The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Trilogy Movie Reactions!

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jul 20 2017, 9:55pm

Post #1 of 18 (10065 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Trilogy Movie Reactions! Can't Post

What was the audience reaction when you saw the Hobbit trilogy in theaters?

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jul 21 2017, 1:26pm

Post #2 of 18 (9932 views)
Shortcut
Will do a more thorough post later, but for now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that some members in the audience clapped their hands after Hobbit 3 ended (that is, when the credts began to roll). I even joined them. But we were in the minority.

As for the other films, I will post later. Smile

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on Jul 21 2017, 1:27pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 22 2017, 3:01am

Post #3 of 18 (9859 views)
Shortcut
Honestly can't remember [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a pretty clear memory of seeing the extended BOTFA in theaters - and there were maybe 2 dozen people there. I'd say we were all pretty enthusiastic about it. My friend Bill thought it was great. But beyond that I can't remember.

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

wizzardly
Rohan

Jul 22 2017, 11:42pm

Post #4 of 18 (9772 views)
Shortcut
A fine night at the cinema... [In reply to] Can't Post

The audience I was part of for my screening of DoS was composed of what I would probably identify as Peter Jackson's core fan base. They seemed to delight in all of his trademark comedic inclusions as well as his unique "action to the max" re-imaginings of Tolkien's more subtle scenes. At one point, a fan who was sitting a few rows ahead of me, ripped a real juicy gasser that only further added to the excitement.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 23 2017, 2:33pm

Post #5 of 18 (9682 views)
Shortcut
Engagement with what was on screen..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sharp intake of breath - laughter - silence - at all the moments where you'd expect those reactions ...

Odd moments that spring to mind - When Gandalf made the 'good Morning' speech; when he mentioned Bullroarer Took or forgetting the names of the Blue Wizards and so on, there were people in the audience who obviously recognised those things. The chase in the goblin tunnels and the barrel chase in DOS seemed particularly popular - and Stephen Fry got a lot of laughs, as did Billy Connolly (and his look-alike). Smaug roused quite a reaction every time he appeared.

I saw each film twice in the cinema and it seemed to me that all six audiences thoroughly enjoyed the films.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 23 2017, 2:38pm

Post #6 of 18 (9680 views)
Shortcut
For one who so dislikes Peter Jackson's sense of humour, wizzardly.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... you seem surprisingly determined to introduce it here!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 23 2017, 4:02pm

Post #7 of 18 (9672 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Whizzardly is just showing his true feelings for Jackson's films.

Touching, really.

Bad touching, but still touching...

"You have my sword."

"And my bow."

"And my axe."

"And my giant flying eagles."

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jul 23 2017, 11:20pm

Post #8 of 18 (9642 views)
Shortcut
Continuing... [In reply to] Can't Post

The audience seemed a bit excited with the barrel chase scene in DoS, and sometimes when Smaug appeared. I can't remember anything from any of the 3 AUJ screenings I was in.

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on Jul 23 2017, 11:23pm)

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jul 23 2017, 11:22pm

Post #9 of 18 (9647 views)
Shortcut
Please... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't act like you can determine what and/or whom PJ's ''core fan base'' is. It makes you sound pretentious and prejudiced, and may be even against the TOS on these boards.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 24 2017, 1:02am

Post #10 of 18 (9630 views)
Shortcut
That seems a bit harsh. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read his comment in the spirit it was given - his or her opinion regarding apparent Jackson / Tolkien fans (core base) who responded to the movie. It was just his /her personal opinion.

"...composed of what I would probably identify as Peter Jackson's core fan base."

As far as reactions, a mixture of excitement from many and some who looked clueless.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 24 2017, 1:05am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2017, 2:29am

Post #11 of 18 (9627 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage was recently interviewed by Den of Geek... [In reply to] Can't Post

...here: http://www.denofgeek.com/...cean-s-8-castlevania

He had interesting comments on why he'd become a Cybersmile anti-cyberbullying ambassador:

"...And then there is this faction of people that are addicted to this negative stance to anything anyone says, they’ll comment in a negative way and you can’t control what people say on the internet, but you can control what you read and you can be responsible for what you put out and I did feel very passionately about that...

