Don't like any of them
View Results (62 votes)

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 12 2016, 8:36pm

Post #1 of 21 (5403 views)
Shortcut
Favorite The Hobbit film? Can't Post

Please tell me it is An Unexpeced Journey... its soundtrack, its tone, its story, its characters, its setting... wow.

Anyway what you think?

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 12 2016, 9:28pm

Post #2 of 21 (5333 views)
Shortcut
I do indeed pick "AUJ" if we only have the theatrical editions on the table [In reply to] Can't Post

With the EE's laid out, The Desolation of Smaug.

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 14 2016, 5:25pm

Post #3 of 21 (5229 views)
Shortcut
AUJ I suppose... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm not overly fond of TH trilogy, I don't love or hate any of the films (though I honestly found TBOTFA boring) but AUJ contains a greater proportion of good to bad scenes i.m.o, had a greater focus on character interaction between Thorin and Bilbo and felt closer in tone to the spirit of the book.

In many ways I actually prefer the Rankin Bass and Graphic Novel adaptions...

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 14 2016, 11:38pm

Post #4 of 21 (5208 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious [In reply to] Can't Post

why do you find Botfa boring? Because of the "political" scenes?

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2016, 11:07am

Post #5 of 21 (5179 views)
Shortcut
For me they're one film and I love them all.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with favourite scenes (and a few not-so-favourite) in each one.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 15 2016, 12:10pm

Post #6 of 21 (5178 views)
Shortcut
Definitely AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorite films of all time. I love the whole movie but have a special fondness for the opening scenes at Bag End which do such a wonderful job of immersing us into Tolkien's Middle-earth and the Shire and bringing all the characters together. Really beautifully done.

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 15 2016, 2:31pm

Post #7 of 21 (5173 views)
Shortcut
Not because of the poltical scenes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...actually, they were some of the more interesting scenes in the film...

Personally I found it boring because there was less and less memorable character interaction, Bilbo was sidelined once again, and the film fell victim to its hype and need to constantly out epic itself (see the ludicrous Azog vs Thorin fight), it felt like a load of weightless and over choreographed action scenes stitched together in a very copy and paste way, I just wasn't very interested in the fates or personalities of most of the characters, frankly I could feel Jackson's exhaustion and limited preparation throughout the film.

It sounds bad but in some ways I wish I had at least hated it, at least then i'd have been emotionally effected/invested in the film and come away dissapointed rather than being completely indifferent to it, I've only watched it once, when it was first released and I can remember almost nothing about it, but I have no real desire to watch it again anytime soon.

Oh well, at least I'll always have the books...

Unimpressed

Gianna
Rohan

Sep 15 2016, 10:00pm

Post #8 of 21 (5152 views)
Shortcut
AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Closest to the book, fewest over-the-top CGI and action sequences, most enjoyable for me to watch.

Ingwion
Lorien

Sep 17 2016, 1:05pm

Post #9 of 21 (5110 views)
Shortcut

Definitely. The panning shots showing the Company trekking to the Misty Mountains theme are sublime.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 17 2016, 2:13pm

Post #10 of 21 (5107 views)
Shortcut
AUJ was the least one I liked... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is the most boring of the three installments. AUJ is a slow, SLOW-paced film. Okay, I am not craving for mindless action every 5 minutes but AUJ just seemed to drag on and on for most of it... at least in the theather. At home, viewing in DVD, somehow the pacing was vastly improved. I did not feel the 'slow' parts like in the 'movie house' (lol....).

