Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Will we see PJ making any more Middle Earth movies?

emre43
Lorien

Jul 29 2017, 8:52pm

Post #1 of 19 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Will we see PJ making any more Middle Earth movies? Can't Post

He has material in the Appendices of LOTR, such as the story of Scatha the Worm, Eorl, Battle f the Greenfields, etc.

I never killed a man who didn't need killing
- Clay Allison

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29 2017, 9:35pm

Post #2 of 19 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, maybe not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that the odds of Jackson directing any more Middle-earth movies are slim; there might be a better chance that he might be involved as a producer and/or writer. There does not seem to be any movement at present on attempting any more such films.

Much of the material you cite might be too thin to adapt as one or more movies, though there is some potential in other tales in the Appendices. We have the "Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" to draw from; the battles in Lórien, Mirkwood and Dale during the War of the Ring; the Fall of Arthedain (culminating in the Fall of Angmar); and so on. However, some of the most interesting material about the Second Age is found in The Silmarillion and is therefore unavailable to filmmakers at this time.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

QuiteShocked
The Shire

Jul 29 2017, 10:29pm

Post #3 of 19 (1482 views)
Shortcut
I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

his Hobbit really turned out horrible.

emre43
Lorien

Jul 29 2017, 10:33pm

Post #4 of 19 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Got to admit [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree.

I never killed a man who didn't need killing
- Clay Allison

squire
Half-elven

Jul 29 2017, 11:37pm

Post #5 of 19 (1468 views)
Shortcut
Smile when you say "too thin to adapt as one or more movies", pardner... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the standard of what an "adaptation" is that's been stretched kind of thin lately, as far as I can see.

But I agree that Jackson himself seems unlikely to want to direct any such films.

I remain interested in why Hollywood thinks there's legs in a Tolkien biopic. And whether such a biopic can try to show, as imagined scenes in the future writer's head, certain vignettes from a certain, um, book. Or, knowing their audience, will they reach forward to other scenes, from LotR and The Hobbit, that also seem to draw some of their inspiration from Tolkien's Great War experiences?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

wizzardly
Rohan

Jul 30 2017, 1:24pm

Post #6 of 19 (1419 views)
Shortcut
I seriously doubt it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankfully. Even though his Hobbit did end up making lots of money, which I attribute mostly to the success of the former trilogy, it is obvious to me that he is no longer interested in Middle-earth. I believe he used the Hobbit firstly as a way to show off and try to sell his super high frame rate technology that turned out to be a total and complete flop. Even his biggest supporters weren't with him on that one. And secondly, an easy cash grab. No matter how bad it turned out, it was almost guaranteed to make a ton of money, which it did. No, I believe PJ will be focusing his attention on other projects more suitable to his particular talents.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2017, 2:06pm

Post #7 of 19 (1406 views)
Shortcut
I would say it's very possible... according to Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

I don’t see anything being done with stories in The Silmarillion; but those LotR Appendices are ripe with possibilities, imho.

Based on what happened as Jackson fought for and approached the filming of The Hobbit, I believe Middle-earth is in his heart. For years, he went through so much to clear the legal, film company, and logistical hurdles to "Make The Hobbit Happen." Then he tried to pass the baton to Guillermo del Toro to direct The Hobbit films when fate stepped in and Jackson ended up doing them himself.

Whether he directs future Middle-earth films himself or his people do (possibly Andy Serkis or others involved with past projects), I don't think Peter Jackson is done with Tolkien's works. According to this December 16, 2014 Variety article: Peter Jackson on the End of His Middle Earth Odyssey... he's not ruling it out.

“If I had to start tomorrow, I would say no, because I definitely would appreciate a break to clear my head and get my little New Zealand stories done, which is where my passion and my heart is heading now,” the director says. “But ask me in two or three years, and I’d probably say yes. It would be hard to see another filmmaker go into this world, because I certainly have an emotional ownership of it.”

I am counting on this... that Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens' belief in Tolkien's world keeps that flame alive. Who knows... working with their elders, maybe younglings Billy and Katie Jackson will come into their own and surprise us all.
Never say never :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 31 2017, 1:58pm

Post #8 of 19 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see him wanting to remake LOTR with more money or The Hobbit with more time at some point in the future.

As for making movies out of trivia, one only need to look at the success of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016) to realize you could probably make a multi-billion dollar franchise out of just the words "the crowns of seven kings, and the rods of the Five Wizards" as long as you put the name "JRR Tolkien" in the title.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jul 31 2017, 2:04pm)

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Aug 23 2017, 10:02pm

Post #9 of 19 (935 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps they should change personnel. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Christopher Tolkien would actually allow an adaptation with his overwatch.

I always follow my job through.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 23 2017, 11:10pm

Post #10 of 19 (931 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Perhaps they should change personnel. And Christopher Tolkien would actually allow an adaptation with his overwatch.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't see Christopher Tolkien having a change of heart. The best bets for the immediate future are remakes or spin-offs deriving from The Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings.

