A round door does not make a Hobbit Hole

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 26 2017, 2:30am

Post #1 of 20 (3578 views)
Shortcut
A round door does not make a Hobbit Hole Can't Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ry-s-Humpty-Doo.html

"Husband makes wife's wish of a Hobbit-inspired house come true by building her very own Lord of the Rings home"

Other than the door that is about it.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 26 2017, 3:56am

Post #2 of 20 (3507 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

No one is going to enter that home thinking that they could be inside Bag End or Rivendell.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

squire
Half-elven

Jun 26 2017, 12:13pm

Post #3 of 20 (3476 views)
Shortcut
The power of marketing and the mysteries of click-bait [In reply to] Can't Post

As you and Otaku and anyone can see, the design of the house as a (w)hole has nothing whatever to do with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, either in film or book form (if books can be said to have a design aesthetic).

But the door's only association with Bag End is that it's round. This one rather practically opens near the centerline, with a larger and smaller piece to allow for a central knob; the hobbit's door in both Tolkien's drawing and in the films is one big round door fantastically hinged on one side only.

The house also seems to have several other prominent circular features in its windows and decor, suggesting that the builder saw the door as much a strong geometrical design feature as an accommodation to his wife's film fandom.

Really, the headline says it all: it mentions both films' titles for no obvious reason (the story says The Hobbit was the only inspiration for the wife's request, but after all, TolkienTolkienTolkien), and implies that the entire house is based on the films. Who wouldn't click on what is essentially a glorified real-estate listing, with a headline like that?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 26 2017, 5:43pm

Post #4 of 20 (3448 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh - now I understand what they mean when they say the movies were inspired by the books // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Nuradar
Rohan

Jun 27 2017, 12:27pm

Post #5 of 20 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides the front door, there is nothing "hobbity" about this home, and even the front door isn't that "hobbity" as it splits in two. No self-respecting hobbit home would have a front door like that.

Having said that, however, it is a lovely home.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 27 2017, 4:04pm

Post #6 of 20 (3350 views)
Shortcut
Frank LLoyd Wright house discovered in Hobbiton [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

"Swimming pool shunned by neighbors as 'promoting adventurism in the young.'"

Thanks for posting!

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2017, 7:13pm

Post #7 of 20 (3322 views)
Shortcut
Even hobbits hit their heads on the ceiling beam in the entry hall./ [In reply to] Can't Post

wizzardly
Rohan

Jun 27 2017, 7:35pm

Post #8 of 20 (3323 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in truth, there's about as much Tolkien in this house design as there is in PJs Hobbit.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 27 2017, 7:58pm

Post #9 of 20 (3310 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But in truth, there's about as much Tolkien in this house design as there is in PJs Hobbit.

Surely, you go too far. Even Peter Jackson and his team did a far better job of evoking the look and feel of Tolkien's Middle-earth than this house does.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

wizzardly
Rohan

Jun 27 2017, 8:33pm

Post #10 of 20 (3300 views)
Shortcut
Too far? I wouldn't say so... [In reply to] Can't Post

This house only vaguely resembles those as described by Tolkien, as PJs Hobbit movies only vaguely resemble the story as told by Tolkien.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

squire
Half-elven

Jun 27 2017, 8:39pm

Post #11 of 20 (3300 views)
Shortcut
No, that's going too far [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of New Line's The Hobbit (the part that I saw) was quite good as far as production design went. This house goes in a completely different direction, round front door aside.

Not that I wouldn't, as I've said before, mind seeing a film of Tolkien's world that deliberately but thoughtfully explored a different design basis than the default Ye Olde Medievall Phantasye: Modern, Asian, Classical, etc. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

wizzardly
Rohan

Jun 27 2017, 8:50pm

Post #12 of 20 (3293 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was referring to more than just the visual aspect of the films, however, I will say PJ's Bag-end was quite good. Unfortunately it all goes downhill soon after the first dwarf arrives.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 1 2017, 5:20pm

Post #13 of 20 (3174 views)
Shortcut
Well, hats off to him for using local materials and fine craftsmanship... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but Hobbity? Not even close, sorry mate. It lacks the essential snugness and curviness of a desirable Hobbit hole and a tin roof is a real no-no. Some papers do not let the facts get in the way of a good story, as the saying goes!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 1 2017, 5:20pm

Post #14 of 20 (3171 views)
Shortcut
Forgot to say - if she was so keen, why are they now selling it? [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2017, 10:53am

Post #15 of 20 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Wow... that's impressive [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid it doesn't do it for me as my idea of a hobbit-hole is more rustic, woody, warm and cozy (laced with my mathomy clutter ;) But if you don't have a hill or proper place to build on, this is a wonderful option!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 10 2017, 8:58pm

Post #16 of 20 (2962 views)
Shortcut
I'm having a house built [In reply to] Can't Post

but it will be less Hobbity than this one - I couldn't even get a round window put in! Best I can do is put in bookshelves and a garden!Wink

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 10 2017, 9:10pm

Post #17 of 20 (2959 views)
Shortcut
You can use some rounded interior elements and decorate accordingly. [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 23 2017, 5:42pm

Post #18 of 20 (2440 views)
Shortcut
More Tolkien-inspired craftwork. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw this cute little wooden sword with runes.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 23 2017, 8:56pm

Post #19 of 20 (2404 views)
Shortcut
I imagine someone out there has designed a truly LOTR inspired home - both [In reply to] Can't Post

exterior and interior...would love to see it.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 24 2017, 12:20am

Post #20 of 20 (2377 views)
Shortcut
Building to live like a Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought this idea could use it's own thread, so let's see what people come up with. Smile
http://newboards.theonering.net/...amp;post=931225#last

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.