The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 5:12am

Post #1 of 14 (2451 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! Can't Post

OMG! I've been lost in the Goblin Tunnels for WEEKS! Well.... that's how it felt ;) I'm sorry for going AWOL, but these past few weeks buried me! But let's lace up our walking shoes and get this show on the Road!

How have you all been coming along? Are you happy with your progress? HAVING FUN!?! That's the most important thing :)

During this time, I've driven 4,000 between Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Baltimore. How I WISH vehicular mileage counted... but alas ;) Also, I had a flooded basement twice in one week from heavy downpours that left my county officially declared a disaster area from the damage to homes, business, destroyed roads, etc. I've lived in my home for 27 years and only had one other time water came into the basement about 25 years ago when a winter snowmelt couldn't be absorbed into the ground.

Miles covered from 6/22 to 7/20: 190 miles
Cumulated 592 miles of the 789 miles in the walk from Isengard to Minas Tirith with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas.

The Hunters and I are still speeding along with the Dead towards the River Anduin and then on to Minas Tirith. At least, that's the plan ;)

TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note
FYI - How I track my mileage

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2017, 11:14am

Post #2 of 14 (2351 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - July 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

I hope you have had a great week :) Summer here in the US is a great time to gather some miles out-of-doors. How have you been faring on your journeys? Remember... mileage is not based solely on walking, running, etc. Following the charts found in the resources below, you'll see there are OOOODLES of options on how to convert many different activities.

For my part this past week, I've spent several days moving 10 yards of dirt road-grade gravel (a dump-truck load). Wheelbarrow by barrow I chipped away at this HUGE pile of dirt and stone to re-build my driveway. Now I'm moving the 10 yards of topsoil I had delivered about 6 weeks ago to fix some very bad areas of my yard. I think I will be able to bench-press my SUV Hobbity very soon!

Miles covered: 40
My Progress: Cumulated 632 miles of the 789 miles in the walk from Isengard to Minas Tirith with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas.

Aragorn and Company finally arrive at the Havens of Pelargir and 50 ships of the Haradrim of Umbar. Finally unleashing the Dead, the Haradrim flea and we take over the ships! Before setting sale for Gondor, Aragorn releases the Dead as they have fulfilled their oath. Pretty impressive! :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2017, 11:51am

Post #3 of 14 (2351 views)
Shortcut
Hear Ye, Hear Ye... a public service announcement :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It was recently announced that the practice of TORn recurring posts (i.e. TIME, Walk to Rivendell, Fiesta Friday) should be kept in a bundle until the thread(s) drop off the active page into page 2. It was recently decided that it was time for this practice to be revised: Recurring threads: new Board rules announcement.

Following this AWESOME revision, I would normally start posting Walk to Rivendell as a new thread every week. However... for the time being, I will continue to gather these weekly posts until we have more activity and start taking up space ;) THEN we will post each week's Walk to Rivendell in a new thread (maybe starting very soon!)

THANKS!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 27 2017, 11:53am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 1 2017, 1:42pm

Post #4 of 14 (2234 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, you've been busy! So have I, though mainly indoors, reading and writing. Weather's been truly lousy this summer, but fortunately not as extreme as yours. Still, I've managed to rake up some quite impressive numbers: 377 miles since I last posted an update on June 22. This takes my total up to 8779 miles.

In Middle-earth, I continue my journey home with Bilbo and Gandalf. We've just crossed the Last Bridge and have set our course toward Weathertop now.

Happy walking!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 2 2017, 1:21am

Post #5 of 14 (2217 views)
Shortcut
Summer Sizzling! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Indoor, Outdoor, Alien Space Flight... it all works! TALLY HO! :D

Well Done, BlackFox!!!! And great luck and satisfaction on your writing :) Lousy weather can be a very GOOD thing!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2017, 11:52am

Post #6 of 14 (2179 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope everyone is having a great week and enjoying your journeys. Here in mid-Michigan, we've passed the half-way point of Summer. Notably the sunrise is happening later and the evening is arriving way too fast in these shortening days as we see the Summer Solstice fade in the distance. But, thankfully, the fireflies are still very busy out in my yard giving it a fairy-like fascination :)

This week I've been landscaping my yard with a 10-yard (measurement) dump truck load of topsoil.

What have you been up to, and how are you doing?

For those of you lurking in the shadows who are tempted to join our Walk, PLEASE give it a try :) Don't be daunted by the mileage or progress of your Fellow Walkers. There is no comparison between us in how many miles we accumulate or how we reach them. We're all great achievers in our own personal Quests. The only purpose of this Walk is to inspire us to have fun moving/improving and to explore Middle-earth with those who dwell in it... Hobbits, Wizards, Elves, Men, and so many more. Their journeys are appreciated in a whole new way when you go through their adventures with them.

