The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Cannot believe I'm seeing this level of bigotry on TORN

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 27 2017, 11:20pm

Post #1 of 13 (9824 views)
Shortcut
Cannot believe I'm seeing this level of bigotry on TORN Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=928866;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 27 2017, 11:36pm

Post #2 of 13 (9769 views)
Shortcut
You're kidding, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Google "Jeff Foxworthy' and try to develop a sense of humor.

Nothing to see here.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 27 2017, 11:46pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 27 2017, 11:52pm

Post #3 of 13 (9758 views)
Shortcut
It's typical American "Redneck" humor [In reply to] Can't Post

A "Redneck" is a caricature, an amalgamated exaggeration of various kinds of behavior. I realize that many online dictionaries make this term specific to one particular kind of person (poor southern Euro-Americans), but that is not how most of us understand it.

A Redneck, originally, was a Scots-Irish immigrant who was a Covenanter (one who preferred Presbyterianism over the Church of England, and wore red around the neck as a symbol). Many settled in the Appalachian Hills, and are also referred to as "Hillbillies". It is this parody of "Hillbilly" behavior that is the subject of the thread.

Being of Scots-Irish descent myself, with Appalachian ancestors, I find nothing insulting in using this term. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 28 2017, 12:37am

Post #4 of 13 (9741 views)
Shortcut
I'm a redneck from Appalachia... [In reply to] Can't Post

and if I can't laugh at my people, it better be because my jaw's wired shut. Just sayin'. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

May 28 2017, 1:09am

Post #5 of 13 (9738 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had a moment or two of thought that it walks the line

... even though I posted the bit about your second cousin being your grandpa (proof that I am a purebred redneck of the Appalachian Hillbilly genre is that is practically the truth) ...

then I thought get over yourself.... As Trumpkin says in Prince Caspian -- "A jibe won't raise a blister" ...

(And my father's definition of redneck is more that he's got a redneck from being out in the sun working.... farmer tan...)

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 28 2017, 2:17am

Post #6 of 13 (9750 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for the offence - [In reply to] Can't Post

I was running late for a men's fellowship breakfast and bluegrass concert when I posted to that thread... with more time I might have thought better of it.

Altaira
Superuser

May 28 2017, 2:23am

Post #7 of 13 (9732 views)
Shortcut
That's how I've always thought of it [In reply to] Can't Post

A "Redneck" is a caricature, an amalgamated exaggeration of various kinds of behavior.

Especially with respect to how Jeff Foxworthy uses it, a redneck is a made up amalgamation, as you said, of funny things many people and cultures of the U.S. say and do. It also makes a difference that he's assumed the role of 'redneck' for his comedic performances and is thus making fun of himself.

That said, if enough people express that they're distressed by it, we'll delete the thread. As of now, it seems most people are seeing non-specific humor that could apply in a number of situations.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 29 2017, 3:28am

Post #8 of 13 (9614 views)
Shortcut
It's rather like colonials taking up the song "Yankee Doodle" as their own. [In reply to] Can't Post

See Jeff Foxworthy explain in this video how he came up with the idea.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 30 2017, 12:37pm

Post #9 of 13 (9476 views)
Shortcut
Some of those jokes hit close to my redneck moutain youth, and I found them funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially the reference to reusing Kool Whip containers in various ways. Yup, my mother did that all the time.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

May 31 2017, 2:31am

Post #10 of 13 (9423 views)
Shortcut
have a bag of them in the trunk [In reply to] Can't Post

Kool whip containers... not rednecks..

I keep them in the "emergency park" bag for when the granddaughter goes to the park or the beach. Great for making sandcastles.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2017, 1:18am

Post #11 of 13 (6461 views)
Shortcut
*old hippie throws up peace sign* [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a "hippie" is as diverse and stereotypical as other cultural references. I'm afraid many of those stereotypes do (did!) apply... but not all of 'em ;)

gramma's hippie pics

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2017, 1:20am

Post #12 of 13 (6452 views)
Shortcut
No problem here :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a long line of rednecks in my family... and we reference each other that way, too :) I laughed at several of those, too!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 21 2017, 7:32pm

Post #13 of 13 (6425 views)
Shortcut
That was hilarious [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.