Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Gaming - Middle-earth: Shadow of War at SDCC 2017 (now with Shelob)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 22 2017, 1:30am

Post #1 of 6 (6055 views)
Shortcut
Gaming - Middle-earth: Shadow of War at SDCC 2017 (now with Shelob) Can't Post

Shelob Makes Her Devious Way To Middle-earth Shadow Of War At SDCC: https://www.bleedingcool.com/...es-new-trailer-sdcc/

The game presents a new and somewhat disturbing take on Shelob that reminds me of the Drow goddess Lolth.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War Panel At SDCC With Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, And…Kumail Nanjiani? https://www.bleedingcool.com/...th-shadow-war-panel/

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 22 2017, 1:36am)

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 24 2017, 7:43pm

Post #2 of 6 (5851 views)
Shortcut
Can we discuss this? I'm intrigued... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a couple of questions. Firstly how canon is the concept of a shape-shifting Shelob? Was Ungoliant a shape-shifter? Does Tolkien explain that much about what the spiders are?

Secondly, the look of Shelob is quite different from the one in the movie, yet Gollum looks and sounds the same. Is this game based in the same universe as the movies or not?

Crazy

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 24 2017, 8:06pm

Post #3 of 6 (5847 views)
Shortcut
Ungoliant and Shelob [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have a couple of questions. Firstly how canon is the concept of a shape-shifting Shelob? Was Ungoliant a shape-shifter? Does Tolkien explain that much about what the spiders are?

Here is how Tolkien characterized Ungoliant in The Silmarillion:

Thus unseen [Melkor] came at last to the dark region of Avanthar... There, beneath the sheer walls of the mountains and the cold dark sea...secret and unknown, Ungoliant made her abode. The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that,,,in the beginning she was one of those that [Melkor] had corrupted to his service. But she had disowned her Master, desiring to be mistress of her own lust, taking all things to herself to feed her emptiness...

In a ravine she lived, and took shape as a spider of monstrous form, weaving her black webs in a cleft of the mountains. There she sucked up all light that she could find, and spun it forth again in dark nets of strangling gloom, until no light more could come to her abode; and she was famished.

So there is an argument that could be made for Ungoliant, at least, to be able to change her form. We might attempt to extend that attribute to her demon-spider daughter, though the spiders of Mirkwood seem not to have such an ability. Shelob does seem to have enough intelligence that Gollum was able to make a deal with her, so this interpretation, while controversial, seems reasonably credible to me. Your mileage may vary. As a gamer, I can't help but be reminded of the spider-goddess Lolth from D&D's Forgotten Realms.

In Reply To
Secondly, the look of Shelob is quite different from the one in the movie, yet Gollum looks and sounds the same. Is this game based in the same universe as the movies or not?

Crazy

I don't think that this game and the previous Shadow of Mordor represent a direct continuation of the Peter Jackson films. They do seem to take inspiration from both the books and films under the terms of Middle-earth Enterprises.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 24 2017, 8:21pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29 2017, 7:23pm

Post #4 of 6 (5662 views)
Shortcut
Kumail Nanjiani As The Agonizer In The Latest Shadow Of War Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle-earth: Shadow of War gets a comedy-relief Orc-character voiced by actor Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick; Silicon Valley.

Article at Bleeding Cool: https://www.bleedingcool.com/...agonizer-shadow-war/

Trailer at YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi7jt-RvbBM

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 8 2017, 1:19am

Post #5 of 6 (5358 views)
Shortcut
Shadow Of War Will Include A Ranked Online PVP Mode [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted at Bleeding Cool:

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is finally learning some lessons from contemporary games, and we are pretty happy to hear this time around. Last week, we found out that the game will feature loot box microtransactions, which wasn’t exactly positive. But today we’ve learned that the game has a ranked online mode like just about every other contemporary AAA release.

The new mode, called Social Conquest, will require players to chose one of their captured Nemesis Fortresses, outfit it with proper defenses, appoint an orc Overlord and accompanying captains, and then the game makes it available for attack by other players. This new mode has been compared to Metal Gear Solid 5‘s Forward Operating Base missions, for obvious reasons. Its basically an online tower defense mini-game within a game, much like the FOB missions.

Full Article: https://www.bleedingcool.com/...ked-online-pvp-mode/

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 16 2017, 12:54am

Post #6 of 6 (5209 views)
Shortcut
The Terror Tribe Debut In New ‘Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War’ Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted at Bleeding Cool:

Well, that’s nice and terrifying. Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War debuted a brand new trailer this morning showing off a new element to the game: The Terror Tribe. These horrible creatures occupy a fort that’s basically covered int he blood and entrails of the enemies of Sauron, with a look and feel about them that matches a Mad Max film. They appear to be unafraid to take on and kill anything, which by the trailer below, even looks to be themselves. Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War is due out on October 10.

Article with trailer: https://www.bleedingcool.com/...-shadow-war-trailer/.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 16 2017, 12:54am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.