"It can be endlessly frustrating, because even if you write an interview, or an article trying to look for the positive in something, there is often somebody who comments saying ‘I hate this show', or 'I hate this film’. So why spend time being negative, when you can find something that you did like?

"...it’s interesting that people will stay in an argument with somebody and talk about how they despise the thing. You know, The Hobbit movies for example, how much they hated it yet they’ll watch every single one of them and continue to tell you how much they hated it! [laughs] I feel like that if you hate this so much, then just go and watch something else. I think there is also a need to sway people to hate it too and that’s the thing I can’t deal with."

I do believe that he echoes the sentiments of many of us here. On the Old Boards we had an "ignore" function.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 24 2017, 7:02pm

Post #12 of 18 (9523 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect that one day he's going to get fed up and delete his Twitter account - nothing brings out the trolls like Twitter. And even some of his alleged fans think it's okay to criticize his tweets (for whatever dumb reason, sometimes it's "censorship"), and then other fans will shame the first group of fans and you end up with a train wreck. Love this quote:
"...it’s interesting that people will stay in an argument with somebody and talk about how they despise the thing. You know, The Hobbit movies for example, how much they hated it yet they’ll watch every single one of them and continue to tell you how much they hated it! [laughs] I feel like that if you hate this so much, then just go and watch something else. I think there is also a need to sway people to hate it too and that’s the thing I can’t deal with."
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel sometimes.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 24 2017, 7:05pm

Post #13 of 18 (9520 views)
Shortcut
I think that's why I can't remember [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just so enthralled with what was on the screen that nothing else entered my consciousness.Cool

imin
Valinor

Jul 26 2017, 9:45pm

Post #14 of 18 (9450 views)
Shortcut
Can only remember AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I know for certain i watched AUJ and DOS in the cinema, i think i did also for BotFA (for completeness sake) but i can't be sure (think i deleted it from memory, lol). However i can remember one guy quite clearly from the first screening of AUJ.

Basically people laughed a bit where they were meant to but were otherwise quite (which is good) and as people were walking out with just low level noise, one guy behind me said something like 'well that was sh*t' i remember it as i thought it was half funny and it kinda annoyed me as well as at the time i wanted desperately to like the film and was almost tricking myself, telling myself it was a good film, obviously i couldn't get over my gut instinct of general disappointment and then over time i came to realise it isn't a good film (to me) so i think if i heard someone saying that now i would laugh and agree, but then i wouldn't go to the cinema to see something i know i don't like, lol.

Overall, people's reaction were same as for any movie really. Luckily people where I'm at don't clap or shout out loud during a film, the worst that happens is using a mobile phone or chewing loudly.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

QuiteShocked
The Shire

Jul 27 2017, 11:32pm

Post #15 of 18 (9352 views)
Shortcut
Basically my experience as well [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing I noticed that was different than when I saw LotR in theaters was that overall the audience was less engaged. More people seemed to get up during the movie and a group actually got up and left halfway through BotFa. And yes I was very dissapointed in how this turned out.

Noria
Gondor

Jul 30 2017, 12:02pm

Post #16 of 18 (9036 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember audience reactions all that well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I saw each movie five times in the theatre. Mostly I remember my own enjoyment.

But the general reaction was reaction was positive, with laughter and a little cheering and so on.

A really negative reaction would have made more of an impression on me.

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jul 31 2017, 11:58am

Post #17 of 18 (8932 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember that much from AUJ, and I saw DOS really early in the morning on its opening day so there was only probably ten people in theater so there wasn't any cheering or any big reaction. The only one that had people clapping at the end was BOFA probably because it was the last Middle Earth movie.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Aug 23 2017, 12:01pm

Post #18 of 18 (7981 views)
Shortcut
I liked it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Was always gearing up for more Tolkien. Particularly liked the tone, especially in An Unexpected Journey.

I always follow my job through.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.