Sean Bean's favourite death scene

Eldaria
Rivendell

Apr 24 2017, 4:22pm

Post #1 of 13 (6395 views)
Shortcut
Sean Bean's favourite death scene Can't Post

http://www.msn.com/...r-BBAfGWd?li=AAggSpD

“There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep ... that have taken hold.”

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 24 2017, 8:32pm

Post #2 of 13 (6323 views)
Shortcut
Not a surprise! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a link to this story elsewhere but sadly did not follow up on it.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2017, 8:22pm

Post #3 of 13 (6277 views)
Shortcut
IMHO [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of the best death scenes by any actor in any film, period! (Or full stop for you speakers of British English 😉) I've watched these movies so often that I've become a bit burnt out by them, but that scene never fails to move me.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 26 2017, 9:03am

Post #4 of 13 (6231 views)
Shortcut
*Appreciates the full stop..... :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It is, that... It never grows old for me either. These days I rate Thorin's death scene alongside it. When Peter Jackson gets a scene right, he gets it so right - and I think the acting in all cases is spot on.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

May 1 2017, 12:33am

Post #5 of 13 (6144 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best death scenes ever put on film! Cool

wizzardly
Rohan

May 1 2017, 12:34pm

Post #6 of 13 (6104 views)
Shortcut
agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

When PJ sticks to what is written he does alright, it's when he tries to get "creative" when things go wrong. I know he must have wrestled with the idea of having Legolas and Arwen doing a few backflips throughout the scene, but thank goodness common sense prevailed...this time.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2017, 1:02pm

Post #7 of 13 (6094 views)
Shortcut
That would have been difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When PJ sticks to what is written he does alright, it's when he tries to get "creative" when things go wrong. I know he must have wrestled with the idea of having Legolas and Arwen doing a few backflips throughout the scene, but thank goodness common sense prevailed...this time.

Well, Legolas doesn't appear in that fight with Boromir and Arwen isn't even with the Fellowship.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

squire
Half-elven

May 1 2017, 2:40pm

Post #8 of 13 (6094 views)
Shortcut
Sticking to what's written, vs. being 'creative' [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly agree that the film scene works better without backflipping Elves and warrior maidens, but can you be clearer about why you describe this scene as being "what is written"?

The book's interchange is short, sparse, and all the emotion goes one way: from Aragorn to Boromir:
A mile, maybe, from Parth Galen in a little glade not far from the lake he found Boromir. He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black-feathered arrows; his sword was still in his hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two was at his side. Many Orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet.
Aragorn knelt beside him. Boromir opened his eyes and strove to speak. At last slow words came. ‘I tried to take the Ring from Frodo’ he said. ‘I am sorry. I have paid.’ His glance strayed to his fallen enemies; twenty at least lay there. ‘They have gone: the Halflings: the Orcs have taken them. I think they are not dead. Orcs bound them.’ He paused and his eyes closed wearily. After a moment he spoke again.
‘Farewell, Aragorn! Go to Minas Tirith and save my people! I have failed.’
‘No!’ said Aragorn, taking his hand and kissing his brow. ‘You have conquered. Few have gained such a victory. Be at peace! Minas Tirith shall not fall!’
Boromir smiled.
‘Which way did they go? Was Frodo there?’ said Aragorn.
But Boromir did not speak again.
‘Alas!’ said Aragorn. ‘Thus passes the heir of Denethor, Lord of the Tower of Guard! This is a bitter end. Now the Company is all in ruin. It is I that have failed. Vain was Gandalf’s trust in me. What shall I do now? Boromir has laid it on me to go to Minas Tirith, and my heart desires it; but where are the Ring and the Bearer? How shall I find them and save the Quest from disaster?’
He knelt for a while, bent with weeping, still clasping Boromir’s hand.
- J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings III.1

The film scene, which is very popular as we've seen in this thread, takes some significant liberties with Tolkien's ideas, in keeping with a carefully-built up arc of conflict and reconciliation between Aragorn and Boromir throughout the first film:

Aragorn cuts Lurtz down and races
towards Boromir, who lies slumped against a tree...URUK-HAI
arrows sticking out of his chest. At least 20 dead URUK-HAI
lie heaped around Boromir. His horn lies at his feet...Cloven
in two.

BOROMIR
(painful gasp)
They took the little ones...

Aragorn quickly tries to staunch the flow
of blood from Boromir's shoulder.

BOROMIR
(panicked)
Frodo...where is Frodo?

ARAGORN
I let Frodo go.

Boromir holds Aragorn's gaze.

BOROMIR
Then you did what I could not. I tried
to take the ring from him.

ARAGORN
The ring is beyond our reach now.

BOROMIR
Forgive me, I did not see..I have failed
you all.

ARAGORN
No, Boromir. You fought bravely. You
have kept your honor.

Aragorn tries to bind Boromir's wound.

BOROMIR
Leave it! It is over...the world of Men
will fall and all will come to darkness
and my city to ruin..Aragorn..

ARAGORN
I do not know what strength is in my
blood, but I swear to you... I will not
let the White City fall, nor your people
fail...

BOROMIR
Our people...our people...

Aragorn places Boromir's sword in his hand. Boromir's
fingers tighten around the hilt.

BOROMIR
I would have followed you, my
brother...my captain, my King.

Aragorn lays Boromir down. He is dead.

ARAGORN
Be at peace, son of Gondor.

Aragorn bends and kisses Boromir's forehead.

- Frances Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. New Line Cinema, 2001.

We could spend hours (and probably have, on this site in past years) analyzing all the differences, creative liberties, changes, and filmic thinking that makes this screenplay so different from Tolkien's book.

My short take is that Jackson was, in fact, being very 'creative' here: piling on the sentiment, bringing subtext out in the open, wrapping up an arc he invented in the first place, and generally completing the total rewrite of Boromir's character that has led so many fans to remark that they never really liked Boromir in the books, but love him to death (ha ha) in the film.
To put it another way: in the book, this is Aragorn's scene. In the film, it is Boromir's scene.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

wizzardly
Rohan

May 1 2017, 11:19pm

Post #9 of 13 (6030 views)
Shortcut
Book details are no worry for good ol' PJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure he could have winged up some reason why they turned up in the scene.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

wizzardly
Rohan

May 1 2017, 11:28pm

Post #10 of 13 (6040 views)
Shortcut
you make a good point here... [In reply to] Can't Post

When placed side by side like that, they are quite different. However, knowing what PJ is now capable of...I think it turned out as good as can be expected.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

May 17 2017, 10:17pm

Post #11 of 13 (5742 views)
Shortcut
Too funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

But sadly - very true. Mad

ange1e4e5
Gondor

May 22 2017, 9:32pm

Post #12 of 13 (5662 views)
Shortcut
And my favorite of the death scenes of Sean Bean. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 31 2017, 3:17am

Post #13 of 13 (4951 views)
Shortcut
Climactic [In reply to] Can't Post

An epic of melee(and some missile fire) combat between the Fellowship and the Uruk-Hai. Boromir valiantly defending Pip and Merry. The duel where Aragorn defeats the Uruk-Hai leader which leads to the heroic yet sad death where he repents trying to wrest the Ring from Frodo. I for one loved it, and thought it actually might be better than the book account.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.