Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
LOTR Unofficial Read Through - The Two Towers
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

squire
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 6:30pm

Post #276 of 323 (5947 views)
Shortcut
"the book is not attracting the kind of scholarly attention that it deserves" [In reply to] Can't Post

That rings a bell or two.

Brian Rosebury, in "Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon", rants memorably about Tolkien's "indifferent secondary literature" (i.e., critical and scholarly work).

Another Tolkien scholar, I remember, declared that general-interest critics were usually defeated by the insanely deep and complex world of Middle-earth and Tolkien's legendarium. By the time they had mastered the story and its apparatus enough to write sensibly about it, they would have become "Tolkien scholars" and thus would not be taken seriously anymore by the other general-interest critics!

So there's another variation on my recent thought that the New Line films have had an exaggerated impact on Tolkien criticism because at least they're both widely accessible and clearly comparable to the original.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 6:36pm

Post #277 of 323 (5941 views)
Shortcut
Yes, men had been corrupted by Melkor / Morgoth [In reply to] Can't Post

"...Morgoth came to Men and incited them to worship him and turn away from Ilúvatar, and that they complied...." So, other than the Edain who opposed him a large number remained under his rule and Sauron picked up his mantle.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Men

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 20 2017, 6:37pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 6:49pm

Post #278 of 323 (5941 views)
Shortcut
Shelob's Lair.....the end of book two is in sight. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum plays his best trick on Frodo and Sam. Tolkien notes that when Frodo uses the phial of Galadriel, and the elvish utterances come from his mouth....that Shelob had confronted such in the distant past and that there were other powers (evil) that she possessed that were not intimidated by his display. A daughter of Ungoliant - whose origins are somewhat obscure - either a maiar of lesser demon or even of a totally different class...."coming from the darkness above the skies of Arda". Whatever she was, she was capable of independent action without Melkor....able to destroy the wells of Varda...in fact, she was able to subdue Melkor and almost "killed him". So, the question is...what kind of power would her children have coming from such a powerful entity? Shelob certainly had some....but the details are missing. Sauron used her as a kind of watchdog. http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ungoliant

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 20 2017, 7:06pm

Post #279 of 323 (5942 views)
Shortcut
The Sword does come into Aragorn's reply to Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

As Darkstone pointed out, the Dream spoke of where the Sword dwelt, not the Sword-bearer.

Aragorn's words do mention the Sword:
“But my home, such as I have, is in the North. For here the heirs of Valandil have ever dwelt in long line unbroken from father unto son for many generations. Our days have darkened, and we have dwindled; but ever the Sword has passed to a new keeper. ”

I didn't remember that mention of the Sword until I just looked it up, but it certainly gives credence to Darkstone's theory! It sounds like the Sword is closely related to the dwelling-places of the heirs of Valandil, in "the North".

On the other hand, as you say, by "the North" Aragorn may mean nothing more than that the North Kingdom is his homeland, in contrast to the journeys he has just been describing in the sentence before, to the lands of the southern hemisphere "where the stars are strange". Rivendell itself is in "the North" by that definition, and he does use the word "here", not "there" when referring to his home in the quote above, so maybe he really does just mean Rivendell.

Plus, we know from the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen that the Sword was in Elrond's keeping until Aragorn reached his twentieth birthday. In fact it seems even to be in Elrond's gift, since he gives Aragorn the Sword and the Ring of Barahir at that time, but withholds the Sceptre of Annuminas because Aragorn has "yet to earn it". So perhaps Elrond was the keeper of the Sword in loco parentis until Aragorn reached his majority? After that, who knows? A hidden fastness or just the hidden valley of Rivendell? Eruonen's reference to the hidden fastness is intriguing, but since it seems to be the home of Aragorn's maternal grandparents it presumably isn't relevant to the male line through which the Sword passed. So I still think Rivendell is the simplest answer to the riddle.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 20 2017, 7:16pm

Post #280 of 323 (5937 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Religious means of controlling a population? That's certainly a use of religion that I didn't know Tolkien had put into his story. It sounds a lot like what the Romans did when they conquered the tribes of Europe, turning the religious beliefs of the locals to their advantage by imposing a new god, the Roman Emperor.

deep and unstilled,

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 7:18pm

Post #281 of 323 (5940 views)
Shortcut
"Seek for the Sword that was broken" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Boromir's dream says *nothing* of where Aragorn dwells.

Which was the question noWizardme asked and which I responded to.

It most certainly does, but in metaphor:

Seek for the Sword that was broken:
In Imladris it dwells;

Obviously, in the literal sense that refers to the sword Narsil; however, the stanza can also be interpreted to metaphorically refer to Aragorn. This has been pointed out before now in this discussion, so don't *sigh* me, mister. Cool

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

squire
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 7:24pm

Post #282 of 323 (5940 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know the Romans did that [In reply to] Can't Post

I assumed the local tribes were forced to worship the Greco-Roman pantheon, with Jupiter at the top.