DOS, and to a lesser extent BOTFA, are frantic, energetic, action-packed films (not mindless action, MIND you, but action scenes well shoot and put to good use). The darker tone, Howard Shore's score just improves vastly over AUJ's (I think the entire soundtrack is better overall than all the three movie themselves combined), the pacing, oh my god the PACING of DOS is SO much better than AUJ... I don't know what else I can really add, The Smaug scenes were worth the ticket price alone (and I have watched this movie on the big screen no less than 4 times). And the breathless, cliffhanger ending... ''I am fire, I am... DEATH''. *roar* I will never forget the chills that went down my spine when the movie ended. Bilbo's line... ''What have we done?'' (even if devoid of context in the theatrical cut) followed by the huge 'bang' sound on the screen as it turned black... it's feelings I cannot explain. The best, most magical movie ending that I have EVER seen on the big screen. Followed by a nice song by Ed Sheeran, of course... by the fourth time I watched until the end credits were over.

Anyway, think I have been rambling on for far too long now... but this should at least give an idea why I consider Desolation of Smaug the best of all three movies.

One last thing I forget to say... DOS was the movie which had the most ''adventure'' feel to it... I should gave given this a little more room in my rant, but what's done is done, and I won't go rewrite this all over again.

Cheers. Cool

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 17 2016, 3:10pm

Post #11 of 21 (5098 views)
Shortcut
My favorite Hobbit film is the Rankin/Bass1977 cartoon... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since The Hobbit book is not a trilogy, I consider PJ's three movies as one complete film, and collectively they only slightly resemble the book on which they are based. Rankin/Bass's adaptation though not perfect, it successfully manages to respectfully portray the story as a classic children's tale as it was originally intended to be, with the main focus being the title character the whole way through.

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 19 2016, 3:23pm

Post #12 of 21 (5061 views)
Shortcut
I like AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

because my favorite chapter in the book was in it. Riddles in the Dark was done very well. Am I the only one who wanted to see Gollum in the other two movies? And more Beorn?

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 20 2016, 11:31pm

Post #13 of 21 (5028 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I also really loved An Unexpected Journey. Your words....wow... is totally right! My memory of seeing it for the first time is my best memory of seeing these movies in theaters!

I really liked Desolation of Smaug because I loved how they introduced all the new characters into it!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 21 2016, 7:17am

Post #14 of 21 (5014 views)
Shortcut
I like a few scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Unexpected Party, the riddle contest with Gollum, and the conversation with Smaug (up to the point when the dwarves enter) are wonderful. The rest is, sadly, a great disappointment.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Sep 24 2016, 5:09am

Post #15 of 21 (4987 views)
Shortcut
The Desolation of Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 24 2016, 11:58pm

Post #16 of 21 (4957 views)
Shortcut
And why? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm curious, what makes this film your favorite of the trilogy? Smile

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Sep 25 2016, 8:10pm

Post #17 of 21 (4915 views)
Shortcut
I voted AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in reality the Rankin Bass cartoon is my favorite Hobbit film.

Misto
Lorien

Sep 27 2016, 7:45pm

Post #18 of 21 (4880 views)
Shortcut
Hindsight... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like AUJ when I first saw it in cinema. It was overly drawn in my opinion and, while relatively close to the book, lacked momentum. Little did I know what was to come after. I nearly laughed my head off for the last part and not in a good way.

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 23 2016, 2:51pm

Post #19 of 21 (4550 views)
Shortcut

I like best. Not only are my favourite scenes in it (The scene at Bag End most of all), but it actually has some character moments, which I found did almost not happen in the other two. BoftA was a bit of a disappointment really. I remember seeing the end credits roll and thinking: Wait, that was it? Really??? The extended version made it a bit better, but I never got quite the same feeling as I did with the LotR films. I don't hate the films, but I can't help feeling that I was hoping fore more.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 25 2016, 1:25am

Post #20 of 21 (4532 views)
Shortcut
The Rankin-Bass cartoon [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But in reality the Rankin Bass cartoon is my favorite Hobbit film.

+1

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jul 21 2017, 6:34pm

Post #21 of 21 (4094 views)
Shortcut

Both DOS and BOFA could have been the better in my eyes if they stayed more faithful to the books. :(

But hey, at least AUJ gave me one of my favorite films ever!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.