TORn's Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2017, 12:56am

Post #1 of 27 (4338 views)
Shortcut
TORn's Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! Can't Post

Here we are in the middle of our 18th Founders Day Celebration!! *tosses confetti*

Did you walk to the Party, or drive a cart, or fly in on your dragon? ;)

I had quite a bit of mileage both outside and inside. I love this time of year! But I'm having the BEST time right now because starting today my small farming town is having our Maple Syrup Festival. We have TONS of Sugar Maple trees, and every Spring the townies hang buckets on the trees and collect the sap, make syrup right here, and serve it during 4 days of Pancake breakfasts, lunches and dinners. The whole town turns into a giant yard sale complete with county-fair rides, parades and elephant ears. So I'm walking and walking and gathering up so many treasures from these yard sales! I've got 2 more days before this year's Festival ends. It's always the 3rd weekend of April. When we see the buckets hang on the trees (in March), we know that winter is almost over!

How have you been coming along on your Quests? Share your highlights, challenges or goals. Remember, there's no competition here except with yourself... so whatever you accomplish is AWESOME!

My Progress:
Miles covered: 23
Total Cumulated miles [from Hobbiton]: 3,406 since 1/1/15

Well... I've just entered the Paths of the Dead with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. Wish you were here... NOT!

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 28 2017, 12:59am)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 28 2017, 12:56pm

Post #2 of 27 (4267 views)
Shortcut
A 'conspiracy' is unmasked? How does one join? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a distance calculator, discussion thread & the like I need to go see?
I've just started running again after an injury, so mapping my progress against Middle-earth might be fun...

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2017, 1:24pm

Post #3 of 27 (4262 views)
Shortcut
Pathways [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is there a distance calculator, discussion thread & the like I need to go see?
I've just started running again after an injury, so mapping my progress against Middle-earth might be fun...

If you happen to have a copy of Karen Wynn Fonstad's The Atlas of Middle-earth, you could gauge your progress against her 'pathways' maps and tables for The Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings. I recommend the book for any serious fan of Tolkien's Middle-earth.

The Interactive Map of Middle-earth might also prove helpful: http://lotrproject.com/map/.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 28 2017, 1:26pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 29 2017, 3:46am

Post #4 of 27 (4246 views)
Shortcut
It's very easy... :D [In reply to] Can't Post

We just started up doing the Walk again after a year+ hiatus. I'm so happy for you to be on the mend and want to join us on the Road ;) The beauty of this is you make this your very own. Activity, pace, which walk to do... it's all for your personal goal.

Here are links to explanatory notes all about what we're doing and a link to the resources (charts, conversions, etc).

There's a list there of all of the charts from Karen Wynn Fonstad's book where she has laid out a chart for each of the journeys by the Fellowship (even after the Breaking) and of The Hobbit. She breaks each walk down by the day showing the mileage and events.

What I like to do is save a copy of each chart and pick which walk I want to do (i.e. Bag End to Rivendell), figure my mileage for the week (walking, gardening, house cleaning... any activity), and I look up those miles on the chart. I'll mark the chart by typing in the date, my mileage that week, and my total mileage. I keep doing that week after week until I fulfill the Quest... then I move on to the next chart. This will all make sense once you check out the charts ;)

Take a look through the explanatory notes and charts. I'll be happy to work with you on how to get your mileage and place in the chart.

THANKS! :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 4 2017, 6:10pm

Post #5 of 27 (4174 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

We've made it through the festival in the streets as we celebrated Founders Day. I know I'll have to walk MORE to undo the damage from the feasting... but it was all worth it :D

So how are you doing on your travels? For us, it's not only the destination, but the journey itself. ;)

I've got a crazy week going on and crazier weekend coming up, so I'm making good headway!

My Progress:
Miles covered: 30
Total Cumulated miles [from Hobbiton]: 3,436 since 1/1/15

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and I made it through the Paths of the Dead and have come upon the first dwellings in the hills. BUT they turned out all the lights and started ringing bells of alarm. Like that's gonna scare away the Dead, eh?

See you on the Road!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 5 2017, 10:20am

Post #6 of 27 (4121 views)
Shortcut
Hey-hey! [In reply to] Can't Post

The weather has been excellent this past week, so I opted for more walking and less biking, which has resulted in slightly fewer miles, but a much better mood, as I'd began to think the spring would never come.

My progess:
Miles covered this week: 73
Cumulative miles: 7882

In Middle-earth, I've been honing my barrel riding skills, as I'm currently making my way to Lake-town. Things are getting exciting!

