Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Paying respects to the late Roger Moore, The Underrated James Bond???

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 23 2017, 11:20pm

Post #1 of 11 (970 views)
Shortcut
Paying respects to the late Roger Moore, The Underrated James Bond??? Can't Post

Hello All, read earlier Roger Moore dead at 89 after a short struggle with cancer. It's pretty much standard in the 007 Universe and elsewhere to say Sean Connery was the best James Bond ever, and I happen to agree, but there is no way I would discount or diminish Moore. IMHO he was very underrated and the anchorman for the franchise. He spanned 7 movies from Live and Let Die '73 to View to a Kill '85 drawing in big box office numbers and expanding Bond's international base ever further. He revealed his more light hearted approach was due to the fact that in their acting, "Sean played it like a killer. I played it like a lover."

Always thought he hit his own marks for juggling the serious aspects of the role with the humor, the deadpan one-liners that he really popularized. He aged into the role quite well, going from still somewhat youthful in the early 70s to more distinguished by the 80s. Really liked the way he put subtle changes into 007 during his tenure. One of my faves, "For Your Eyes Only" where he is seen as a widower and an older man, a secret agent feeling a bit of mortality.

As I understand it, he was given a knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II for his years of service to UNICEF and was a generous minded person, using his celebrity for different causes. So in a way he really was On Her Majesty's Secret Service for charity work. Best wishes to his family and legions of fans. And thanks for years of 007 entertainment with the Roger Moore touch.

The name is Warrior, 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
{From the scroll rooms of Gondor, Q Branch section}

Ettelewen
Rohan

May 23 2017, 11:55pm

Post #2 of 11 (929 views)
Shortcut
*Raises Glass* [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, he's been underrated for years as Bond. I don't know that anyone else has mastered that dusty-dry sense of humor so very well.

For my part I didn't care nearly as much for Connery's portrayal - I found it snobbish and irritating. I did appreciate Pierce Brosnan's take on the character, however, finding it much more approachable than Connery's.

Farewell, Sir Roger Moore. RIP.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2017, 2:47am

Post #3 of 11 (924 views)
Shortcut
There was a gorgeous story told on radio this morning. [In reply to] Can't Post

Years ago a young boy spotted James Bond at an airport and asked for his autograph, and as he walked away he realised the signature he got said Roger Moore - and he told his grandfather that James Bond had written the wrong name down. So back he goes with his grandfather, asking 'James Bond' to sign with his real name, and Roger leans down with a grin and says, "I have to sign with 'Roger Moore' so that Blofeld doesn't know where I am." And the kid walked away feeling like he was working with James Bond to keep him safe. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2017, 2:57am

Post #4 of 11 (916 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the kid will never forget the day he had his moment in the world of espionage! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 24 2017, 5:31am

Post #5 of 11 (900 views)
Shortcut
Elvish Vodka Martini, Shaken not Stirred,,,, [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Ataahua, that is a charming story; very thoughtful, considerate of Moore to dream that one up on the spot. Maybe tapped his real life parent side. In his older years he put a little paternal quality into the acting, might give advice to a character he considered reckless and in danger. Tells Melina, heroine of For Your Eyes Only, hunting the assassin who killed her parents, "When seeking revenge, dig 2 graves...." Cool, smooth, unflappable, humor and grace under pressure, his performances grew on me over the years.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
{from the scroll rooms of Gondor near M's office}

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 24 2017, 5:51am

Post #6 of 11 (898 views)
Shortcut
Books into Movies....again. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Ettelewen, like fans of JRR, the Bond universe folks have their own controversies about the books being made into films. I was a big 007 Ian Fleming books fan, and will give Connery credit for being true to the dark, edgy, intense, sometimes cruel Bond of the novels. Fleming wanted Bond to be a menacing figure at times, a man who kills according to the mission, his code, and his split second judgement in the face of danger. And when he does, it's with a coldblooded but also angry mentality. That fits Connery better than Moore.

But what Moore did was just as valid in its own way for the movies, since the character needed a different direction than where Connery had taken it. Especially as the plots got more out of this world, Moonraker, anyone?? Somehow the gentleman spy with a great wit at the darkest moments served the over the top movies, Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, View to a Kill, very very well. Moore knew how to take the plot seriously, but give us the viewers a hint that he also knew how outrageous it was. He had great fun with it. So did we.

(from the scroll rooms of Gondor, reading how SPECTRE was formed)

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 24 2017, 10:39am

Post #7 of 11 (890 views)
Shortcut
Respect to Roger Moore [In reply to] Can't Post

I still enjoy the Bond movies that Moore made and the more lighthearted, humorous tone they employed. Moore was the first Bond that I remember watching and I think the humor and sly quips became part of my image of Bond ever after. Sorry to hear the news of his death, may he rest in peace.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 25 2017, 4:03am

Post #8 of 11 (857 views)
Shortcut
The first Bond I knew (in "The Spy Who Loved Me"). RIP. // [In reply to] Can't Post

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 27 2017, 5:46pm

Post #9 of 11 (825 views)
Shortcut
His Bond was the model for the wildly entertaining 'Kingsmen' [In reply to] Can't Post

That's saying something. He always did a fine job, even in 'Moonraker' and will always be a notable element of my generation's experience.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 27 2017, 10:14pm

Post #10 of 11 (803 views)
Shortcut
Moonraker was absurd but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello SirDC, I've read Moonraker was rushed into production because kingpin Bond movie CEO Albert Broccoli wanted to cash in on Star Wars, Close Encounters and the Star Trek revival movie. The plot is far fetched and too outer spacey but as usual Roger Moore holds the whole thing together, Lois Chiles was smart scientist/capable fighter/co-pilot new wave Bond girl, Drax a dry subdued villain and Jaws the comic relief. Usual Bond and SWAT team attack villain's fortress formula at the end. But it was in outer space so it was cool in a weird kind of way.

Also great singing of the theme song, Moonraker, by Shirley Bassey, who also sang Goldfinger and Diamonds are Forever, I think she sang the most title tracks for the 007 movies.

[from the scroll rooms of Gondor, NASA Mission Control]

Eruonen
Half-elven

May 28 2017, 6:25pm

Post #11 of 11 (781 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed Roger's performances as Bond [In reply to] Can't Post

He had the looks, charm and a playful demeanor. He is probably the first Bond I recall seeing and then later seeing Sean Connery.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.