The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A humble suggestion for a change in board policy

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jul 17 2017, 7:22pm

Post #1 of 8 (1349 views)
Shortcut
A humble suggestion for a change in board policy Can't Post

I know that it is official TORN policy, discussed in this forum several times in the past, that new threads not be created when a similar thread is still on the front page. It's a reasonable policy and certainly keeps some amount of control when the boards are moving fast. This policy has been considered to apply to those weekly threads that occupy off-topic: Fiesta, Reading, and Watching, plus Gramma's TIME posts on Main.

However, these days, the boards - at least Off-Topic and Main are not moving quickly (if you line them up with something straight and anchored like a fence post, you can tell that they move, but only if you watch for a while). The last post on the Main front page was started April 28th (!), while that on Off-Topic was started June 7th - more than a month ago.

I still think it is a good idea that general duplicate posts be combined, but I'd like to submit that the weekly recurring posts on Off-Topic be blessed with ability to post a new thread each week. TIME on the Main page probably doesn't need a new thread each day, but weekly might make sense.

I think they'd likely garner a little more action - I suspect I'm not the only one that doesn't scan too far down the forum list before I decide that there's no new posts of interest, especially when life is pressing as it usually is these days.

I also think it might help the boards feel a little less stagnant. I know, I know. Us old fogies are more than happy for life to move by slowly, but there's slow, and then there's....slow.

If heaven forbid and a few more traditional weekly threads return (Scenes from the Hat was seen recently!, Walk from Rivendell, Estrogen Island (ewwwww)), well, I guess that's a good problem to have, isn't it?

Thanks for your consideration [insert vile rant about never coming back if I don't get my way right here and now!] [no, don't insert that, no one would believe it anyway] [yes, but it might help show how important the issue is] [Really? Do you even read TORN? Take the temperature of the room buddy] -

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2017, 10:13pm

Post #2 of 8 (1293 views)
Shortcut
I would second this [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be easier to "corral" the movie/event attended and the reading thread if they appeared more often.

Stick a date on them saying this is the What are you Watching thread for Month/Day and start it every two weeks. As it is it's taking a month to roll to page two.

I like having ALL the movies in one place not scattered across multiple threads and if the "official" thread was close to the top it would be easier to "insist" "recommend" people use it.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 17 2017, 10:49pm

Post #3 of 8 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2017, 6:35pm

Post #4 of 8 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Seems entirely reasonable. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Admins all agree that in the current state of the boards separate weekly threads make the most sense. Henceforth, let it be so.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jul 19 2017, 4:21am

Post #5 of 8 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

As always, TORN mods are the best, most eminently reasonable, and fairest in all the realm.

One suspects they all have a bit of Rosie and Sam passed down to them through all the generations.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2017, 12:57am

Post #6 of 8 (1187 views)
Shortcut
*runs to cheering section!* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been told that CHANGE is a good thing ;) In this case, I agree!

So... to make sure I do this right.. I'd start a new TIME thread sayyyy every Sunday (first of the week), and the weekly Walk to Rivendell thread would get a new start each week... yes?

I think this is great for Fiesta threads that can get a bit lost; and the TIME runs won't be so long.

*bows to Admirable Admins!* Thank you! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2017, 3:22am

Post #7 of 8 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's right [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll do that and see how it works. We can discuss tweaks later if needed. ☺

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2017, 12:14pm

Post #8 of 8 (1145 views)
Shortcut
Deal!! :D THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.