Happy walking! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 5 2017, 11:37pm

Post #7 of 27 (4067 views)
Shortcut
I love walking the most [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially if I can grab and apple or two ;) But my pitfall walking on my dirt roads is I find too any good looking pebbles and stones, which I gather along the way. I must have 2 tons (no joke) of them in the basement right now waiting to be made into little stone houses, light houses, bird houses and anything else my imagination can spawn ;)

WELL DONE! And I'm so glad the good weather has finally hit!

Just keep swimming.... just keep swimming... ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 11 2017, 1:42pm

Post #8 of 27 (4000 views)
Shortcut

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope everyone is have a very "moving" week and that you're feeling good with your progress. What I love about this Walk is that the 2 bedrooms I'm clearing out (boxes, furniture, Mathoms) counts towards my totals. However, I much prefer my long walks in the country.

Between cleaning, walking, mowing, and laying down pavers for my new walkway, I've had a good week :) I hope everyone has a great week to come and a great week gone behind ;)

My Progress:
Miles covered: 36
Total Cumulated miles [from Hobbiton]: 3,472 since 1/1/15

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and I are still passing through Morthond on our way to the waterway.

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 11 2017, 1:49pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 12 2017, 9:10am

Post #9 of 27 (3970 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

So much for the great weather -- it was SNOWING again just a few days ago. Ugh! Frown

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 65
Cumulative miles: 7947

It isn't much better in Middle-earth either, as I've reached the Desolation of Smaug! Shocked

Happy walking! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 12 2017, 11:24am

Post #10 of 27 (3964 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez! [In reply to] Can't Post

SNOW!?! That's just not right! Maybe it will cool down the desolated lands ;)

Button up and hang in there! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18 2017, 3:51pm

Post #11 of 27 (3902 views)
Shortcut

Howdy Fellow Walkers! I hope you're having fun with your Quest :) If you'd like to share your story and/or your goals, you'll find we're right there with you and totally understand how its sometimes an effort just to keep going. In the wisdom of Gimli, "Keep breathing, that's the key! Breathe! Ho!" OR, in some cases... like Dory, "Just keep swimming... " ;)

I've been taking advantage of some monstrous-awesome sales at my local lumber store. I've gathered wood and items to build an 18x8 deck out my back door (replacing railroad ties) and a fence for a dog I hope to get in the next year. It's getting time to adopt another fur-bearing critter after losing my dear Puddifoot this time last year.

My Progress this week:
Miles covered: 28

I'm still travelling with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and the Dead. In fact, the Dead tried to pass us and pull ahead; but Aragorn hauls them back. Kind of hard to get your head around the fact the guy we've been hanging with can even tell ghosts what to do!

Hang in there, and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18 2017, 3:58pm

Post #12 of 27 (3902 views)
Shortcut
Resources, explanations, and a How To [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources

For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

THE LORD OF THE RINGS:
458 miles: Go from Hobbiton to Rivendell.
462 miles: Set out with the Fellowship from Rivendell to Lothlorien.
389 miles: Travel through Moria and down the Anduin from Lothlorien to Rauros Falls.
355 miles: Follow the path of Merry and Pippin from Rauros to Isengard.
484 miles: Follow the path of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli from Rauros to Isengard.
470 miles: Follow Frodo and Sam on the quest from Rauros to Mt. Doom.
517 miles: Ride with Gandalf and Pippin from Isengard to Minas Tirith.
786 miles: Travel with Aragorn from Isengard to Dunharrow through the Paths of the Dead to Minas Tirith.
578 miles: Ride with Merry and the Rohirrim from Isengard to Dunharrow to Edoras to Minas Tirith.
138 miles: Follow Aragorn from Minas Tirith to the Morannon.
120 miles: Return for Aragorn’s crowning from the Morannon to Minas Tirith.
1625 miles: Take the road home with the hobbits from Minas Tirith to Hobbiton.
....- 535 miles from Minas Tirith to Isengard .
....- 693 miles from Isengard to Rivendell.
....- 397 miles from Rivendell to Bag End.
467 miles: Follow Frodo to the Grey Havens and return home with Sam.

THE HOBBIT:
397 miles: Travel with Bilbo from Bag End to Rivendell.
570 Miles: Travel with Bilbo from Rivendell to Lonely Mountain.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18 2017, 4:13pm

Post #13 of 27 (3913 views)
Shortcut
A How To Helper: How I track my mileage [In reply to] Can't Post

If you find keeping track of your walk a bit daunting, I'll be very happy to help you see where you are in Karen Wynn Fonstad's' Charts. Its fun to imagine yourself out in the Wild with Strider and the Hobbits, or riding down the River on (or in) a barrel! However, I thought it might be helpful if I shared how I do this.

