Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
If you were stuck on an island, which of the Middle Earth movies would you have with you?

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jun 17 2017, 11:40am

Post #1 of 24 (3575 views)
Shortcut
If you were stuck on an island, which of the Middle Earth movies would you have with you? Can't Post

You can only choose ONE:

An Unexpected Journey?
The Desolation of Smaug?
The Battle of the Five Armies?
The Fellowship of the Ring?
The Two Towers?
The Return of the King?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2017, 12:38pm

Post #2 of 24 (3508 views)
Shortcut
Shoulda done this as a formal poll in the Pollantir forum! [In reply to] Can't Post

That said, I find 'only one' to be an impossible choice. I'm also surprised you didn't ask: Theatrical Cut or Extended Edition?

Now, if the choice was between the two trilogies it would be easy: The Lord of the Rings (extended editions).

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 17 2017, 12:41pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jun 17 2017, 12:57pm

Post #3 of 24 (3514 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship TE [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the first one, as seen for the first time, and as such it would provide me with the most nostalgia and longest memories of the rest of the film trilogy.

(I am always curious why the "stuck on an island" trope for this kind of self-examination has such staying power. When was the last time anyone was actually stuck on an island?)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2017, 1:02pm

Post #4 of 24 (3497 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(I am always curious why the "stuck on an island" trope for this kind of self-examination has such staying power. When was the last time anyone was actually stuck on an island?)

The question also assumes a working media player and a reliable power source! Sly

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17 2017, 1:22pm

Post #5 of 24 (3496 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... and well... [In reply to] Can't Post

TE Fellowship has my vote, too, for the exact same reason you've said. The nostalgia... and discovery ;)

Honestly though, I'd rather it be the one-volume edition of the book!!!!

As to the Island... it doesn't necessarily mean on a piece of earth surrounded by water. ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 17 2017, 2:08pm

Post #6 of 24 (3487 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship. With the added advantage [In reply to] Can't Post

that I would no longer be stranded. (Does it use sails or oars?)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 17 2017, 2:09pm

Post #7 of 24 (3480 views)
Shortcut
Yep! (The book) :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2017, 9:30pm

Post #8 of 24 (3456 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose between FOTR EE and ROTK TE. [In reply to] Can't Post

ROTK's Ride of the Rohirrim or Balrog v Gandalf? That's a tough one to pick!

...probably FOTR, as it's the more complete story in and of itself.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2017, 9:30pm

Post #9 of 24 (3462 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, not so much the 'stuck' bit...

Angelic

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 19 2017, 4:53pm

Post #10 of 24 (3393 views)
Shortcut
My choice as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Living over and over through that "Oh, they nailed it!" feeling that hit me during the prologue would get me through a lot of days during the rainy season. Or winter. Or whatever the bad part of the year is wherever this island happens to be.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 19 2017, 5:03pm

Post #11 of 24 (3405 views)
Shortcut
It still happens [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently at least twice in 2016:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...anks-to-sos-message/

The little boy in me whose favorite books included "The Coral Island" and "Lord of the Flies" is glad to know that dreams still can come true.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jun 19 2017, 8:10pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jun 19 2017, 7:11pm

Post #12 of 24 (3385 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

The story neglected to report what the shipwrecked couple had packed to amuse themselves.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 19 2017, 8:12pm

Post #13 of 24 (3379 views)
Shortcut
ROTK-TE [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Jackson said, the main reason you take on Lord of the Rings is to make The Return of the King.

Plus the Theatrical Edition extras contain the Supertrailer, which is basically a Reader's Digest version of the film. I've heard grammaboodawg uses it as a quick fix for LOTR withdrawal.

Once Radagast dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Radagast. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Radagast. But he didn't know if he was Radagast who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Radagast. Between Radagast and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Aiwendil dreaming he's both Radagast *and* a moth!
-From Radagasti: The Moth Dream

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 19 2017, 8:56pm

Post #14 of 24 (3374 views)
Shortcut
Maybe half a dozen times [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When was the last time anyone was actually stuck on an island?)

