The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What are you Watching? attending? July 19th

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2017, 8:25am

Post #1 of 16 (1670 views)
Shortcut
What are you Watching? attending? July 19th Can't Post

If it's Wednesday it must be Tennessee? On cross country road trip so not completely certain where I am but I do know I've seen a lot of interstate 40.

Anyway-- saw and commented on War for Planet of Apes elsewhere -- basically meh.

Visited the Oklahoma City bombing memorial-- just the grounds not the museum-- and the next day the Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis. Somber reminders of the past.

Then a more uplifting view into the past the Rumania Auditirium in Nashville Home to the Grand Ole Opry for many years though the building has an even deeper past.

Trips to Gatlinburg ( tourist trap extraordinaire that bills itself as Gaye way to the Smokies) a drive through the Smokies ( which for this long time Ca resident are breathtakingly green and leafy) and a stop at the Cherokee Museum in Cherokee with lunch in the island park ( complete with bamboo forest and a wadeable creek). Another day was Davy Crockett"a family tavern where a really dedicated curator gave a in depth personal tour of this tiny icee of American history. Then A quick visit of Andrew Johnsons tailor shop. Andrew Johnson became president after Lincoln"s death was almost impeached and fought with Co Fred's constantly.

Get the idea we're a history loving family? So what have y'all been doing?

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2017, 9:53am

Post #2 of 16 (1608 views)
Shortcut
I saw Spider-man: Homecoming in the weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'm outside the target demographic - but it was much better than the first two Toby McGuire versions, which i thought were awful. Even so, there's something about Spider-man's story just doesn't do it for me.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 19 2017, 8:14pm

Post #3 of 16 (1592 views)
Shortcut
I live in OKC [In reply to] Can't Post

and work just a few blocks from the Memorial. I've never been to the museum, either, but the grounds are very pretty.

As I've mentioned before, I'm watching "Preacher" with Graham McTavish as the "Saint of Killers." Rather gory show, but the fight scenes are well-choreographed and I've become a BIG fan of Ruth Negga. Watched a movie called "Get Out" from Netflix - I'd give it at least an 8.5 out of 10, maybe more. Very tense thriller, kind of reminded me of the old "Stepford Wives" movie (not the stupid remake with Nicole Kidman). It was so good that I was able to overlook a blind man making bids at a silent auction, LOL!

Hoping my hubby and I make it to "Dunkirk" this weekend. Also hoping to go kayaking. Next time you're in OKC, check out the Boathouse district!

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 19 2017, 8:16pm

Post #4 of 16 (1587 views)
Shortcut
the only reason I'd watch "Spiderman" [In reply to] Can't Post

would be for Michael Keaton's portrayal of the Vulture. I've read good things, and hope he gets past the Marvel villain problem - one dimensional character whose only purpose is to get beaten by the hero. What did you think of him?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2017, 9:25pm

Post #5 of 16 (1579 views)
Shortcut
He adds some gritty realism to the movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

You get the usual Keaton mannerisms but his villain is down-to-earth and believable. I think many people will relate to his character of a hard-working man who's trying to make a (dishonest) living after feeling done-over by the elite.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 20 2017, 5:40am

Post #6 of 16 (1542 views)
Shortcut
War for the Planet of the Apes [In reply to] Can't Post

This is Andy Serkis' movie from start to finish. IMO the best of the three films, and a good ending to the trilogy. Weta Digital did their magic as usual, but Andy is so good you forget there's anyone else on the screen. Head and shoulders above the usual sequels to blockbusters out there.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Annael
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 3:49pm

Post #7 of 16 (1500 views)
Shortcut
I AM attending quite a few live performances! [In reply to] Can't Post

love summers with their "in the park" events.

In a week I'm going to see "Day of the Dove" - there's a local theater group that every year puts on a gender-bending, in-other-ways-askew play version of an original Star Trek episode in a little park in Seattle. I live in a bit of an odd household: there's my dad, 93 years old; me, 65; and a 25-year-old college student (we need a 40-something to round us out, I sometimes think). The student is also an accomplished musician and is helping to provide the "soundtrack" for the episode, so of course we can't miss it!

The week after that is "Much Ado About Nothing" in a park within walking distance of my home. I've always gone to Shakespeare in the Park productions wherever I've lived. Boise had THE BEST in a dedicated venue right on the river, but I also enjoyed the make-the-best-with-what-you-have productions in the small rural town I lived in for the past 20 years - especially the production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" where Puck and Oberon, both gymnasts, threw themselves up into and around the trees edging the performance area as if they really could fly, and the airy spirits of "The Tempest" who made use of a jungle gym (climbing frame to you Brits) to do likewise.

