Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FOTR's Cinematic Magic, #fellowshipbrownie

jlj93byu
Bree

Aug 7 2017, 4:19am

Post #1 of 4 (1427 views)
Shortcut
FOTR's Cinematic Magic, #fellowshipbrownie Can't Post

While watching FOTR tonight unexpectedly, I couldn't help but ponder how its allure and awe and wonder haven't faded after so many years. It's power to move and inspire and excite me is just as it was the first time i saw it in February 2002.

Well, being in a good and slightly comical mood, I thought that FOTR is to movies what meth is to brownies. There's a lot of brownies out there, but only one will make you high. Well, there's a lot of movies out there, but only one is as addicting as FOTR. Every time I watch it, it gets me "high" in a good, non-illegal-drug-way (for the record, I have never had a meth brownie!). Anyways, my wife suggested I start the hashtag #fellowshipbrownie.

But humor aside, I am just amazed at how "Fellowship of the Ring" is so dramatically set apart from all other films. It has an enchanting allure that I have never felt when watching any other movie. And yet it doesn't diminish regardless of how many times I watch it. Every time, it excites me and moves me and inspires me. The story. The music. The characters. The visuals. Everything. I can't explain it. Its magic never fades. I love the entire trilogy, but something about FOTR is just more special and magical.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7 2017, 4:30am

Post #2 of 4 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Brownies [In reply to] Can't Post

If I really wanted a brownie in order to get high (which I don't), I would go for hash, not meth. Not that I am recommending either! For the record, I've never done so much as tried pot.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 7 2017, 4:31am)

jlj93byu
Bree

Aug 7 2017, 4:46am

Post #3 of 4 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Self Admission [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If I really wanted a brownie in order to get high (which I don't), I would go for hash, not meth. Not that I am recommending either! For the record, I've never done so much as tried pot.

Haha! For the record, I have never done any illegal or hard drugs, and yes, I survived 5 years of college!

But alas, while I cannot relate to those experiences, I CAN relate to the feeling most of us on these boards share when it comes the allure and dare I say even addicting power of Lord of the Rings, whether it's the films, the books, or other adaptations.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2017, 4:43pm

Post #4 of 4 (1110 views)
Shortcut
First love... [In reply to] Can't Post

In many ways, I feel about the whole trilogy the way you describe FotR.

And, yet, one can't deny the singular power that FotR itself has. It was the first, and probably continues to send chills down my spine in a way that's wholly unique.

There's a double edged sword aspect to the experience of these films, and FotR in particular. I've felt similar obsessiveness toward other films and television shows in the years that followed, but never have I been able to replicate that feeling of my body and soul being overwhelmed and, in the best possible way, taken prisoner. Never has there been anything else that has made my heart so glad, so overjoyed.

In truth, I don't think the feeling's been replicated, because that place in my soul is still - and, perhaps, always will be - reserved for The Lord of the Rings.

When I think of sitting in that theater on December 19, 2001, and hearing those first words out of the darkness (and the eerie majesty of Howard Shore's opening notes), I still, after all these years, feel overcome with so many emotions.

I've written at length before about how I feel LotR came along for me at just the perfect time. I became exposed to Tolkien not a year and a half before the release of FotR, at a most formative time in my youth. It's difficult to imagine myself without this great love. Without it, there would be a great hole in my heart, I think.

I've never been able to exemplify this feeling more than by recalling how I found myself awash with tears after finishing the final page of The Return of the King, for the first time, all those years back. It wasn't, as a friend of mine glibly suggested at the time, that I was sad to not have any more of the book(s) to read. It was rather something that dernwyn more accurately wrote back in 2010, the first time I described my experience:

You have discerned from afar the air of Númenor; you have passed through Lothlórien, and returned not unchanged, and a part of you will forever walk amidst the flowers of Cerin Amroth. Your heart feels a "firm foothold" in the Shire.

And you have experienced the tears that are the very wine of blessedness.

It's a feeling that returns every time I return to the opening moments of FotR in the dark of my living room, or set my headphones upon my ears to listen to those enchanting opening notes of Howard Shore's music. Or anytime I open the pages of the good Professor's book.

Or anytime I just think about Middle-earth.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Sep 18 2017, 4:45pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.