Then there are those who do not wish for any more Middle-earth movies or television series adaptations.

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Aug 24 2017, 12:16am

Post #11 of 19 (924 views)
Shortcut
And I'm saying he's making a mistake. [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Half-elven

Aug 24 2017, 2:35am

Post #12 of 19 (914 views)
Shortcut
At 92 years of age, he can afford to make a mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe he has arranged for a legal trust to continue his legacy of protecting his father's works from further commercialization, after his passing. The trustees will not be in a position to change the Estate's policy, as the policy itself will be the thing they are entrusted to continue.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 24 2017, 3:38am

Post #13 of 19 (900 views)
Shortcut
Potential Changes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I believe he has arranged for a legal trust to continue his legacy of protecting his father's works from further commercialization, after his passing. The trustees will not be in a position to change the Estate's policy, as the policy itself will be the thing they are entrusted to continue.

If Christopher Tolkien is the sole literary executor for the remaining literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien, does that mean that, after he passes, the rights to those works are fully controlled by the legal trust he set up and will not be under the control of the remaining executors of the Estate proper?

cats16
Valinor

Aug 24 2017, 3:58am

Post #14 of 19 (896 views)
Shortcut
As a side note [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher being a copyright holder of the subsequent works adds a layer of protection to the rights of those works. Rather than their copyright expiration dates being 70 years after his father's death, those rights would have a lifespan of 70 years after Christopher's death.

In other words, they'd have to sell the rights to a studio, because I don't see many of us being alive to see the day that the Silm falls into public domain!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 24 2017, 4:11am

Post #15 of 19 (894 views)
Shortcut
Then there's Mickey Mouse [In reply to] Can't Post

https://artlawjournal.com/...nging-copyright-law/

That 70 year expiration date is probably going to be extended if Disney has anything to say about it.

Queen Beruthiel, Queen Beruthiel, there's no one like Queen Beruthiel,
She's broken every Gondor law, she breaks the law of Earendil.
Her powers of feline-ation would make Aiwendil stare,
And when you reach the scene of crime - Queen Beruthiel's not there!
You may seek her in the Hallows, you may search throughout the square –
But I tell you once and once again, Queen Beruthiel's not there!

- Old Tollers' Book of Fat Cats on the Mat

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Aug 25 2017, 6:39pm

Post #16 of 19 (815 views)
Shortcut
I'm not saying he should give up the rights, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm suggesting that the Tolkien estate approves whatever changes are made by a production team/screenwriters.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 25 2017, 7:00pm

Post #17 of 19 (808 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien and the Public Domain [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Christopher being a copyright holder of the subsequent works adds a layer of protection to the rights of those works. Rather than their copyright expiration dates being 70 years after his father's death, those rights would have a lifespan of 70 years after Christopher's death.

In other words, they'd have to sell the rights to a studio, because I don't see many of us being alive to see the day that the Silm falls into public domain!

Yes, though that still leaves a number of previously published works that will enter public domain earlier. There are The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, of course, but also:
- "Leaf by Niggle" (1945)
- "The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun" (1945)
- "Farmer Giles of Ham" (1949)
- The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son (1953)
- The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (1962)
- Tree and Leaf (1964)
- The Road Goes Ever On (with Donald Swann; 1967)
- "Smith of Wootton Major" (1967)
- Bilbo's Last Song (published posthumously; 1974)

And there are various works of poetry, academic works, etc. I don't see a lot of fodder for movies in the above list, though I suppose that The Adventures of Tom Bombadil could be turned into a Fantasia-style anthology film.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 25 2017, 7:10pm)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 25 2017, 8:30pm

Post #18 of 19 (789 views)
Shortcut
'Leaf by Niggle' would be (could be) a wonderful movie [In reply to] Can't Post

It begs to be made as a retro-European style art film, to evoke the period it was written in. Its theme is large, and there is enough incident and character to expand into a feature without losing the message and the style.

I admit we're not talking blockbuster scale summer movie, to be sure. And of course it's not set in Middle-earth, but rather a kind of mock-Owellian alternate postwar England.

I often wish the New Line films had not turned "Tolkien = Big Blasting Epic FILM TRILOGY" into a seemingly immutable rule of fan and studio perceptions about this writer's quirky and smaller-scale works of art.

squire online:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 25 2017, 10:34pm

Post #19 of 19 (777 views)
Shortcut
Smaller films. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It begs to be made as a retro-European style art film, to evoke the period it was written in. Its theme is large, and there is enough incident and character to expand into a feature without losing the message and the style.

Sure, I'll give you that one. Similarly, I could see Farmer Giles of Ham as a satirical farce. And Smith of Wootton Major could be a lovely family film.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.