Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Getting to know you! (Hope this is okay)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2017, 5:30pm

Post #1 of 39 (2799 views)
Shortcut
Getting to know you! (Hope this is okay) Can't Post

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting a "getting to know you" thread. I know our Kelvarhin or Ataahua usually do these, but it's been a while and things are pretty slow around here so I thought maybe it would be okay. I would like to find out more about our dear TORnsibs, so I thought of these (in some cases borrowed) some, I hope, interesting/entertaining questions.

1. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be? (This was supposedly asked by Barbara Walters, I'm not sure if it's true, but it seems a nice Tolkien-esque question Smile)

2. What's your spirit animal?

3.What's your go-to comfort food?

4. A depiction of friendship from a book, TV show, or film that you find compelling or touching. (I would imagine Frodo and Sam would be at top of many of our lists Smile)

5. When was the last time you did something for the first time? (This is from an airline advertising campaign, I don't remember which one, but it has stuck with me.)

6. It's Independence Day here in the US, but all countries celebrate some sort of national holiday: what is a tradition you and your family enjoy or a favorite memory?

7. Favorite color.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 4 2017, 6:06pm

Post #2 of 39 (2716 views)
Shortcut
these are a tradition! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be? (This was supposedly asked by Barbara Walters, I'm not sure if it's true, but it seems a nice Tolkien-esque question Smile)

Ponderosa pine. They're beautiful, hardy, and smell like caramel.

Lynx

Hot fudge sundae. Or on a cold day, grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup.

4. A depiction of friendship from a book, TV show, or film that you find compelling or touching. (I would imagine Frodo and Sam would be at top of many of our lists Smile)

Celie and Nellie in The Color Purple.

5. When was the last time you did something for the first time? (This is from an airline advertising campaign, I don't remember which one, but it has stuck with me.)

Went ziplining for the first time the end of April. I have a fear of heights but I loved it!

6. It's Independence Day here in the US, but all countries celebrate some sort of national holiday: what is a tradition you and your family enjoy or a favorite memory?

We don't have a family tradition, but I love going to small-town parades.

7. Favorite color.

Currently, a dark teal.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2017, 1:15am

Post #3 of 39 (2678 views)
Shortcut
Getting to know all about you... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be? (This was supposedly asked by Barbara Walters, I'm not sure if it's true, but it seems a nice Tolkien-esque question Smile) Sugar Maple - beautiful color Springsummer and fall, beautiful branches in winter and maple syrup!

2. What's your spirit animal? River Otter

3.What's your go-to comfort food? Either Creamed tunafish on toast or Hot fudge sundae (Gotta agree with you there, Annael)

4. A depiction of friendship from a book, TV show, or film that you find compelling or touching. (I would imagine Frodo and Sam would be at top of many of our lists Smile) Hawkeye Pierce and BJ Honeycutt.

5. When was the last time you did something for the first time? (This is from an airline advertising campaign, I don't remember which one, but it has stuck with me.) 3 months ago - applying to grad school. Before that, Kayaking and glass blowing.

6. It's Independence Day here in the US, but all countries celebrate some sort of national holiday: what is a tradition you and your family enjoy or a favorite memory? We celebrate other country's holidays and events with food from that country. My grandma used to make Greek food or food from the host country for the Olympics, Italian for St. Joseph's Day, etc.

7. Favorite color. White because it contains all the colors. OK, that's cheating. I love the blue of Georgian Bay on a sunny day. I can't describe it better than that.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2017, 8:33am

Post #4 of 39 (2656 views)
Shortcut
Now I will be singing the song from The King and I all day! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?
American Dogwood (Cornus Florida)

Cat

Pizza

4. A depiction of friendship from a book, TV show, or film that you find compelling or touching.
Sam & Frodo are a good example.

5. When was the last time you did something for the first time?
I honestly don't remember.

We like to cook out (BBQ) on July 4 -- Thank goodness it was nice last evening!

