The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Bofur and Dwalin Needle Felted Dolls

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Jul 16 2017, 5:42pm

Post #1 of 8 (4685 views)
Shortcut
Bofur and Dwalin Needle Felted Dolls Can't Post

Hi! It's been a while since I posted any new pictures, but two more of the needle-felted dwarves are finished!

This time it's Dwalin and Bofur, and I'll post Bofur first --- following with Dwalin in a reply to this post, since I want to include photos of each.

Just first off (as a note), Bofur and Bombur are going to be down at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus, which means they are on display from July 26 through August 6. So, if anyone goes to the fair this year, you can see them in the Cardinal Hall building.

Bofur stands 9" tall (without his hat), weighs a hefty 4-1/4 ounces and was felted with .40 and .42 felting needles. It took approximately 61 hours to complete him, which translated into about three months of working on the doll.
He's felted from a variety of wool types, so I've made a fiber chart which is the last of the six photos. All of the thumbnail photos below click to full size images.
Finishing Bofur means that one whole family group is finally done! Bifur, Bofur and Bombur are shown together in a photo below. My sister made the hat out of a nice piece of worn leather. It's wired and lined with felted Gotland wool. She also hand-sewed Bofur's canvas bag and made his leather belt. He also has leather boots made from Elk leather, with dyed-Gotland soles and Goat fur tops. The doll is made out of solid wool with a natural colored Romney wool used for his body. This wool felts very firmly, so he has no wood or wire inside of him (none of the needle-felted dwarves have any frame in them).

Okay, photos of Dwalin coming in the reply below. :) He is waiting his turn to go to the fair . . . hopefully next year, when Balin can go with him!

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Jul 16 2017, 5:54pm

Post #2 of 8 (4679 views)
Shortcut
Photos of Dwalin . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

And here is Dwalin . . .

He was felted with .40 and .42 felting needles, stands 9-3/8" tall, weighs four ounces and took approximately 57 hours to complete.
My sister made his leather harness, matching hand armour and his earrings. She also drew his tattoos!
Dwalin is made of a variety of wools, but I haven't gotten around to making a fiber chart for him. His pants and tunic are made of wool that my Mom and I actually Kool-Aid dyed last summer. The pants are Blue Faced Leicester, and the tunic is Grey Gotland. His boots are a mix of black Finnish and Norwegian, his sleeves are Merino, and his skin is Cotswold. His hair is actually natural colored Lincoln Long Wool, and his fur boot tops and mantle are Mink.

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Jul 16 2017, 6:24pm

Post #3 of 8 (4673 views)
Shortcut
Some extra links to other posts and dolls. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as a follow-up to the above, and in case someone has not seen these before. I'm working on making a set of needle-felted art dolls of Thorin's company. I do all the felting and wool work, and my amazing sister makes the little leather and metal accessories. The dolls range from 8-1/2 to 9-3/8". Here are some links to photos of the dolls on my website, plus links to other posts about them on this forum.

My website (with pages for each doll and more photos): http://sarahbethonline.com/fogleberries/index.html
My Blog Photos: http://littlekumquat.weebly.com/wool-doll-photos.html

Other OneRing.net Forum Posts with photos and facts:
Tauriel, Beorn and Elrond (plus miniature FotR)
Thorin Doll
Bilbo Doll
Bombur Doll
Nori Doll
Bifur Doll
Six-inch Thorin Dolls

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 16 2017, 8:03pm

Post #4 of 8 (4659 views)
Shortcut
More amazing work! Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

You always catch their individual expressions so well. And how many teeny tiny stitches has sister sewn?
Amazing!Smile

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 17 2017, 12:58am

Post #5 of 8 (4635 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic, as always! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I assume the green leafy thing he's holding is Athelas?Wink

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 17 2017, 1:10am

Post #6 of 8 (4634 views)
Shortcut
You even got the knuckle-dusters [In reply to] Can't Post

my favorite Dwalin accessory!

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Jul 17 2017, 11:43am

Post #7 of 8 (4599 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the comments! These are so much fun to make, and each dwarf has such an individual character and expression.

Yep, the green in Bofur's hand is the Athelas. I forgot to mention that. Shocked Originally, Elizabeth and I thought it would be cute to have the flute, but then we thought of the Athelas, and it had to be that!

For each character, we sat down and thought of the moment or position that was the first thing to pop into our minds for that dwarf. And that is what we're trying to do on each doll. Something that brings that character right to your mind. Although, we did opt for non-weapon poses, because weapons are hard to make at this scale and would always be fragile when displaying or transporting the doll. That's why they have everything but the weapons. Dori will have his Bolas in his belt, and Fili will have a knife in a sheath on his arm, but those are the only two who will have a weapon . . . and they won't actually be holding them. It keeps the dolls durable and much easier to handle and transport. The only pretty fragile thing on them is their hair, in most cases --- and we can't very well do without that. Wink

Bofur was actually one of the hardest to decide on for a pose, because my favorite moment is the ". . . searing pain and poof! You're nothing but a pile of ash." Unfortunately, you can't transfer the line to felt very well!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 18 2017, 12:29am

Post #8 of 8 (4556 views)
Shortcut
You never disappoint. [In reply to] Can't Post

The workmanship is always top-notch, and as a spinner, I also love seeing what fiber you've used. (I've got some Romney on the wheel right now.)

Good luck at the fair! Again. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.