Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I think this comment needs looking at.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 18 2017, 11:27pm

Post #1 of 6 (777 views)
Shortcut
I think this comment needs looking at. Can't Post

Link.

I find this comment to be rude, with no mistaking it for jest and therefore inappropriate, especially for someone who's a long-time member and should know our standards better:

You really ought to give reading the book another try.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 19 2017, 7:58am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 18 2017, 11:58pm

Post #2 of 6 (759 views)
Shortcut
Rude? [In reply to] Can't Post

I merely suggested that the poster (who was NOT you) might want to try again to read The Lord of the Rings in addition to enjoying the movies. Absolutely no disrespect was intended at all. It was meant entirely in the spirit of friendliness. It was certainly NOT deliberately rude.

However, I am sorry that you were offended. I did go out of my way to find an answer a question (directed at me, by the the way) and then I get crapped on by a bystander. Maybe I'm the one who should be offended!

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 19 2017, 12:10am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 19 2017, 12:18am

Post #3 of 6 (733 views)
Shortcut
"There is no greater outrage than that of the uninvolved." [In reply to] Can't Post

I can do without it. In fact, I withdraw my apology. I really don't care if CuriousG was offended by a post that was not even directed at him.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 19 2017, 12:28am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 19 2017, 5:37am

Post #4 of 6 (707 views)
Shortcut
I suggest this is one of those times [In reply to] Can't Post

when the good intentions of a comment don't come across as the words used are unfortunately blunt. I recommend that everyone step back from their keyboards and take a breath.

Also, I think a refresher reading of the admins' The Courtesy of Our Halls (Discussion Guidelines) post wouldn't go amiss:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 19 2017, 5:41am

Post #5 of 6 (704 views)
Shortcut
Otaku, [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG has done what we ask board members to do: raise any concerns on Feedback so that an admin can consider the situation. Please don't take it personally - after all, the goal is to have discussion boards where everyone feels welcome.

If you haven't read my response to CuriousG yet, please do so. Feel free to contact me here or through private messages if you want to discuss anything.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 19 2017, 6:35am

Post #6 of 6 (697 views)
Shortcut
Ataahua... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I respect the position you find yourself in and your desire to be fair to both sides. I do not think my suggestion was "unfortunately blunt" considering that it was made in the Reading Room where we are specifically discussing Tolkien and his writings, and I do resent that characterization. I was being straightforward, and the suggestion was made with all due respect to Eruonen.

I still take umbrage CuriousG's rush to judgement to look at my post in the worst possible light, but I can certainly put it behind me.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.