7. Favorite color.
Red -- always has been and probably always will be.

priell3
Lorien

Jul 5 2017, 1:29pm

Post #5 of 39 (2644 views)
Shortcut
My answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Eastern Hemlock

Owl

Soup

4. A depiction of friendship from a book, TV show, or film that you find compelling or touching.

Kirk/Spock

I just recently learned to ride a motorcycle at 56 years of age.

No traditions.

7. Favorite color.

Green

MikeP

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Jul 5 2017, 5:37pm

Post #6 of 39 (2621 views)
Shortcut
My answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1.If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?
English Oak

2.What is your spirit animal?

Cat.

Greek yoghurt

4.A depiction of friendship from a book, TV show, or film that you find compelling or touching.

Sam & Dean Winchester from Supernatural.Jared Padalecki & Jensen Ackles, who play them, are best friends/brothers for life.

5.When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Last year, in the spur of the moment, climbed a small mountain in the Lake District.

6.It's Independence Day here in the US, but all countires celebrate some sort of holiday:what is a tradition that you and your family enjoy or a favourite memory?

No traditions.We English don't have a National holiday on St George's Day!

7.Favourite colour

Cobalt blue.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 5 2017, 8:31pm

Post #7 of 39 (2605 views)
Shortcut
My not-so-great answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be? (This was supposedly asked by Barbara Walters, I'm not sure if it's true, but it seems a nice Tolkien-esque question Smile) Um, green?

2. What's your spirit animal? I claim the eagle-owl, though it probably isn't a good match for my personality, but it's still cool!

3.What's your go-to comfort food? Chocolate, of course!

4. A depiction of friendship from a book, TV show, or film that you find compelling or touching. (I would imagine Frodo and Sam would be at top of many of our lists Smile) I think I'll go with Legolas and Gimli, for getting past the Elf-Dwarf history. Riggs and Murtaugh come in second.

5. When was the last time you did something for the first time? (This is from an airline advertising campaign, I don't remember which one, but it has stuck with me.) Can't really remember, LOL! Actually, I DID just self-publish a book on Amazon Kindle, so I guess that's a first! Announcement coming soon!

6. It's Independence Day here in the US, but all countries celebrate some sort of national holiday: what is a tradition you and your family enjoy or a favorite memory? To me summer isn't complete without 4th of July fireworks - and I missed them this yearUnsure

7. Favorite color. Pinky-purply colors - no one in particular.

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 6 2017, 12:00am

Post #8 of 39 (2597 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting a "getting to know you" thread. I know our Kelvarhin or Ataahua usually do these, but it's been a while and things are pretty slow around here so I thought maybe it would be okay.

You might also think about taking over Scenes From the Hat, Middle-Earth Conspiracy Theories, The LOTR Movie Trivia Game, and SCOD.

I would like to find out more about our dear TORnsibs,…

”Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge…”
-Victor Frankenstein, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein

…so I thought of these (in ome cases borrowed) some, I hope, interesting/entertaining questions.

If you could only say the same about my answers…

1. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be? (This was supposedly asked by Barbara Walters, I'm not sure if it's true, but it seems a nice Tolkien-esque question )

Huorn.

Fletcher Lynn Seagull

Fresh-popped real popcorn covered with real butter and sprinkled with real parmesan cheese. (I think I'll make some right after I post this.)

4. A depiction of friendship from a book, TV show, or film that you find compelling or touching. (I would imagine Frodo and Sam would be at top of many of our lists )

Arthur and Bruce in Bang the Drum Slowly, both 1956 novel and 1973 movie. Now if I could only find "The United States Steel Hour" teleplay with Paul Newman and Albert Salmi.

Weekend before last went to an anime convention. Bought Wifey some jewelry, attended panels, sat and watched people.

Yesterday had some Baked Chicken Katsu Curry Don. Not bad, but sticking with plain old Chicken Katsu next time.

6. It's Independence Day here in the US, but all countries celebrate some sort of national holiday: what is a tradition you and your family enjoy…

Go to the local parade, family reunion picnic in the park, make the kids ice cream, watch the fireworks at the local US air base.

… or a favorite memory?

Buying fireworks with my Dad and older brother and then shooting them off while Mom watched. Everyone would be arrested today.