I do wonder if Tolkien's image of Sauron inspiring demon-worship cults to the South and East of Middle-earth aren't indirect or metaphorical references to a combination of the pagan religions of the ancient Middle East as seen through the eyes of the Biblical Jews, and the phenomenon of Islam roaring through the Old World in the name of Allah.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 7:31pm

Post #283 of 323 (5939 views)
Shortcut
Possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"But my home, such as I have, is in the North. For here the heirs of Valandil have ever dwelt in long lin unbroken from father unto son for many generations."

He may have, along with the other Dunedain, a small structure / even village (they have to live somewhere) and it may be among old Arthedain ruins etc. We don't know specifically. But it seems there is some place where he has a residence to the North of Rivendell.

1. Aragorn could simply be referring to Rivendell where he was raised.

2 Aragorn might mean the North of Eriador in general, either Arthedain or the whole of the Kingdom of Arnor. However, at this time both Fornost Erain and Annúminas are abandoned and in ruins, though the Rangers may visit those sites from time to time.

3. Aragorn might be referring to the region between the rivers Hoarwell and Bruinen south of Imladris, known as the Angle, where the folk of the Dúnedain seem to have dwelt since the fall of Arthedain to the beginning of the Fourth Age.

I personally go for option #1 because this is the closest that Aragorn has to a permanent home until his mother departs to be with her own folk (probably after TA 2980*). You are free to disagree with my conclusion, but that is how I interpret Aragorn's statement.

* Robert Foster, in The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, places Gilraen's return to her own folk earlier, but I disagree according to my own reading of "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen".

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 20 2017, 7:34pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 7:56pm

Post #284 of 323 (5930 views)
Shortcut
So Aragorn is broken? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not seeing that. In fact I refuse to see that.

"You have my sword."

"And my bow."

"And my axe."

"And my giant flying eagles."

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 8:04pm

Post #285 of 323 (5928 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn was IN Rivendell when he spoke so [In reply to] Can't Post

IF he was referring to Rivendell as his home he would not have said my home, such at it is, is in the North. Obviously, to me at least, a different location.

He certainly looks to Rivendell as an early home...but once he has been living among his people, I assume he has established some kind of "home" with them - wherever in the wilds of the North that may be. That could mean "home" in the sense of belonging rather than a physical structure, but even the Dunedain must live under shelter.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 20 2017, 8:06pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 8:13pm

Post #286 of 323 (5923 views)
Shortcut
So it's like Reverend's astute argument about balrog wings! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, before the balrog stepped out onto the bridge it had no wings, but after it stepped out onto the bridge it *did* have wings!

Similarly, before Aragorn came to the Council of Elrond he didn't dwell in Imladris, but after he came to the council he *did* dwell in Imladris!

Brilliant!

"You have my sword."

"And my bow."

"And my axe."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 8:19pm

Post #287 of 323 (5921 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson's Aragorn is a bit broken. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So Aragorn is broken? I'm not seeing that. In fact I refuse to see that.

Ignoring the films, I never stated that the metaphor was absolutely perfect. However, the line can refer to the seemingly broken lineage of Elendil (from the perspective of Gondor). The poem as a whole is undoubtedly meant to bring Boromir to Imladris. Aragorn's own words need not refer to Rivendell exclusively, though it is also part of the North.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 20 2017, 8:28pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 8:21pm

Post #288 of 323 (5920 views)
Shortcut
I am not following you.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn was raised in Rivendell and then went among his people.
One can have a childhood home and then another upon maturity.
I am sure he spent time in Rivendell over the years on a regular basis.

Why is it difficult to understand he has a home in the North as he says?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 20 2017, 8:24pm)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 20 2017, 8:25pm

Post #289 of 323 (5912 views)
Shortcut
But he does say his "home, such as I have", is "here". [In reply to] Can't Post

“But my home, such as I have, is in the North. For here the heirs of Valandil have ever dwelt..."
I think what Aragorn is saying to Boromir (right after talking about all the journeys he has taken into the South), is that his homeland, the place where he belongs, is the North. And that he has no real home of his own, but the nearest thing he has to a home ("such as I have"), is right here - in Arnor generally, but in Rivendell specifically.

deep and unstilled,

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 8:26pm

Post #290 of 323 (5912 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that is one interpretation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
IF he was referring to Rivendell as his home he would not have said my home, such at it is, is in the North. Obviously, to me at least, a different location.

He certainly looks to Rivendell as an early home...but once he has been living among his people, I assume he has established some kind of "home" with them - wherever in the wilds of the North that may be. That could mean "home" in the sense of belonging rather than a physical structure, but even the Dunedain must live under shelter.