For me, in the early 70s. Wake, Guam, Okinawa, and Greenland. Technically the Philippines and Britain.

I recall up in Thule they alternated between showing John Wayne's Chisum with an especially worn print of The Abominable Dr. Phibes that broke during just about every showing.

Once Radagast dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Radagast. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Radagast. But he didn't know if he was Radagast who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Radagast. Between Radagast and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Aiwendil dreaming he's both Radagast *and* a moth!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 19 2017, 9:05pm

Post #15 of 24 (3371 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As to the Island... it doesn't necessarily mean on a piece of earth surrounded by water. ;)

Back during the drought in 2009 and then 2011 on occasion Wichita Falls was temporarily an island surrounded by wildfires. Luckily it never knocked out our power or the cable TV.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 19 2017, 9:54pm

Post #16 of 24 (3364 views)
Shortcut
Scary! :o [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as it doesn't knock out the power of breathing, too!!! Smoky air is NASTY!

Extremes, fersher... and both elements seem to take on a life of their own when they're unleashed! STAY SAFE!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2017, 12:25am

Post #17 of 24 (3359 views)
Shortcut
The 1966 copyright-maintenance version of The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, if I'm unlucky enough to be stuck on an island in the first place, what are the chances I get something good like the FOTR EE to watch?

dreamflower
Lorien

Jun 20 2017, 9:01pm

Post #18 of 24 (3289 views)
Shortcut
Well if it was just one [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship of the Ring, EE

If only two,
FotR:EE
and TH:The Unexpected Journey, EE

If more all of them.

Or skip the movies and give me the entire EE score by Howard Shore plus all the books.

Oh, and whichever: a device to play them on and enough batteries to keep them going or some other power source.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 21 2017, 7:52pm

Post #19 of 24 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Staying power [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The BBC started broadcasting Desert Island Discs in 1942, and it's still going strong in 2017. It seems to fit the pattern of the trope very well, although I don't know if it was picking up on an idea that was already out there at the time. It's certainly been a very robust format that hasn't changed much over the years. Each week a different celebrity "castaway" gets to pick eight recordings they would take with them to their island, plus a book and a luxury item. Early episodes have been lost (the BBC had a habit of recycling its tapes in the early days), but there's a searchable archive with over 3000 interviews. You can search on various items, including the book that the castaways chose - Tolkien's been picked a number of times over the years! (I noticed Sir Edmund Hillary picked LotR in 1979, long before he could have known that it would end up being filmed in his homeland! I recall a lovely little LotR movie extra of him visiting a location shoot and Peter Jackson worrying that the conqueror of Everest, now an old man, might slip and fall on the uneven ground!)

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Eruclauron
Bree

Jun 23 2017, 11:16pm

Post #20 of 24 (3106 views)
Shortcut
The Return of the King (EE) [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely the extended edition of The Return of the King: I get to enjoy Middle-earth longer then. Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 25 2017, 9:00am

Post #21 of 24 (3087 views)
Shortcut
But does the island have power and all necessary technology? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because if not.....
Well, actually, if it does or doesn't I'm OK because I can play them all in my head. And trust me, I would!

And if I really, really had to choose one when I would take all (and remember, even Desert Island Discs allows boxed sets/ bound volumes) it would be either the Fellowship EE or Battle of the Five Armies EE - because... beginning, or end.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2017, 7:54am

Post #22 of 24 (3039 views)
Shortcut
If there's one thing I learned from watching Gilligan's Island as a kid.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's that you can power anything with coconuts (except a rescue beacon).

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 26 2017, 8:38am

Post #23 of 24 (3029 views)
Shortcut
In that case please may I take a copy..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of 101 useful things to do with a coconut! Tongue

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2017, 3:17pm

Post #24 of 24 (3010 views)
Shortcut
The Numenoreans used coconuts for everything in the early days./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.