7. Favorite color.

Green since I was a kid, but lately I’m liking fuchsia more and more.

"We’re orcs of the Misty Mountains,
Our singing’s part of canon.
We do routines and chorus scenes
While dancing with abandon.
We killed Isildur in the Gladden,
To help Sauron bring Armageddon!"

-From "Spamwise The Musical"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 6 2017, 1:23am

Post #9 of 39 (2578 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for getting this going!

Sugar Maple. But don't think that I'm a sap! Wink

Wolf mother.

Ben & Jerry's Coffee Coffee BuzzBuzzBuzz ice cream. Very addictive. Which is why I keep it out of the house. Other than that, a cuppa hot tea, maybe Constant Comment, and a jam butty (slice of whole-grain bread spread with real butter and jam, like wild blueberry or strawberry-rhubarb).

Kirk and Spock (and McCoy) also come to mind for me. And Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

If I can project ahead a week from today, then taking a vacation trip to Nova Scotia!

Our holiday is very low-key, just spending time with family.

7. Favorite color.
Purple when I was younger, but most shades of blue now, from medium to navy, and teal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 7 2017, 4:02pm

Post #10 of 39 (2518 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I'll give it a go... [In reply to] Can't Post

Rowan or hawthorn. I look up to oak and ash but don't aspire to be them!

According to teh quiz I just took - Whale! Would have preferred wolf, but heigh ho...

Chocolate, usually, or good old English trifle.

Apart from Frodo and Sam, Horatio and Archie from the BBC Hornblower.

Last summer I started Pilates. last month I had my first reflexology session. I think Pilates will do me more good.

Hallowe'en/Bonfire Night generally. I'll watch traditional Morris dancing if there's any on locally too.

7. Favorite color.
Green, always green, but I love colours in general and the way they play together.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2017, 3:34am

Post #11 of 39 (2500 views)
Shortcut
Lovin' your responses! Keep them coming. Here are my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Either a birch or a dogwood.

For some reason I'm fascinated by mountain goats.

As with others here, a hot fudge sundae does the trick.

I love everyone's responses to this one! I wish my answer were more literary or classic, but I find the friendship between Troy and Abed on the cult comedy, Community, truly touching and inspiring.

I've done Many things for the first time that I had to do for medical reasons. But beyond doing some new things on the computer, I haven't done anything much that makes me feel I've really done or accomplished anything new. Some of your experiences have inspired me!

Not much in the way of traditions, but I have fond memories of spending summers at my grandparents farm where we would have cookout on July Fourth and play with sparklers.

7. Favorite color.

Purple and jewel tones like sapphire blue, ruby red, and especially emerald green.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 8 2017, 6:12am

Post #12 of 39 (2492 views)
Shortcut
And I love that song. [In reply to] Can't Post

- Sycamore - I love its smell on a hot summer day and the colour of the bark and the shape of the leaves.

- Otter, but we're not quite as lively as we once were.

- Whole wheat toast with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mom always made it for us when we were sick.

- Jane and Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice.

- I've recently performed some of my own pieces on real stages in real theatres in front of real people. Scary as! And a real rush. Laugh

- I loved the holidays of Sweden for each season: Lucia and Jul in December; Walpurgis bonfires in April (good-bye winter!); Midsummer in June; All Saints Day in November. And I miss Thanksgiving with family. We do a Midwinter Feast each year in June with friends here in NZ. Good food and board games.

7. Favorite color.

- All the colours of paua/abalone shell. To me the blues and greens are the colours of New Zealand.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 8 2017, 1:09pm

Post #13 of 39 (2457 views)
Shortcut
Troy and Abed in the MORning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Twins from different mothers. I adored them.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Jul 8 2017, 1:10pm

Post #14 of 39 (2463 views)
Shortcut
when we got sick [In reply to] Can't Post

we got buttered bread with honey. Never at any other time. Thanks for triggering that memory.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 8 2017, 1:49pm

Post #15 of 39 (2453 views)
Shortcut
When it was a cold winter day [In reply to] Can't Post

Mom would give us a cup of made-from-scratch hot cocoa, and toast a slice of bread then butter it and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on it, then slice it into 3 strips, so we could dip it in the cocoa. "Dipping toast", she called it.