If you'd like some help keeping track of your progress in the Walk to Rivendell Charts, just PM me and I'll be happy to quietly figure out where you are and help you keep track as you move along :) Or take a look at the resources at the end of this post. I give you a step-by-step of how I like to keep track of my progress. The hardest part of using the Charts is to decide which one to start with!

Miles covered: 47
My Progress: Cumulated 679 miles of the 789 miles in the walk from Isengard
We are on the River Anduin passing between the fields of Lebennin on the west and South Ithilien on east. Legolas senses the change in the wind.

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 3 2017, 11:55am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 3 2017, 7:50pm

Post #7 of 14 (2165 views)
Shortcut
It's been a whopping three days since my last update... [In reply to] Can't Post

... during which I've added another 15 miles to my total. In Middle-earth, I'm still moving toward Weathertop with Bilbo and Gandalf. The going is slower due to all the gold and silver the ponies are carrying! Laugh

And, yes, to all the lurkers (we know you're there!), do join in! You won't regret it.

Happy walking, everyone! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2017, 1:00am

Post #8 of 14 (2128 views)
Shortcut
I thought I saw a cloud of dust on the Road! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic job! ZOOOOOMMMMMMM!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 10 2017, 7:12pm

Post #9 of 14 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - August 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers... and to those who are curious about what this is all about ;) I hope you've had a great week and are enjoying your journey :)

I've been putting some long-needed work into my poor yard. It seems to be an endless project... but it's so gratifying when each step is completed. Lots of digging, barrowing, pruning and weed-pulling.

How are you doing? Give us a story as we sit a spell :)

8/10/17 43
My Progress: 43 miles -- Cumulated 722 miles of the 789 miles in the journey from Isengard to Minas Tirith via the Paths of the Dead.
Continuing upriver... sea-crafty men sense wind from the sea as Aragorn, Legolas and I sail on the River Anduin on our way to Gondor and the Pelennor Fields!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 10 2017, 7:51pm

Post #10 of 14 (2075 views)
Shortcut
Hey-ho! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've picked up the pace and added another week's worth of miles to my total by doing the usual summer activies like walking, biking, cleaning and mowing the lawn (which we have too much, ugh!).

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 84
Cumulative miles: 8878

In Middle-earth, I'm now approaching Weathertop on my journey home with Bilbo and Gandalf.

Happy walking!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 11 2017, 11:15am

Post #11 of 14 (2042 views)
Shortcut
Gotta love Summer :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The days really go by fast when we're trying to get so much done. BUT it's better than gathering mileage by shoveling snow! :D

I love how Weathertop has become a marker for the progress of coming home... or starting out ;) Sorta like when I drive from Mid-Michigan to Baltimore, Maryland to see my family. Pittsburgh, PA is the halfway marker for me when I'm going there and back again ;)

WELL DONE BlackFox! *high five* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2017, 6:29pm

Post #12 of 14 (1821 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - August 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

I hope you've had a great week and are having fun racking up the miles. I'd love to hear of the different creative ways you're making your miles. The easier it fits into your daily routines, the better... and makes it more fun :D

Me... I'm still doing yardwork (weeding, grass-seeding w/stray cover, trimming bushes) and re-arranging the basement after the flooding a few weeks ago. AND I actually get some walks in there, too... like the 10+ miles around town while my hobbity (SUV) got some engine work done. Can't complain when its about to hit 200,000 miles! GOOD OL' HOBBITY :D More work on the mighty beast next week.

Miles covered: 37
My Progress: Cumulated 759 miles completing the 789 miles walk from Isengard
Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, a boat load of freed warriors and I are on the river where it curves west toward Minas Tirith past the lands of Lossarnach. We're on our way to some very busy fields to rough and tumble.

Remember... if you'd like a collaborator on figuring out your mileage and where you are on your Quest, just pm me ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 17 2017, 6:31pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 17 2017, 8:26pm

Post #13 of 14 (1806 views)
Shortcut
I'm loving the licence plate! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so you! Heart

It was a slower week for me, with only the usual lawn mowing miles added to the even more usual walking miles. I'm now less than a week away from my holiday, yay! We'll see whether it means more miles for the coming weeks or less, I haven't made any plans yet.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 45
Cumulative miles: 8923

In Middle-earth, I'm past Weathertop now and heading toward the Midgewater Marshes. I think we'll take the longer road and go round it this time. Laugh

Happy walking! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18 2017, 12:36pm

Post #14 of 14 (1709 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost to holiday! BRILLIANT! Well... you could always find a nice marsh and go neeker-breeker hunting!
Yeah... HOBBITY helps me ESCAPE in my FORD! About as close as I could get within RL constrictions ;)

Have a GREAT holiday!!! Even if you just hide-out at home and do what you want when and if you want! Its called FREEDOM! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.