Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Puzzlewood - it inspired Tolkien, but which forest?

hatster
Rohan

Aug 6 2017, 1:20pm

Post #1 of 9 (926 views)
Shortcut
Puzzlewood - it inspired Tolkien, but which forest? Can't Post

Love these pictures, but I think the caption that mentions Tolkien has it all wrong. I see them and think Tom Bombadil. What do you think?
http://www.kuriositas.com/...inspiration-for.html

Sorry if this has been discussed many times already...I've not been inthese parts for a while

The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.

(This post was edited by hatster on Aug 6 2017, 1:27pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 6 2017, 2:02pm

Post #2 of 9 (895 views)
Shortcut
The Old Forest [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Love these pictures, but I think the caption that mentions Tolkien has it all wrong. I see them and think Tom Bombadil. What do you think?

I'm not sure how you mean 'wrong'. A caption does specifically mention the Old Forest east of Buckland, where Tom Bombadil dwelt with his Goldberry:

Tolkien was a regular visitor to the Forest of Dean and it was inevitable that he would come across Puzzlewood in all its earthy glory. You can almost picture him, walking through the wood with ideas racing through his head about Fangorn, Old Forest, Mirkwood and Lothlórien.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

hatster
Rohan

Aug 6 2017, 2:18pm

Post #3 of 9 (887 views)
Shortcut
Crap! Read it too fast [In reply to] Can't Post

Lol you are quite right.. I saw the mentions of entwood and the elvin woods but somehow missed the old forest reference. I keep looking for signs of barrow wights in the photos

The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 6 2017, 8:06pm

Post #4 of 9 (857 views)
Shortcut
Hatster! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you around these parts again. Don't be a stranger!

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

squire
Half-elven

Aug 6 2017, 8:41pm

Post #5 of 9 (858 views)
Shortcut
"Yes, it is even in a shire!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I can believe that Tolkien, in his lifetime, may have visited this place (he did do archaeological consulting in the 1920s for an excavation at nearby Lydney Park), I'm not convinced this website has all its ducks lined up, Tolkien-wise.

Duh, it's even in a shire. Everything in England is in a shire.

Lothlorien and Fangorn are written as complete opposites in their emotional and physical aspects as woods. One forest is unlikely to have "inspired" both of them. Mirkwood is specifically said not to be like Fangorn, as well. Tolkien has recorded his love of trees and forests dating from his childhood in the north of England, long before he could have seen this landscape. Also, both Mirkwood and Lorien draw as much from earlier 'rough drafts' of mystery woods in The Silmarillion, as they do from any direct experience.

But God forbid this website should mention the Sil, since most normal Tolkien fans have never read that book or seen the film. As usual, in the press, and the publicity sites like this one for dozens of Tolkien-themed locations around the UK, it's nothing but "Bilbo, Frodo, and Gandalf" mixed with "Tolkien is said/thought/known to have loved/visited/frequented this place."

The place itself is actually quite wonderful in its own right. I love that the old owner put down flagged walkways that now seem as ancient and overgrown as the reputed pre-Roman mines. From the photos, I'd give Puzzlewood nominal points for, maybe, inspiring Fangorn, if not the Old Forest.

It's great to see you back, hatster! Hope you'll keep dropping by with your unique insights and contributions.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 7 2017, 1:56am

Post #6 of 9 (823 views)
Shortcut
*gasp!---flying tackle hug* HEY! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy to see you... and bearing gifts! FANTASTIC! I can see why the Good Professor would be moved. I could get lost there and never try to get out ;)

I hope these days find you having loads of fun and enjoying good health :D

HUGS!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2017, 4:23pm

Post #7 of 9 (741 views)
Shortcut
sorry to be a wet blanket [In reply to] Can't Post

- but this is the 'it is thought' school of Tolkien biography which local tourist agencies go in for. There's no evidence that Tolkien was 'a regular visitor' to the Forest of Dean.

There's no evidence to show that he visited the archaeological dig at Lydney Park, either - though there is some documented evidence that he most probably did not; the archaeologists who carried out the dig do not include him in the list of people who helped out on site. Tolkien did write a piece on the name Nodens, but there was no need for his to visit the actual site for that.

(This post was edited by geordie on Aug 8 2017, 4:24pm)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 8 2017, 5:27pm

Post #8 of 9 (727 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I wondered about that [In reply to] Can't Post

It had occurred to me that writing the Nodens paper did not require a site visit. On the other hand a single visit out of courtesy or curiosity would not rate a mention as co-worker in the published paper.

Without buying into the 'regular visitor' stuff, I would be curious if there is any way to verify or deny even a single Tolkien visit to the Forest of Dean in the first half of his life, before writing the LotR. Was it a popular tourism spot in the 1910s-30s? Did Tolkien travel the UK for academic work or vacations and get down to that district? (I would at least try consulting the fabulous Hammond & Scull Chronology, but just now I don't have the time!)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 8 2017, 5:37pm

Post #9 of 9 (719 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure it inspired Tolkien when he wrote Star Wars. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.