Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Quotes on top

dimaria

Aug 19 2017, 1:33pm

Post #1 of 6 (660 views)
Shortcut
Quotes on top Can't Post

OK here's another one - and I actually tried to figure this one out myself before posting! Mad

When you reply to a post by quoting it, how do you type your message under the quote? I've seen others do it that way, but my quote attempt had me writing on top of the quote box.....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 19 2017, 1:50pm

Post #2 of 6 (632 views)
Shortcut
Go to the end [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
OK here's another one - and I actually tried to figure this one out myself before posting! Mad

When you reply to a post by quoting it, how do you type your message under the quote? I've seen others do it that way, but my quote attempt had me writing on top of the quote box.....

Easy peasy. You scroll down to the end of the reply, make sure your cursor is to the right of the end-reply, /reply in brackets [ ], and bring the cursor down a line or two using 'enter'. Then start typing.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall. -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 19 2017, 1:52pm)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2017, 1:52pm

Post #3 of 6 (627 views)
Shortcut
Try this [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

You know, I've never really used the quote option, but if you switch to Basic Editor and then start typing after the "hr" in square brackets which closes the quote, it seems to work - and then you can switch back to Advanced Editor to finish the post.

Storm clouds

(This post was edited by Eledhwen on Aug 19 2017, 1:53pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 19 2017, 3:10pm

Post #4 of 6 (619 views)
Shortcut
Something I often do [In reply to] Can't Post

If you only want to quote part of someone's post (you'll need to be able to see the Advanced Editor bar to do this (only available if you're using Firefox as your internet browser):

1) highlight the part you want to quote and hit the Ctrl C keys (to copy it)

2) go to your reply box and hit 'enter' several times

3) go back up to the space you created by hitting enter and copy in the part of their post you want to quote (Ctrl V)

4) Highlight their text and click on the quote icon above.

When you reply to a post by quoting it, how do you type your message under the quote?

5) you'll then be able to go below the quoted line and keep typing.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2017, 9:07pm

Post #5 of 6 (577 views)
Shortcut
That's how I do it too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 20 2017, 6:37am

Post #6 of 6 (543 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I just cut 'n paste the bit I want, write the word 'quote', and put lines over and under it. Quick and easy. I don't go for these fancy methods.
*sound of banjos playing in the background*

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.