Here is a step-by-step (pardon the pun ;) on how to track your mileage with the Eowyn Challenge Site Charts. This isn’t an official process; but it's the way I've kept my information and progress since I began the Walk to Rivendell in March 2003.

To start, I cut and paste each of the charts into one long file to make it easy to search the charts for their information or for adding my personal notes that I place within the charts (keeping track of progress each week).

Eowyn Challenge Site Charts
...Bag End to Rivendell

For me, I like to have a way of keeping track of my weekly mileage embedded in the charts and then I also keep those stats in a list at the top of the file. Here's an example of how I keep my weekly mileage. I'm converting it to an Excel file soon; but for years, I've done it this way:

STARTED March 18, 2003

Miles covered Date Cumulated miles

15 miles covered...3/25/03...Cumulated miles 15

17 miles covered...4/01/03...Cumulated miles 32

22 miles covered...4/08/03...Cumulated miles 54

21 miles covered...4/15/03...Cumulated miles 75

9 miles covered...4/22/03...Cumulated miles 84

14 miles covered...4/30/03...Cumulated miles 98

I enter my miles covered and the date followed by the Cumulated miles (adding each week's miles to the previous mileage total). For example: in the first week, I walked a total of 15 miles.

Now I go to the long file of all of the charts and go to the chart I'm following at the time. Since these dates/numbers are from my very first walk, I'm going to use the Bag End to Rivendell chart. I go to my chart's first column showing the miles covered and pick the entry that's closest to my total mileage. Then I go into that row where the explanation of what's going on with the Fellowship and add my notes from that week's walk. The next entry will be for the miles closest to 32 miles cumulated... then 54 miles, etc. I add my notes to each row for the total miles cumulated on that week of our Walk. This example shows that the Walk I did in 2015 is pretty close to what I did in 2003! :D That's also fun to see for comparisons.

You'll also see that I make notes at the top of each chart showing when I did each phase of that Walk and how many miles there are. I know this seems redundant, but through the years I've found that having this layout makes any little side projects I'm working on easier to research.

OH... so I can find where I left off on the chart quickly, I type GO HERE at the end of the last entry. When I'm ready to add the next week's mileage, I do a word search GO HERE and BOOM.... there I am :) So, when I'm done entering my info, I know where I am with the Fellowship or Company, how many miles I've travelled, the date I did it, and how many time's I've done that chart/Walk.

This is how I do it, but everyone has their own way of keeping track... or not. You don't even have to use the charts if you don't want to. Just share what you've walked each week (if you want) and keep a running tally for your own information. That's the beauty of this Walk... it's all up to you and what you want to do :D

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 18 2017, 4:13pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 18 2017, 9:26pm

Post #14 of 27 (3895 views)
Shortcut
Update for May 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there!

Spring is back! Hopefully for good this time. I'm having a few days off from work and enjoying being a tad lazier than usually, biking less and walking more.

Miles covered this week: 62
Cumulative miles: 8009

In Middle-earth, I've began my journey home with Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and the Wood-elves. Should be fun!

Happy walking! Smile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on May 18 2017, 9:27pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2017, 12:12am

Post #15 of 27 (3883 views)
Shortcut
Good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for marking the date... I keep forgetting to do that! d'uhhhh ;)

And I don't call it laziness... you're just recharging your batteries... which we all need from TIME to TIME ;) I'm afraid I wouldn't call 62 miles being lazy, either! Just a wee stretch of the legs, eh? WELL DONE!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2017, 11:27am

Post #16 of 27 (3770 views)
Shortcut

Greeting Fellow Travellers!

I hope you're having great adventures whilst gathering up your mileage... or at least satisfaction on your progress ;) Whether modest or monumental, forward movement is always a good thing. There are many times when I'm doing good just getting any mileage at all!

So how goes it for you? We'd love to hear how you're doing and where you and the Fellowship are on your journey.

My Progress:
Miles covered: 28

I'm still travelling with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and the Dead. That army tried to pass us and move ahead... now I get why. This is taking forever!

Take care... and I'll see you ON THE ROAD!

Resources:

FYI - How I track my mileage

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 25 2017, 9:22pm

Post #17 of 27 (3760 views)
Shortcut
Update for May 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey!

From shovelling snow to mowing the lawn in just two weeks -- spring may have been delayed, but now it's well and truly here!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 60,5
Cumulative miles: 8069,5

In Middle-earth, I've begun making my way round Mirkwood with Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn, having bid farewell to Thranduil & Co not long ago.

