Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Re: stick insects of New Zealand and Middle-earth.

Lissuin
Valinor

May 23 2017, 7:09am

Post #1 of 8 (3520 views)
Shortcut
Re: stick insects of New Zealand and Middle-earth. Can't Post

My theory about why we got a stick insect on the tip of a Wizard's tongue in The Hobbit is that they are just completely weird - and they are everywhere in New Zealand and Peter Jackson must love their weirdness.Laugh I do.

I found two visiting me this morning on the window screen. Can you find them? Are they not one of the weirdest, funniest creatures that could just possibly have lived in Middle-earth? Maybe not in somebody's mouth, but hey, it would not be the strangest creature in Middle-earth. Wink

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 23 2017, 12:04pm

Post #2 of 8 (3479 views)
Shortcut
Oh my goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that really the view from your window? That is wonderful. And the stick insects just add that little extra something, don't they?

Note to self - sleep with mouth closed. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 23 2017, 6:23pm

Post #3 of 8 (3439 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with Elarie [In reply to] Can't Post

That view is magnificent! Whereabout do you live?
Btw: Yeah, stick insects are weird, but not the weirdest creatures in Middle-earth. Maybe Gollum? There aren't any giant spiders in your area, are there?Tongue

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2017, 7:17pm

Post #4 of 8 (3436 views)
Shortcut
I always sleep with my hair over my ears. [In reply to] Can't Post

I want a barrier between my ear canal and any critter who thinks it'd make a cosy little bed. Shocked

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 23 2017, 7:51pm

Post #5 of 8 (3424 views)
Shortcut
Bugs! [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple of weeks ago while gardening I got a bug stuck in my ear for the first time ever. It was SO creepy - I could hear it AND feel it. Ick! Turned out to be an ant, but I couldn't stop thinking about that Star Trek movie and the giant brain control bugs... Crazy

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2017, 8:16pm

Post #6 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

it's that Star Trek scene that prompted me to cover my ears! Laugh

Did the ant leave of its own accord or did you have to encourage it out?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 23 2017, 8:56pm

Post #7 of 8 (3411 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That Star Trek scene made me want to go out and buy up a year's supply of ear muffs. Smile

The ant had to be encouraged out with saline solution, then my neighbor found him in my hair. Stubborn little guy!

Lissuin
Valinor

May 23 2017, 9:05pm

Post #8 of 8 (3407 views)
Shortcut
Ummmm yeah, we do get sort of big spiders. [In reply to] Can't Post

The tunnel web was outside, but the vagrant was in the bedroom. Eeeeew! NB: 'Sting' not required - a jar and a piece of cardboard did the trick. Go! Live! Outside, please! But there's only one venomous spider in NZ, the katipo, and that's hardly ever seen.
tunnel web spider
http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/Topic/9426
vagrant spider
http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/Topic/9439

Interesting fact: Phil Sirvid from Te Papa Museum, Wellington was also the consultant on spiders for The Hobbit films.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/...-things-creepycrawly The video features spiders and stick insects. Warning: dead insect collection stuff. Pirate

Very reasonable response, eh?:

Does the average person in their lifetime eat 8 spiders in their sleep?

"I've been asked that question and the thought occurred to me, how would we ever know? It's a silly idea. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if we inadvertently ate spiders in our food but while you're lying in bed and a spider crawls into your mouth? It seems unlikely."

But how about ears, Phil? Evil

That is the Wairarapa Valley in the photo, 100 km over the Rimutaka Range from Wellington.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.