The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Looking for photos of Tolkien cosplayers

Tankhera

Jun 28 2017, 2:44pm

Post #1 of 4 (1612 views)
Shortcut
Looking for photos of Tolkien cosplayers Can't Post

Hello all,

I've been sifting through the web, which seems to be a bit trickier than ole Shelob's, and I'm having trouble finding any Halloween costumes, cosplays, basically 'any' Tolkien costumes that might be floating around pre Peter Jackson films, so basically anything prior than 2000 for a write up. I know they're out there and exist, and it doesn't matter what the costume is so long as it's Tolkien.

If you know of any or perhaps have some of yourselves and wouldn't mind sharing them, please add on to this thread ASAP or feel free to PM me. Thanks everyone!

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2017, 3:40pm

Post #2 of 4 (1601 views)
Shortcut
You might try the Scrapbook [In reply to] Can't Post

Over on the left.... look under events... especially the conventions.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Tankhera

Jun 28 2017, 4:02pm

Post #3 of 4 (1600 views)
Shortcut
pics [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Wink I'll look into it. I'm specifically looking for costumes that are prior to the release of the PJ films though.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2017, 10:47am

Post #4 of 4 (1497 views)
Shortcut
A treasure hunt, fersher :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The costumes I've made have been after the films. You might try focusing on conventions from the years prior to 2001 (i.e. ComicCon, DragonCon, Medieval Festival, etc.). Maybe some costume contests. Try not using cosplay as part of your keyword search. It was not a term widely known or used pre-LotR films, imho. I know I never knew of the term until the past several years, and I've been a Tolkien-nut since 1971 :)

With many of the images of Middle-earth defined by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith, etc. before the films came out, I'd be surprised if many of the costumes you find since the film releases didn't resemble pre-film ideas.

Good Luck!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.