Trying to discern if a certain quote belongs to Tolkien -

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 22 2017, 5:18pm

Post #1 of 14 (3067 views)
Shortcut
Trying to discern if a certain quote belongs to Tolkien - Can't Post

The quote: 'Little by little one travels far.'

At it's heart, it seems like something he might have said, if not for the twee air about it. Many thanks for any help or insights you may share.

squire
Half-elven

May 22 2017, 5:34pm

Post #2 of 14 (3030 views)
Shortcut
Twee? [In reply to] Can't Post

What an excellent term. I agree that the phrase isn't far from Tolkien's world of small people making long journeys, but the voice is wrong -- too generic, not folksy enough, too impersonal perhaps. It has the manufactured ring of a Chinese fortune cookie saying, rather than the hand-rubbed feel of the imaginary folklore that Tolkien so effortlessly coined and embedded in his tales.

The closest I could find was the Elf's remark to Sam: "Never travel far without a rope."

The closest in sentiment is, perhaps, the gaffer's old saying "It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish."

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 22 2017, 7:05pm

Post #3 of 14 (3014 views)
Shortcut
Here [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.thetolkienist.com/...thnsdwohatdw-part-2/

Once Radagast dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Radagast. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Radagast. But he didn't know if he was Radagast who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Radagast. Between Radagast and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Aiwendil dreaming he's both Radagast *and* a moth!
-From Radagasti: The Moth Dream

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 22 2017, 8:35pm

Post #4 of 14 (3003 views)
Shortcut
I know, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seemed off, the way some quotes mistakenly attributed to the Bible seem off. The sentiment feels right, kind of, but the voice is all wrong.

Thanks squire.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 22 2017, 8:42pm

Post #5 of 14 (3004 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I viddied that - [In reply to] Can't Post

Put the whole notion to bed quite thoroughly I thought. Still, I wanted to read what the experts around here had to say. ( is this Tolkienist fellow a TORn member?)

Thanks for posting the link.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 22 2017, 9:54pm

Post #6 of 14 (2989 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Much like Mark Twain and Winston Churchill, Tolkien is getting to be quite a "quote magnet". Quotes by Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ursula Le Guin, and others are being attributed to him.

My own chimera is "We were all orcs in that war". It's often cited as a Tolkien quote, but I've never found a primary source.

Once Radagast dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Radagast. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Radagast. But he didn't know if he was Radagast who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Radagast. Between Radagast and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Aiwendil dreaming he's both Radagast *and* a moth!
-From Radagasti: The Moth Dream

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 22 2017, 10:07pm

Post #7 of 14 (2985 views)
Shortcut
Glede [In reply to] Can't Post

Words like that which Tolkien used always intrigued me. In this case when Tolkien describes how the Ring "burned like a glede" in Isildurs hand.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 23 2017, 12:17am

Post #8 of 14 (2973 views)
Shortcut
Looking under a few rocks [In reply to] Can't Post

I came across this:https://groups.google.com/....tolkien/swZfMa6yOe0

Not only does it call the 'orcs' quote apocryphal, it points to a 2011 discussion at TORn in support of that verdict. Interestly, the "little by little" quote is mentioned in both discussions as well.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 23 2017, 12:40am

Post #9 of 14 (2965 views)
Shortcut
I wonder - [In reply to] Can't Post

at the number of words that might have been forgotten, like so much left luggage, if not for Professor Tolkien.

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 26 2017, 7:16pm

Post #10 of 14 (2839 views)
Shortcut
I don't know whether he's a member here or not - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but I know the gent, and he's at least as knowledgeable about Tolkien as I am.

And you can take it from me; this is not Tolkien.
Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 27 2017, 2:35am

Post #11 of 14 (2820 views)
Shortcut
That settles it then - [In reply to] Can't Post

what I felt in my gut, with yours and the others confirmation, I can now trust.

Thank you my friend.

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 27 2017, 6:42am

Post #12 of 14 (2805 views)
Shortcut
you're very welcome - [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

May 27 2017, 8:26am

Post #13 of 14 (2793 views)
Shortcut
Actually it sounds a bit like one of Chairman Mao's! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 17 2017, 2:28pm

Post #14 of 14 (2507 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of what C.S, Lewis said about [In reply to] Can't Post

the dangers of "spoiling your ear" as a writer by reading junky literature (in Letters to Children). That woke me up to the fact that writing is an awful lot like music, and how much my "ear" is affected by various types of writing. For instance I find some authors' works off-putting because the wording seems "bumpy" and unconnected, and without any seeming attention to the sound of the words themselves (kind of the the psalms in the NIV version of the Bible . . .Unsure). And I find myself reading certain passages in Tolkien over and over again just to experience the feel of the words.

And yes, your quote definitely fails the ear test!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.