That was over 50 years ago...wow...yes, thank you for bringing that memory to mind, Lissuin! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 9 2017, 8:20am

Post #16 of 39 (2425 views)
Shortcut
Ok, here we go [In reply to] Can't Post

A macrocarpa - gorgeous, messy, dangerous impostor.

Umm...I don't know what this means.

Chocolate. Or cheese and crackers. When I was little if I was home sick from school I was allowed fish paste on toast or a cup of stock - fab.

Frog and Toad. Always. x

I have recently learned how to accept what is, rather than hoping or trying to turn it into something else. That is doing something for the first time for me.

A favourite Christmas memory is a wrapped up book on the end of the bed. It was often a Tintin book. When we woke up super early on Christmas morning there would be a book there ready to read. And thus, Mum and Dad got their sleep in.

7. Favorite colour.
Green. Always. This has never changed in my 50 years. And of course I have corrected the spelling of 'colour'.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10 2017, 12:25am

Post #17 of 39 (2374 views)
Shortcut
I get test anxiety!!! I hope I pass this! [In reply to] Can't Post

These are always a great idea, Z.... THANKS!

I'm TORn between a sugar maple and a willow. The sugar maples give GREAT shade in the summer, have a great full canopy, and blast brilliant colours in the fall. However, the willow is like a living green waterfall, imho. The way it falls and drapes then waves and dances in the wind always entrances me :)

I just looked it up! Mine is an Owl :D

My home-made cafe vienna coffee closely followed by ICE CREAM!

Frodo and Sam, fersher... atop the lava flow. "I'm glad to be with you..." Also, Boromir and Aragorn, "My Captain, My King..." "Be at peace, son of Gondor..."

First time... I'm building a deck out my back door. Drove to Zanesville, Ohio this weekend!

We can't always make it to the firworks... but we do watch a partriotic film. (i.e. Independence Day, Captain America, any WWII movie with John Wayne ;)

7. Favorite color.

Most times green... but red is close behind

Thanks again, zarabia! Great questions!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 10 2017, 8:10am

Post #18 of 39 (2356 views)
Shortcut
So, expecting to be a naked mole rat [In reply to] Can't Post

I did some googling and then did a 'spirit animal' quiz.
Bear. I can definitely live with that.

sador
Half-elven

Jul 10 2017, 1:08pm

Post #19 of 39 (2342 views)
Shortcut
Want to know me? Are you sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't sound very Tolkienesque to me.

Well, I have no idea what to answer these kind of questions. But my mother loves cypress trees, so if instead of having me she would plant one, I guess that's what it would be.

Well, soaring high seems a nice idea, so I would go with a vulture.

As I have mentioned before, the noble bird in the Bible is a vulture rather than an eagle (see FarFromHome's answer, too). This has put translators of Tolkien (and other books written in European languages) to Hebrew in a conundrum, with the most recent translations of LotR using the Hebrew term for eagle. despite its negative conotations. Personally, I think they were wrong (a similar confusion arose with translating "ravens" and "crows" - see here).

But if I was a fowl - I would more likely be a duck, which dabbles a bit in walking, in flying and in swimming - without doing well on any of the three.

Peaches in the summer, grapefruit in the winter.

Ha! I wish! These two magnificent fruit are indeed my favourites, but I guess calling them my go-to comfort food would be a stretch.
It used to be some sweetened beverage - either soda of coffee, but I am trying to cut down my consumption of those. So I can't say I have one at thew moment.

Touching? The Happy Prince and the swallow.

In Tolkien, the most touching one would be Turin and Gwindor (a leading candidate for my favourite Tolkien character, despite my using a different character of the same story for my nick).
I have also liked very muc the Legolas-Gimli depiction in the films (as I've written here and here). In the books, the only comparable scene between the two of them is in The Last Debate, as they walk through Minas Tirith and muse about the world's future after they and all their kin have passed.

What king of thing?

