The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Footer image and text alignment?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 9:54am

Post #1 of 10 (718 views)
Shortcut
Footer image and text alignment? Can't Post

This is my sixteenth post here --all previous ones have been deleted-- as I try to figure out the footer.

Below, there should be two versions of my footer. I am attempting to recreate the footer I had on the old boards, which can be seen, for example, here.

In the first version below, I used Markup style, and the photobucket image comes through fine but I can't see an option to align the image left. This is what I typed, except that where you see a boldfaced X or Y, I have an opening or closing square bracket, respectively:

XimageYhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/u35/NE_Brigand/TORN-Hobbit-I/scan0001-1.jpgX/imageYXurl "http://www.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/45B5BADA000267B6.html"YTolkien Illustrated!X/urlY Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

And here is what I have for the second version, using HTML as previously on TORN (I've tried here with both lowercase and capital letters with no difference in result). The alignment, sizing, and description are working, but the image doesn't come through. In this case a bold X and Y replace an opening and closing angle bracket, respectively:

XIMG SCR="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/u35/NE_Brigand/TORN-Hobbit-I/scan0001-1.jpg" WIDTH=125 HEIGHT=71 ALT="Detail from earliest version of Thror's Map" ALIGN="left"YXA HREF="http://www.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/readingroom/45B5BADA000267B6.html"YTolkien Illustrated!X/AY Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 12-18: Tim & Greg Hildebrandt.

Revie
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 10:21am

Post #2 of 10 (601 views)
Shortcut
IMG SCR [In reply to] Can't Post

XIMG SCR=

You might want to try "IMG SRC"? (if that's just a typo, then nevermind)

FKA: Arevanye

Dymer's Dream: A Graphics Journal

(This post was edited by Revie on Feb 18 2007, 10:22am)

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 1:13pm

Post #3 of 10 (589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Revie] IMG SCR [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

drogo
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 1:14pm

Post #4 of 10 (581 views)
Shortcut
No html < > here [In reply to] Can't Post

html angle brackets don't work here; it's a somewhat modified BBCode.

It's either image or img in tags with square brackets:

XimgYhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/drogodrogo/morannon_black_gate.gifX/imgY

If you use Photobucket, it's the img code they supply, as with this below

The biggest difference between Gossamer Forum BBcode and other boards (notably Invisionfree boards) seems to be that you omit the = in tags such as the URL tag and font size and color text.

Reera the Red has mastered the code pretty well for images, so you might PM her for more techie assistance.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

(This post was edited by drogo on Feb 18 2007, 1:15pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 5:00pm

Post #5 of 10 (574 views)
Shortcut
N.E., you can still use regular HTML here [In reply to] Can't Post

See 2.10 of the FAQ:

Can I use more HTML code than is available in the Advanced Editor or via Markup?
Yes. Click on the [Edit Profile] link at the top of the board, and then click on [Display Settings]. You may change your “Default Post Style” to “Plain Text Only” (Basic Editor), “Markup” (Advanced Editor), “HTML” (you may use “true” HTML to format your posts) and “Markup and HTML,” (you may use the Advanced Editor plus add your own HTML formatting in the “Basic Editor” window).

If you want to use the Basic Editor, there will be a link "Get Markup Help" above the "Post" box that will give you formatting examples. That's in the following FAQ seciton. Smile

FAQ 2.09:

How can I get markup help?
If you use the “Basic Editor” to reply to posts, you have an assortment of Markup” HTML available to format your posts. Note that instead of using the traditional <….> signs to enclose the code, Markup uses brackets: [….]. To see what’s available, or to get help while composing a reply, click on the [Get Markup Help] link at the top of the “Post” box when you are replying to a post. Remember you can also toggle to the Advanced Editor at any time if you use IE and Mozilla web browsers (See 2.8 above).

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 5:22pm

Post #6 of 10 (562 views)
Shortcut
D'oh! Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was as simple as that; I spent three hours typing "SCR" for "SRC" (while fiddling interminably with the photobucket address, reading and re-reading the FAQs, etc.) and didn't notice my mistake even while checking against a half-dozen HTML tutorial web pages. What I really needed was a fresh pair of eyes, and not to be working on this for most of the night.

Thanks, Revie!

Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 5:28pm

Post #7 of 10 (553 views)
Shortcut
Indeed yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Believe me I read and re-read the FAQ, and in fact I was using HTML, because in addition to the very good FAQ material, the edit profile page itself plainly stated that I could use both HTML and Markup in my footer. As indicated in my question, I was showing my attempted both in Markup, which gave me the image but doesn't include an option for aligning text next to a picture, and HTML, which was aligning fine but not giving me the image...

because as Revie noted I had a typo in my code. Ugh.

Thanks, Altaira!

In Reply To
See 2.10 of the FAQ:
Can I use more HTML code than is available in the Advanced Editor or via Markup?
Yes. Click on the...

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 5:31pm

Post #8 of 10 (567 views)
Shortcut
Not true. [In reply to] Can't Post

As can be seen by my finally corrected footer, which uses HTML and angle brackets.

Though I think you have to select the option of HTML in the edit profile page to use it in your posts.

Thanks, drogo (drogo).

In Reply To
It's either image or img in tags with square brackets:

Revie
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 5:41pm

Post #9 of 10 (550 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing, NE. Forest for the trees, you know? Glad to help.Smile

FKA: Arevanye

Dymer's Dream: A Graphics Journal

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 5:51pm

Post #10 of 10 (586 views)
Shortcut
Well... sorta true. [In reply to] Can't Post

As noted in Reera's thread, it turns out that HTML works in my footer, but not in my posts, no matter what profile setting I select. Sorry to have doubted you, d(d).

In Reply To
As can be seen by my finally corrected footer, which uses HTML and angle brackets.
Though I think you have to select the option of HTML in the edit profile page...

In Reply To

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.