Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The size of ME Eagles

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Jul 4 2017, 11:49pm

Post #1 of 6 (2269 views)
Shortcut
The size of ME Eagles Can't Post

I was wondering about the actual size of the Eagles of the Misty Mountains and comparing them to the birds we know today. Now, Eagles are some of the biggest birds we have, but I have not known any of them that could pick up something like a Wizard like Gandalf or a Dwarf or even a Hobbit the size of Bilbo. A rabbit or a lamb maybe but that is the maximum I believe. Which means that the Eagles of Middle-Earth must have been pretty big!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 5 2017, 12:05am

Post #2 of 6 (2256 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...the Eagles of Middle-Earth must have been pretty big!

Even larger than the Steller's Sea Eagle, the Harpy Eagle, the Philippine Eagle, or the extinct Haast's Eagle of New Zealand that preyed upon the giant moa. A female Haast's Eagle might have reached a weight of up to 36 pounds and a wingspan of nearly 10 feet.

Weta gives the wingspan of Gwaihir as 950 cm or 31 ft. 2 in.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall. -- The Doctor

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 5 2017, 12:11am)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2017, 7:17am

Post #3 of 6 (2239 views)
Shortcut
A size chart for eagles and human: [In reply to] Can't Post

And the "life-size" Weta eagle at Wellington airport, after it fell from the ceiling in the 20 Jan 2014 earthquake,

and life-size Gandalf on Gwaihir.

There's Wetas's 31ft 2 inch wingspan.Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 5 2017, 12:53pm

Post #4 of 6 (2213 views)
Shortcut
Largest Flying Creatures [In reply to] Can't Post

The largest flying bird ever, by wingspan, was a prehistoric seabird called Pelagornis sandersi that lived about 25 million years ago, with a wingspan between 6.1 and 7.4m (20-24ft).

The heaviest known flying bird was Argentavis magnificens "a condor-like bird from South America with an estimated wingspan of 5.7-6.1m (19-20ft) that lived about six million years ago." Argentavis was estimated to mass about 7072 kg (154159 lb).

The largest real-world flying creature ever was the pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus northropi, with a wingspan of up to 15.9 meters (52 feet).

Of course Smaug would have dwarfed even Quetzalcoatlus.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 5 2017, 12:56pm)

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2017, 10:59pm

Post #5 of 6 (1884 views)
Shortcut
That's all pretty big [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wonder if any could pick up a man!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 23 2017, 11:20pm

Post #6 of 6 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even know if Quetzalcoatlus could have flown with a full-grown man. But then pterosaurs were probably better gliders as opposed to strong flyers.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.