Nothing comes to mind at the moment. Well, I guess listening to a radio show over the internet on the earphones while at work is something I have never done until a few weeks ago, but that seems a bit lame for a "first".

In the evening, we always go to the local celebration (it usually features songs by the younger schoolchildren, and we have some three or four years before we could skip that...)

In the day, we usually go on a walking tour in the country with friends, and then the inevitable barbecue. As the Guess Who put it:
On my way to better things
I've found myself some wings... (No Time)

A less festive story is about my late grandmother:
She never allowed any mention of her birthday, After WWII, she received a letter from a friend who managed to flee the ghetto in time, and returned back to their hometown. She wrote that all of the family my grandmother had left behind (she came here in 1938) were massacred, and the ghetto was wiped out (and her mother killed) on the day in which she had her birthday.
So she hated birthdays. So one day, I came across a book which enabled you to find the Hebrew dates of day you only know according the the regular calendar, and looking through it, I found out that my grandmother's Hebrew birthday fell on Independence day! My mother thought it was a great find, and that year baked a cake and served it after the meal, saying "Happy Birthday!"
It didn't work - it only spoiled the day.

7. Favorite color.
Usually greens and blues. Say cobalt blue.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 10 2017, 1:25pm

Post #20 of 39 (2331 views)
Shortcut
"Hey, it's me!" [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Tree? How about a nice straight pine, preferably with all the branches trimmed off, and fitted as the mainmast of a sailing ship.

2. Spirit animal: bald eagle. I see them here about one or twice a month. You don't know how much I want to fly away with them.

3. Comfort food: whoopee pie. There's a little mom & pop gas station in a tiny town on the US/Canada border that sells the best homemade whoopee pies ever.

4. Friendship: Kirk & Spock on TV, Aubrey & Maturin in books, Captain America & Falcon on film.

5. Last first time: climbed Mt Katahdin, highest mountain in Maine and the northern end of the Appalachian Trail, almost 2 years ago.

6. Family tradition: homemade ice cream. Traditionally, one of our rules is that everyone who wants to eat it has to turn the crank, but we often relax that rule, especially when older family members are there.

7. Favorite color: red... no, blue!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2017, 3:41pm

Post #21 of 39 (2321 views)
Shortcut
Me [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Tree?
Apple trees -- for their beauty, variety, character and because their fruit features so often in lore, literature and art

2. Spirit animal?
I love all animals* but my affinity for felis domesticus is pretty solid

3. Go-to comfort food?
Currently, peanut butter cookies (crispchewysaltysweet bliss!)

4. Memorable friendship?
Meredith and Christina from Grey's Anatomy, two brilliant but emotionally handicapped women

5. Last time I did something for the first time?
* Spent time petting the rays at Toronto's Aquarium. Now I'm infatuated with these amazing, charming, intelligent creatures

6. Holiday tradition?
Can't think of anything in particular. Most traditions have something to do with gathering together and preparing some foods we generally don't eat any other time of the year. For the Fourth that would be fried chicken and ice cream sandwiches. (Used to be potato salad, too, but never found a recipe I was happy with. Plus I'm lazy :D )

7. Favorite color?
Was peacock blue forever until recently -- now it's a very very nearly not there shade of blue

Annael
Immortal

Jul 10 2017, 5:24pm

Post #22 of 39 (2311 views)
Shortcut
homemade woopie pies [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a farm stand I always stop at if I'm in the area because they make their own gluten-free ginger cookies and make sandwiches of them with homemade vanilla ice cream. Heaven on earth.

-- Gaston Bachelard

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2017, 2:24am

Post #23 of 39 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Ziplining! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm also afraid of heights, but I think I might enjoy ziplining. As Abed would say, "Cool. Cool, cool, cool!"

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2017, 2:28am

Post #24 of 39 (2062 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on grad school! [In reply to] Can't Post

The kayaking and glassblowing sound fascinating. Especially the glassblowing.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2017, 2:31am

Post #25 of 39 (2061 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you on the dogwood [In reply to] Can't Post

They are so graceful and are among the first to bloom in the spring. Love them.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.