Otherwise I'm watching the new Broadchurch, Face/Off, and Great British Baking Show (the Mel-Sue-Paul-Mary band's back together, yay!). Haven't been to a movie in a while but planning on seeing the new Spiderman.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 3:53pm

Post #8 of 16 (1499 views)
Shortcut
Ruth Negga [In reply to] Can't Post

was wonderful in "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D" which is where I first encountered her.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 3:54pm

Post #9 of 16 (1501 views)
Shortcut
is that a typo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gaye Way to the Smokies? I know gay tourism is a huge money-maker . . .

thanks for the giggle

-- Gaston Bachelard

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 8:01pm

Post #10 of 16 (1491 views)
Shortcut
Moana. [In reply to] Can't Post

Meaning last year's Disney animated adventure, not the famous 1920s documentary. A little silly at times, and I would have liked a few more songs, but I quite enjoyed it.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2017, 12:23am

Post #11 of 16 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Yep should be gateway// [In reply to] Can't Post

Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 22 2017, 1:29am

Post #12 of 16 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Dunkirk [In reply to] Can't Post

Very powerful and moving. I think many of us here are suckers for stories about ordinary people who rise to the occasion and show extraordinary courage just because they see a thing that needs to be done and nobody else is there to do it.

Also, lots of Spitfire footage! That's the most beautiful airplane ever built, IMO. I watched the credits to see who the pilots were, and was not surprised to read Steve Hinton's name. He is a long-renowned airshow pilot with many years experience in Spitfires, and the onscreen flying is breathtaking.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2017, 11:46pm

Post #13 of 16 (1415 views)
Shortcut
Just got back from seeing this incredible film [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I know the story fairly well, it kept me on the edge of seat nonetheless. A must-see for history buffs, especially military history, and anyone who has British ancestry. Exceptionally well done.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 23 2017, 4:22am

Post #14 of 16 (1397 views)
Shortcut
As is more and more the norm, the score in Dunkirk overwhelmed the [In reply to] Can't Post

dialogue. My wife and I both remarked that we will need Closed Captioning on should we catch it later on tv.

Love the Spitfires...beautiful aircraft.

Some people may not be a fan of the somewhat disjointed presentation. Because the flim follows several different groups and shifts frequently between them it can make for some difficulty keeping score - a lot of the soldiers look similar and the number of pilots seems more than the 3 we see in the beginning - but that is likely due to seeing things out of time sequence.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2017, 10:15am

Post #15 of 16 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Spider-Man Honecoming [In reply to] Can't Post

Ending makes you smile.

The premise was good -- that Peter would find criminals under the radar snd nobody would listen to him and there were good elements of reality. A solid B.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 24 2017, 7:22pm

Post #16 of 16 (1318 views)
Shortcut
re: Dunkirk - weeeeel, *SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me start with saying this was a very good movie, but: *SPOILERS!!!*

It wasn't "Saving Private Ryan," "The Longest Day," or even "Midway." I guess what you expect in a war film depends on the individual. I didn't see a great deal of heroism in the film, probably very realistic that most of the soldiers simply wanted to survive. I'm not saying cowardice, just saying not a lot of heroics (though there were a few). There was one scene with a group of soldiers debating whether to shoot someone because he might be a mole, and truthfully I could see that happening in real life. The movie made war look heartless, with the German planes strafing the stranded men and bombing what they KNEW were rescue ships - again, pretty realistic. But unlike SPR, you didn't really spend much time with anyone, it bounced around so much and there were so many soldiers, so I guess it wasn't as gut-wrenching when some of them didn't make it out.

As an American I wasn't familiar with the story - just heard it mentioned in a movie a few years ago, and I knew it was some kind of rescue but beyond that, nada. Naturally the movie did feature the civilian rescuers, and I felt the old man featured was probably the most "heroic" in a movie sense, along with Tom Hardy making quite the sacrifice to save as many as he could. I don't know which would have been worse between crashing his plane into the ocean, or being captured by the Germans. Neither option sounds terrific to me. I agree with another poster that the music score was probably too loud, but overall I'd give the movie a 7.5 - 8.0 out of 10. Yeah, probably liked "Wonder Woman" better, but there you are.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.