Happy walking!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 27 2017, 12:26pm

Post #18 of 27 (3688 views)
Shortcut
I did it again!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgot the date... and after thinking about it SO MUCH! *tsk*

Thank you :D

Your world has truly been extreme! Flowers to Snow to Flowers again! It's like you have to dress in layers... cold in the morning to warm in the afternoon ;)

I always imagine that walk around the north of Mirkwood to be fascinating. Animals following just within the treeline and Beorn probably peeling off now and again to venture into the woods... especially at night ;) Remember to put your food in ziplock bags and solid containers lest the critters make off with your vittles ;)

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 1 2017, 7:28pm

Post #19 of 27 (3581 views)
Shortcut
Update for June 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaaand it's back to cold and windy here. Well, at least it isn't snowing again. Yet. Lousy weather has kept me indoors more, so I've had the chance to increase my miles with some additional biking.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 82,5
Cumulative miles: 8152

In Middle-earth, I continue my journey home with Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn. It isn't as eventful as the journey to the Lonely Mountain, but I don't mind, as I've already gathered memories to last a lifetime.

Happy walking, everyone!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 3 2017, 11:13pm

Post #20 of 27 (3530 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Fellow Travellers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll bet you can't even tell I'm 4 states away from my home! I'm visiting my family in Baltimore where my g'daughter just graduated from High School! I meant to post before I left at 5am Thursday, but *hangs head in shame* I forgot! 800 miles of road was callin' me! BUT it doesn't count on this page ;)
I hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend and I'll see you on the road!!
My Progress:
Miles covered: 24
Heading for the River Ciril at the spur of the White Mountains! Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and I are still heading east with the Dead. Campfire at night tends to be a bit gloomy ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 8 2017, 11:10am

Post #21 of 27 (3452 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Update for June 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope everyone is having a fabulous week and making some progress on your Quest. In my neck of the woods, its been perfect walking weather as the temp hovers in the mid-70s. BUT this weekend we're moving into the 90s :( I'm planning on being an early riser as the temp rises, too!

My Progress:
Miles covered: 14
Cumulated 373 miles of the 789 miles in the walk from Isengard to Minas Tirith with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas.

I did a lot of driving from mid-Michigan to Ft. Wayne, Indiana (picking up ex) to Baltimore... then back again... for my g'daughter's HS graduation! Approximately 800 miles one way during 13-hr drive.

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and I are still heading east with the Dead on our way to the River Ciril at the spur of the White Mountains! We've just passed the village, Calembel, where everyone seemed to be hiding as we passed by! Strange to say I passed THROUGH 2 tunnels of the Blue Mountains during my drive through Pennsylvania ;)

Cheers to one and all! Let us know how you're doing!

RESOURCES:

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 8 2017, 11:12am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 8 2017, 8:08pm

Post #22 of 27 (3422 views)
Shortcut
Hey! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a busy week for me as well. I broke my record for most distance covered in a single day on friday and may have done the same with the week's record, but I'm not 100% sure and I'm too lazy to check, hehe! Laugh

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 115
Cumulative miles: 8267

In Middle-earth, I'm still making my way round Mirkwood with the guys. Luckily, I'm already more than half way there! Cool

Happy walking! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 9 2017, 1:42am

Post #23 of 27 (3398 views)
Shortcut
Hey Back! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I remembered to add the date!!!! :D

I'll bet you DID break your record... hence being too tired to check ;) The stats will still be there waiting for you. Now, go get a nap! :D

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15 2017, 6:48pm

Post #24 of 27 (3246 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell -- and Beyond! Update for June 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you are having a great week of activity or just plain relaxation ;) The summer is well on it way here in my part of the hemisphere with the Summer Solstice coming on fast!

I've started building a new ground-level deck out my back door, so I'm doing a lot of cement block moving, wood toting and construction work during the cool parts of the day. I've waited a LONG TIME to do this project whilst unsure I'd have to rip it all out to have my house foundation rebuilt. Now that I have the all-clear, it's bye-bye to the wood-pallet step and railroad ties walkway. VERY uneven and hard to shovel snow when it falls :) I've already waterproofed the pressure-treated wood and drawn up my plans.

So how are you doing? SHARE and BEWARE! The Walk is very contagious ;)

My Progress:
Miles covered: 29
Cumulated 402 miles of the 789 miles in the walk from Isengard to Minas Tirith with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. We've endured the Dawnless Day and are making our way to the River with the Dead.

Resources:

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 15 2017, 7:03pm

Post #25 of 27 (3243 views)
Shortcut
Howdy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I took it a bit easier this week, but still managed to record some pretty impressive numbers. Looking forward to getting some more work and exercising done before the holidays.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 80
Cumulative miles: 8347

In Middle-earth, I'm still some 100+ miles from Beorn's house, but we're already making our way south, which is nice.

Happy walking!

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jun 15 2017, 7:05pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.