The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
LOTR Caption Contest CLVIII

StingingFly
Lorien

Aug 4 2017, 6:44pm

Post #1 of 10 (3636 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Caption Contest CLVIII Can't Post

Thank you to Darkstone for the nomination, now it's off to Orthanc for our next installment of the LOTR Caption Contest.

What is going on here?

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 4 2017, 6:55pm

Post #2 of 10 (3597 views)
Shortcut
"Is...is that the latest 'Ladies of the Valar' swimsuit calendar?" / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4 2017, 9:15pm

Post #3 of 10 (3594 views)
Shortcut
Saruman realises too late [In reply to] Can't Post

that the mirror-sheen floor provides unfortunate up-robe reflections.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 4 2017, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 10 (3587 views)
Shortcut
GANDALF: "I can never remember the way to your lavatory, Curry*!" [In reply to] Can't Post

* For Curumo, Saruman's name in Valinor. It also works for the Sindarin form Curunír.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 4 2017, 9:35pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 5 2017, 12:00am

Post #5 of 10 (3564 views)
Shortcut
S: Hurry back and don't forget to tell them "no cheese" on my Quarterpounder! // [In reply to] Can't Post

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 7 2017, 8:31pm

Post #6 of 10 (3397 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf: "Either you've gone totally emo, or I've had too much pipeweed." // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alveric
Lorien

Aug 8 2017, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 10 (3318 views)
Shortcut
You're not fooling anyone, Dumbledore! [In reply to] Can't Post

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 9 2017, 12:20am

Post #8 of 10 (3308 views)
Shortcut
What's worse: not remembering why you came into the room, or not being allowed to leave?/ [In reply to] Can't Post

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

StingingFly
Lorien

Aug 11 2017, 1:55pm

Post #9 of 10 (3173 views)
Shortcut
The winner by split decision! [In reply to] Can't Post

A difficult judging process ends in a split decision victory for OS.

I very much enjoyed reading the responses, which were both clever and added to the Saruman-Gandalf dynamic, which is one of my favorite aspects of LOTR.

Adding the footnote for clarity was quite thoughtful...lead on.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 11 2017, 2:10pm

Post #10 of 10 (3167 views)
Shortcut
Ack! The pressure! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the win! But now I have to find a pic. Tongue

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.