X-Men’s Nicholas Hoult May Play Young JRR Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 26 2017, 3:31am

Post #1 of 14 (5645 views)
Shortcut
X-Men’s Nicholas Hoult May Play Young JRR Tolkien Can't Post

Posted at Comic Book Resources:

X-Men: Apocalypse star Nicholas Hoult is in talks to star as the Lord of the Rings creator in a biopic exploring the author's formative years.

Read the article here: http://www.cbr.com/...t-young-jrr-tolkien/.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

squire
Half-elven

Jul 26 2017, 12:09pm

Post #2 of 14 (5572 views)
Shortcut
Here's the link to the original story from Monday. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dome Karukoski To Helm J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic

Oddly I heard about this on Facebook (the British Tolkien Society's page) a couple of days ago. It seems sometimes as if TORn is no longer at the cutting edge of how Tolkien appears in the mass media!

I'll repost my comment from that page, which also refers to another Tolkien biopic in the works that is evidently set in the same period:

I wonder if both proposed biopics are focusing on the formative years because that guarantees a little action in the form of WW I, and some youthful romance. The alternative, of course, is depicting the inner life of a prolix middle-aged Oxford philologist writing fantasy late at night in his attic and bickering with his wife and other high-IQ dons.

But I think the latter scenario is more about The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit), which much more of the world audience knows something about. And I remember 'Dreamchild' (1985, about a grown-up Alice remembering Charles Dodgson and Wonderland) successfully negotiating that kind of setting, with amazing flashbacks and dream sequences of the inner fictional world.

But, of course, to make the latter kind of film would then require the Tolkien Estate to release the rights to depict scenes from the great epic and its predecessor, and I don't suppose they feel like risking that! - squire on FB "The Tolkien Society", 7/25.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 26 2017, 1:16pm

Post #3 of 14 (5567 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth: The Other Tolkien Biopic [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know whether or not that other Tolkien biopic is still in development. When was the last that you read anything about it? According to the Deadline article from last November, the film Middle Earth is described as follows:

Story follows Tolkien’s early life and love affair with Edith Bratt, whom he later married. The couple lived happily in Oxford, surrounded by friends, but when war broke out in 1914 Tolkien embarked on four years of battle and hardship, an experience that influenced his Middle Earth stories.

James Strong (Broadchurch; Downton Abbey) is signed to direct from a script by Angus Fletcher "who gathered materials on Tolkien through six years of archival research and personal interviews."

Deadline Article: http://deadline.com/...el-lynne-1201849947/

So, yes, it looks like both movies might cover much of the same ground.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 26 2017, 1:17pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jul 26 2017, 7:05pm

Post #4 of 14 (5546 views)
Shortcut
What news from the north? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, a web search certainly brings us nothing about "Middle Earth" since the director was tagged last November. The articles do warn that the project needs to be "bought" by someone, and that the producers were going to market it at the Berlin Film Festival now that they had a writer and a director.

The Berlin Film Festival was in February 2017. But does the lack of a news release that Google can find mean there were no buyers?
Or is this kind of news hit or miss, depending on a slow news day and a copy editor for whom "Tolkien" rings a bell?

I also wonder if this "new" or second biopic isn't so competitively pitched - same subject, same period, with just an apparent emphasis on the TCBS rather than on the war itself - that there may be some backroom deals going on to combine the two projects, or buy one out.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 26 2017, 9:05pm

Post #5 of 14 (5531 views)
Shortcut
IMDb [In reply to] Can't Post

James Strong’s Middle Earth:

http://www.imdb.com/...?ref_=ttspec_spec_tt

Dome Karukoski’s A Light in the Darkness:

http://www.imdb.com/...2/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

"You have my sword."

"And my bow."

"And my axe."

"And my giant flying eagles."

squire
Half-elven

Jul 26 2017, 9:33pm

Post #6 of 14 (5523 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose we can chalk it up to enthusiastic publicists that both films, set in Tolkien's youth in the World War I era, are said in the IMDB listings to present the events that "led him to write The Hobbti and The Lord of the Rings".

Such casual errors in no way suggest that the producers intend any real violence to the well-documented timeline of Tolkien's literary creations.

[TOLKIEN crawls out of dug-out's round entrance and finds himself face to foot with a short soldier trying to clean and dry his bare feet, which are quite hairy.]

CUT TO:

[TOLKIEN recovering in military hospital, in bed, writing in a small notebook.]

[Voice-over] TOLKIEN: In a hole in the ground lived a hobbit...

squire online:

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 30 2017, 5:35pm

Post #7 of 14 (5389 views)
Shortcut
Could be hit or miss [In reply to] Can't Post

For "Middle Earth," my guess is that (assuming they indeed went to Berlin) Protagonist pre-sold international rights against the budget of the film. That would allow them to produce the film and bring it to festivals without a distributor. It would make sense if there weren't news articles about that, as international pre-sales aren't a very glitzy thing to report on and can be quite complex. But it gets you the money you need (in an ideal world) to make it. Still though, you'd have to worry about things like domestic distribution afterwards, and Shaye and Lynne's new company likely won't get a Fox Searchlight without stellar festival reviews.

For "Tolkien," you've got Chernin and Fox Searchlight backing it, which means it has a much easier road ahead. There are continually instances of competing projects about similar subjects; a buyout would be very unnecessary, as "Middle Earth" has no distribution, and we have no idea if it actually does have a financially clear road to a greenlight. Searchlight will push forward (casting announcements are indicative of this), and simply aim to make their film the only relevant Tolkien biopic through its sizable marketing arm. I expect they will have a strong awards season campaign for the lead actor and the film itself, assuming it is good. Once a lead is officially attached, things will fall into place quickly.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

wizzardly
Rohan

Jul 30 2017, 7:12pm

Post #8 of 14 (5384 views)
Shortcut
whatever... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope they have the good sense to write in a part for Legolas. And they should bring it up to todays modern standards, and have Edith surprise him and fight alongside him at the battle of the Somme.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

(This post was edited by wizzardly on Jul 30 2017, 7:26pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jul 30 2017, 7:57pm

Post #9 of 14 (5374 views)
Shortcut
No need for bogus "updating" - that actually happened [In reply to] Can't Post

Edith's unexpected visit in late November, and inadvertent help with an under-strength gun crew for a strenuous and harrowing, though not actually dangerous, afternoon, was documented by Garth in his revised "Tolkien and the Great War" (2011). She blamed her later hearing loss on the episode, but of course it recemented their love in a way that only shared battle between man and wife can. It will certainly be in the film.

squire online:

wizzardly
Rohan

Jul 30 2017, 8:14pm

Post #10 of 14 (5367 views)
Shortcut
Oh good!... [In reply to] Can't Post

This thing might just be a smash hit afterall!

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2017, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 14 (5275 views)
Shortcut
I must be out of the loop [In reply to] Can't Post

- can you tell us which page that's on? The bit about Edith and the gun?

QuiteShocked
The Shire

Jul 31 2017, 10:57pm

Post #12 of 14 (5250 views)
Shortcut
sounds legit [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be cool if they do her up in war paint like Schwarzenegger in Predator!

squire
Half-elven

Aug 1 2017, 12:17am

Post #13 of 14 (5239 views)
Shortcut
Possibly that would work [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tolkien family has always maintained that this is not her; the regimental insignia is wrong. But I doubt if the filmmakers would care about a detail like that.

squire online:

QuiteShocked
The Shire

Aug 1 2017, 12:42am

Post #14 of 14 (5232 views)
Shortcut
what this project needs [In reply to] Can't Post

is Sir Peter Jackson at the helm! He would definitley make this happen!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.