Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien on where the Entwives might have gone.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2017, 9:17pm

Post #1 of 9 (2399 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien on where the Entwives might have gone. Can't Post

On the site Quora ("A place to share knowledge and better understand the world"), a user asked: After Lord of the Rings was there any mention of the entwives?

Member Pip Willis responded with a story about his father, who drew his own map of Middle-earth and reportedly was able to personally show it to J.R.R. Tolkien in the year 1971. Willis reports that Tolkien indicated on the map where the Entwives might have settled:

Anyway, at the meeting, my father asked about the Entwives and Tolkien, taking a pencil, marked on the map ‘Here be the Entwives’...

Later Dad inked over the pencil marks, keeping the hand-writing style. And I didn’t think much more about it, until I happened to mention the Map to one of my older brothers, who recalled the above anecdote and I realised how significant it may become - or not!

Willis' father is still alive and living in Sussex. He took a photo of the relevant part of his map and sent it to Pip.

So below is a very small part of the map. My father inked over JT’s pencil (knowing my father’s hand-writing as I do, I think he went a bit heavy, the only bit which is definitely not his style is the ‘y’ from ‘may’). My father has yet to send a picture of the whole map as apparently the reflection from the glass is too much, so he will have to take the map down and the glass off etc. I know it sounds crazy, but my father did the map in black ink from a rotring pen and then coloured in with felt tip pens! Where he made mistakes he overlaid with new bits of paper and re-drew. It was a pretty big deal in the early ‘70’s! I have to apologise again for my first edit where I wrote ‘East bank’, but at least I have an excuse, as I’m pretty sure that’s what I was told!

And, here it is:

And here is the link for Quora: https://www.quora.com/...tion-of-the-entwives

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 22 2017, 9:20pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2017, 9:31pm

Post #2 of 9 (2358 views)
Shortcut
More from Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

J.R.R. Tolkien did express some discouraging speculations about the Entwives in his 1954 letter to a Naomi Mitchison (Letter 144, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien):

I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429 – 3441) when Sauron pursued a scorched earth policy and burned their land against the advance of the Allies down the Anduin... They survived only in the 'agriculture' transmitted to Men (and Hobbits). Some, of course, may have fled east, or even have become enslaved: tyrants even in such tales must have an economic and agricultural background to their soldiers and metalworkers. If any survived so, they would indeed be far estranged from the Ents, and any rapprochement would be difficult -- unless experience of industrialized and militarized agriculture had made them a little more anarchic. I hope so. I don't know.

The above does seem to give some support to Tolkien's notation on the elder Willis' map.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

squire
Half-elven

May 22 2017, 9:34pm

Post #3 of 9 (2359 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather logically, they're (or they may be) well on East beyond the Brown Lands, where they were last reported. I love that Mr. Willis mistook his memory of his father's map and at first said that it showed the Entwives just north of the Shire!

If this little bit of lore is accepted by the Tolkien fan community, it may actually settle a fun but silly debate that has lingered on alongside the Blue Wizards, Balrog wings, and such.

'Then Hal can't have seen one,' indeed!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2017, 11:56pm

Post #4 of 9 (2338 views)
Shortcut
Good Ol' Hal [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be willing to bet that the memory of Hal's 'tree-man' sighting is what made Pip think that Tolkien had placed the Entwives so close to the Shire.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2017, 12:47pm

Post #5 of 9 (2312 views)
Shortcut
This is so great :D [In reply to] Can't Post

How many other little treasures are floating around out there? Thank you for this.... it's wonderful :)

psst... I can't help but think of Sam's cousin Hal, too ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 23 2017, 9:34pm

Post #6 of 9 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Orcs ---> Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

Were Trolls twisted from Ents by Morgoth?

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 23 2017, 9:37pm

Post #7 of 9 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Presumably no. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Were Trolls twisted from Ents by Morgoth?

That does not seem to be the case, as most Trolls revert to stone in direct sunlight. Tolkien did suggest that Trolls were made in mockery of Ents.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 23 2017, 9:39pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 24 2017, 8:05pm

Post #8 of 9 (2175 views)
Shortcut
Nice story! [In reply to] Can't Post

I came across someone in the course of researching something else who told me that he wrote to Tolkien when he was a child asking "is it all real" and had a long letter in reply, which he has always kept. I'm sure you can guess how much I'd like to see it, but my gentle hints had no effect and after all, it is his to show or not, as he likes.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

NottaSackville
Valinor

May 25 2017, 1:25pm

Post #9 of 9 (2103 views)
Shortcut
I'll believe it [In reply to] Can't Post

Any hope for Treebeard and friends is a good thing. No idea if this is actually provably true or not, but it's Notta-cannon from now on.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.