And I allowed for this possible meaning. Rivendell is at least Aragorn's home for the purpose of a solution to Boromir's dream, if we equate the Chieftain of the Rangers to the Sword that was broken. When Aragorn speaks he may well have a more general meaning in mind. I will point out that the North of Eriador does include Rivendell (though Imladris is not counted as part of the North Kingdom). Rivendell is at the very least one of Aragorn's homes. At this time the Dúnedain as a folk are in hiding and probably do not have any permanent settlements--or very few small ones at most.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 20 2017, 8:34pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 8:38pm

Post #291 of 323 (5902 views)
Shortcut
Not broken, just incomplete. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ignoring the films, I never stated that the metaphor was absolutely perfect.

It is indeed a metaphor substantially less supported than balrog wings.

However, the line can refer to the seemingly broken lineage of Elendil

But Elendil's lineage *isn't* broken, which is why Aragorn is isildur's Heir.

(from the perspective of Gondor).

But the dream would seem to come from a higher power who wouldn't have that perspective.

"You have my sword."

"And my bow."

"And my axe."

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 8:40pm

Post #292 of 323 (5905 views)
Shortcut
I am amazed, but then again, I should not be surprised at the various [In reply to] Can't Post

interpretations of a sentence that upon first reading seemed clear to me - rather simple.

"Here" vs "There"

For here, the heirs of Valandil have ever dwelt in a long line unbroken....

Where did the heirs of Valandil dwell?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...of_the_D.C3.BAnedain

"All of Aranarth's successors were raised in Rivendell by Elrond while their fathers lived in the wild; each was given a name with the Kingly prefix of Ar(a)-, to signify his right to the Kingship of Arnor.[1]

Childhood home = Rivendell....mature home...Arnor.

"Arador (2820–2930) succeeded his father Argonui in 2912. This was after the Fell Winter, and great floods devastated Enedwaith and Minhiriath. The city of Tharbad at the southern end of the former realm of Arnor was ruined and deserted. "

"Aragorn II (T.A. 2931-F.A. 120), one of the major characters in The Lord of the Rings, was born in T.A. 2931. His father was killed two years later. He came of age in T.A. 2951, and assumed lordship of the Dúnedain of Arnor."

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 8:40pm

Post #293 of 323 (5907 views)
Shortcut
I'm not leading. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you misunderstand my post.

I was referring to your subject heading Aragorn was IN Rivendell when he spoke so, which I found a good (and clever) argument..

"You have my sword."

"And my bow."

"And my axe."

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jul 20 2017, 8:46pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 8:50pm

Post #294 of 323 (5898 views)
Shortcut
Ok, I was not getting your analogy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 9:01pm

Post #295 of 323 (5900 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

"What will we do after we tear down the establishment? Groove on the rubble for while."
-Jerry Rubin, American social activist, anti-war leader, counterculture icon, and, later, stockbroker for controversial firm John Muir & Co.

"You have my sword."

"And my bow."

"And my axe."

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 20 2017, 9:14pm

Post #296 of 323 (5899 views)
Shortcut
Another blank stare moment! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, we have some Webs to get through......

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 20 2017, 9:16pm)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 20 2017, 9:21pm

Post #297 of 323 (5895 views)
Shortcut
English kings and the Loire Valley [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn *is* the Chieftain of the Dúnedain and for him to dwell in Rivendell would be like the King of England taking up residence in the Loire Valley.

Well he is a king in exile. Maybe he's bit like Alfred the Great, living in the wilderness during the resistance to the Vikings, before restoring London as the royal seat.

Though (as I suspect you know!) several Kings of England did live (and die) in the Loire valley. Not because they were in exile, but just because England was only an appendage of their more important territories such as Anjou, the region around the Loire Valley.

I've always wanted to visit the abbey of Fontevraud, where Henry and his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine, and his son Richard I, are buried. The tombs still seem to have their medieval colouring. I do hope I get there one day to see for myself.

deep and unstilled,

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 9:25pm

Post #298 of 323 (5892 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really think that you may be being too literal, Darkstone. But be that as it may, we might just have to agree to disagree.

In Reply To
But Elendil's lineage *isn't* broken, which is why Aragorn is isildur's Heir.

No, not in reality. But the line is broken according to Boromir's perspective. Yes, the vision does come from Eru or one of the Valar; however, it needed to be couched in imagery that Boromir could understand.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 20 2017, 9:33pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 9:29pm

Post #299 of 323 (5890 views)
Shortcut
Sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reference to your subject line It does make you wonder what the end game was for Sauron had he won.

"You have my sword."

"And my bow."

"And my axe."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2017, 9:30pm

Post #300 of 323 (5891 views)
Shortcut
No need to be amazed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Arnor is a big place, Eruonen, and has no capital at the time of the War of the Ring. If Aragorn had to specify a single site as his home, he might have to point to Rivendell. However, as has been said, he might just mean the North of Eriador collectively. I'm fine with that interpretation.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.