:31am

Post #13 of 27 (1847 views)
Shortcut
I, for one, would love more frequent updates [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether in blog form or here, it's up to you. I'm glad it isn't just hard work, but lots of fun as well. Keep it up! I can't wait to see (and use) the results. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2017, 12:42pm

Post #14 of 27 (1831 views)
Shortcut
She primal screams :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm told I have a scream that should be rented out to horror films. I think it was my ex that said it... hmmmm....

So you're still on the "happy little outing" phase? ;) AWESOME! See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2017, 12:09pm

Post #15 of 27 (1801 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic!!! Yes, please do share and it's always a great idea to keep a blog; but postings here would be wonderful!! I started my TIME posts from tracking the Appendix B entries with text from the books. What you're doing is so exciting to have a detailed, researched map! So very cool!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 4 2017, 12:10pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2017, 3:27pm

Post #16 of 27 (1689 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - September 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!!

I hope, hope, hope our comrades in the Southern US in the Gulf and Atlantlic areas are faring well from the TWO punishing hurricanes that brutalized that region this past week! Hurricane Irma is happening even as I write this! TAKE CARE EVERYONE! I lived in Tampa for over 2 years, so I have an idea of what is going on.

As for my adventures and progress here in mid-Michigan, all is well with very comfy weather in the mid-70s F. A bit rainy, but the corn and soy fields around me are very grateful. I'm still doing heavy outdoor work around the house while I can. I'm also putting up a shed and doing body-work on Hobbity (my suv-bondo/fiberglass/etc). I DID get to hit 2 flea markets over the holiday weekend, so I got in about 7 hours of walking! SO FUN!

Do tell... what have you been up to?

My Progress: 28 miles
Cumulated 65 miles of the 578 miles into the Ride with Merry and the Rohirrim. We've passed Helm's Deep and are continuing our long trek to Dunharrow.

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 7 2017, 3:57pm

Post #17 of 27 (1689 views)
Shortcut
It's done... [In reply to] Can't Post

I DID IT!!! I completed all the challenges, both those of LOTR and The Hobbit. I took me 978 days or 2 years, 8 months and 4 days. What a journey this has been! I've always been active, but never quite as active as right now -- motivation truly is the key. I'd like to say a big thank-you to Arandiel and gramma for introducing me to this crazy fun game. It has had a big impact on my life, bigger than I ever could have imagined when I first started the quest. I'm not really done, I plan to continue walking (and biking etc.), I just don't know where to yet! Any ideas?

tinkermarm
Bree

Sep 12 2017, 9:55pm

Post #18 of 27 (1631 views)
Shortcut
WOW! Congratulations and then some! [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox, that's amazing. :D

I would love to hear any additional things you've learned on your quest or insights you've gained from doing such a long trek. Likewise, any pointers for us newbies, and/or things you did to keep going for so long would be awesome. If you're so inclined to share in some kind of a summary. Wink

Oh, also would be curious what you used to track your mileage. And how much you walked versus biked. And if you used any other means of getting around.

Pretty much anything you want to share I'd like to hear. That's probably a better way to put it. Tongue

tinkermarm
Bree

Sep 12 2017, 10:10pm

Post #19 of 27 (1627 views)
Shortcut
HA! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that--while occasionally tedious, as app-development can tend to be--I will never get past the "this is so cool, I get to geek out over LotR maps for a practical project!" phase. Wink

I'm thinking that regular updates on the TORn forums might be good in place of a blog for now, but I don't want to hijack your walk thread. It's not really a video game, so I don't think it belongs there. I'm deciding between "Main" and "Off Topic", but the off-topic stuff seems really off topic. Suggestions?

And, in other news, I've gotten to 317.5 miles, so officially on the fourth day from Weathertop, continuing in a valley. Wishing I'd remembered to turn on my tracker when I was out at an annual SCA event all day on Saturday... Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 12 2017, 11:15pm

Post #20 of 27 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Oh booger on forgetting to turn on your tracker! [In reply to] Can't Post

But you have a pretty good idea of your time, effort and distance... so take your best shot and we'll call it good :)

Hey! I don't mind at all if you decide to do your map project here. I think it will help get people more involved with our trekking; but why don't you go to the Feedback page and pose the question to them? I think your 2 options sound good, but because it might be considered a game.

I remember when I started my TIME/BS posts, there was a bit of debate of where they belonged.

I can't WAIT to see it! :D

Well done on your progress! You'll be the one I see skipping down the road all the time ;) I'LL JOIN YOU!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 12 2017, 11:43pm

Post #21 of 27 (1622 views)
Shortcut
WOOHOO!!! *tosses confetti* WOW! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

WELL DONE!!! It doesn't feel like you'll EVER get to the end, then suddenly... there it is! That's absolutely how the hobbits must have felt when they finally made it home :D

I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU! *pins badge on chest*. What I did when I finished my first round is that I would pick and choose where I wanted to go. Dashed off here and ventured there; but you get to do whatever you want! That's the beauty of the walk. You know you're still gonna keep going... so you may as well pick a destination. Then get some ICE CREAM!!! You've earned it!

I'm still sitting here smiling like a fool! *high five* TALLY HO!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 13 2017, 11:03am

Post #22 of 27 (1600 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was an easy choice to start as well as to keep going, I was already walking and biking daily, so I thought I'd make it a bit more exciting. Gradually, I became more and more active. I recon at least half of the mileage came from biking, although walking remains my favorite activity. That's all the sport I do, the rest of it is the result of doing the chores, mowing the lawn, shovelling snow etc.

I use different means to keep track of the distance I've covered: stationary bike does it for me, I go by rough estimates when walking and convert the time it took me to get something done into miles for other activities and then mark the daily sum down in my log (which I keep in an Excel file).

Any tips for newbies? Start slow and take your time, there's no need to wear yourself out in the first couple of weeks, it'll drain the fun from the experience, which in the end is what it's all about.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 13 2017, 11:06am

Post #23 of 27 (1598 views)
Shortcut
*high five* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for the constant encouragement, gramma!

tinkermarm
Bree

Sep 13 2017, 12:52pm

Post #24 of 27 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Yes, booger indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit of insight into my methodology:

Part of this "Walking to Mordor" challenge for me is to push myself to be more intentionally active, not just passively moving about. I'm also using it as a way to remember little details (e.g. turning on my tracking app). So, the mileage I'm tallying is only the mileage that I purposely set out to walk or bike instead of that which I get running around "the flat" or on errands, etc. Personally, I like this because it means making an excuse to get outside, where I'd rather be anyway. =)

And yes, gramma, I'll be skipping when I'm not stopping for tea or meandering whilst trying to identify the "weeds" (pretty sure someone once said that weeds are just flowers with which we haven't yet been acquainted; I like that). It's a grand adventure, eh? Join me for a cuppa tea on the road sometime! ;D

tinkermarm
Bree

Sep 13 2017, 12:55pm

Post #25 of 27 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great insights there. It's neat to see what everybody does for their trips, since everyone approaches it a little differently.

So, what now? Will you try it again? Go on a different path? (I mean, there's Aragorns, and Gandalf's, and Merry's, and...)

Curious to see where you decide to head off to next. :D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.