Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Camelot Fabrics is Releasing a Line of LotR and Hobbit Material!

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

May 22 2017, 3:24pm

Post #1 of 18 (3406 views)
Shortcut
Camelot Fabrics is Releasing a Line of LotR and Hobbit Material! Can't Post

Hi! I don't know how many people are aware of this yet, so I thought I'd post here about it. After fifteen years of waiting and hoping, a fabric company has decided to release a movie-themed collection of fabric based on the LotR trilogy (along with some Hobbit prints, as well)! These are being released by Camelot Fabrics, which is a Canadian based company selling to retailers in North America. Not to worry, though, if you live in another country, because I'm sure these will be available online, too.

The fabric was just announced in the Camelot catalog released last week, and it is listed as being set for sale at "Quilt Shops Only". However, we were at our local JoAnn Fabric store last Thursday and were able to buy a bolt of black and gold LotR cotton --- along with another bolt of Frodo flannel!

If anyone wants more info and/or photos of all the fabric patterns coming, you can see them on my blog here:
http://littlekumquat.weebly.com/...-and-hobbit-material

Regards,
Sarah

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 22 2017, 8:30pm

Post #2 of 18 (3341 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, tasty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if it would be obtainable - well, affordably! - in the UK, but there are some good designs there. Thanks for posting!

Lissuin
Valinor

May 22 2017, 8:41pm

Post #3 of 18 (3342 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the heads up! Links to fabric: [In reply to] Can't Post

Camelot Fabrics LOTR and Hobbit Collection:
http://camelotfabrics.com/...ings-collection.html

A good use for the map fabric - passport cover pattern. I might make a few. Laugh
http://camelotfabrics.com/...April/E-001_LOTR.pdf
And how many of us have travel photo albums that need new covers?Wink

Ah, Warners. You really know your market.Cool

Eruclauron
Bree

May 23 2017, 12:30am

Post #4 of 18 (3320 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to have to keep my eyes out for some of these. Not sure what I'd do with them yet, but I know someday I'd think of something and I wouldn't be able to find them anywhere!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 23 2017, 12:39am

Post #5 of 18 (3321 views)
Shortcut
They do indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently, I need a new project bag even sooner than I thought. Guess I do know what fabric I'll be looking for after all! I mean, I can't keep putting Middle-earthy knitting projects in Star Wars totes now. Must have the Precious! Off to find map print ASAP...

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2017, 7:55am

Post #6 of 18 (3292 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the map print is great. [In reply to] Can't Post

Might have to invent a "need" for that...

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 23 2017, 8:29am

Post #7 of 18 (3290 views)
Shortcut
I really like the map one.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a shame we can't get it here. But perhaps they're protecting us from temptation!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2017, 11:07am

Post #8 of 18 (3283 views)
Shortcut
This is so great! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll definitely check my local JoAnn Fabrics and see if they have any. I'll bet they'd try to order some if they don't. Thank you so much :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

May 23 2017, 11:21am

Post #9 of 18 (3282 views)
Shortcut
If JoAnn's doesn't get it, then try these . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it so fun to think of things to make with the fabric? My sister and I have been planning on making these new purses for the last several months, and I already got the outside fabric and planned to decorate it in a real "Hobbit" theme. Now, I'm planning on getting some of the brown-toned Hobbit fabric (the one with the logo and the acorns, etc.) to use for the inside lining! My sister is going to make her bag in black tones with the LotR characters fabric inside. :) As for the Frodo flannel, we're going to make throws for the chairs in our TV room!

Anyway, for anyone who does not have access to a JoAnn Fabrics store, don't be afraid to watch both Fabric.com and FabricDepot.com. I can't imagine that they won't get it, and they are both very good places to order from --- as far as the online sites like that.
We're going down to Florida next month to visit our grandmother, and she has the most wonderful JoAnn's you've ever seen! Huge and tons of fabric, particularly the licensed stuff. Naturally, we're going to try finding some there! :)

Eowyn of Penns Wood: Great idea about a project bag! It will be really great to have a Middle Earth project bag. I make needle-felted wool dolls (all ME themed these days . . . and probably for the rest of my life, considering how many plans I've got!), and I'd like to make two zipper bags for project wool out of this. :)

(This post was edited by Barrel Rider on May 23 2017, 11:23am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 23 2017, 12:51pm

Post #10 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut
Also try Amazon [In reply to] Can't Post

I just checked Amazon U.S. and they carry lots of Camelot Fabrics including the movie themes. The LOTR and Hobbit fabrics don't seem to be up yet, but maybe after they are released in August Amazon will carry them.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2017, 1:10pm

Post #11 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I creating a room with my collectibles, toys, etc... so these will make great curtains! I have 2 windows... so I can think of at least 4 panels of different patterns... or 6 narrow panels on one window and 6 on the other with a valance of the 13th pattern that ties it all together ... or curtains and backboard covers for my pin / magnet / keychain displays , etc. ;)

This is gonna be fun!

The only thing I wish they'd done with the Frodo pattern was to have a happier time pic. All of the pics have him so troubled... so the Frodo one could have been more like the Gandalf one.... but it's all good :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eruclauron
Bree

Jun 4 2017, 1:41am

Post #12 of 18 (3035 views)
Shortcut
Curtains [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooh, curtains! That's a great idea! I've also been planning to make a small bench to sit beneath my window, and I think making some cushions with these would look nice! Thanks for getting my creative juices flowing!

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Jun 14 2017, 10:13pm

Post #13 of 18 (2882 views)
Shortcut
If you're in the USA, be sure to check JoAnn's . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, again! Just as an update on all of this . . .
We are down here in Florida for a week and just went to a local JoAnn Fabrics store. They also had the same three fabric prints (Frodo flannel, Black/Gold cotton and Brown-toned fleece) there, and we were able to get a half a bolt of the flannel and cotton. (Looked like there was a whole bolt of the fleece.)

My guess is that JoAnn's bought the fabric from test runs for this stuff, since flannel and fleece don't seem to be options coming from Camelot Fabrics. The Black/Gold LotR cotton does not appear at all in the final listing on Camelot's website. That said, be sure to check JoAnn's now, because I can't imagine this stuff will last too long!
Took a picture of the fleece and will add it to my blog entry as soon as I can.

Sarah

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 15 2017, 1:48am

Post #14 of 18 (2870 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

all I saw at my local JoAnn store was the black and gold LotR logo cotton print.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Jun 27 2017, 12:49pm

Post #15 of 18 (2655 views)
Shortcut
Three prints available on JoAnn's Website (& Fleece Photo). [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, again!

I've update my blog entry about the fabric and added a picture of the fleece print sold at JoAnn Fabrics. You can see that here:
http://littlekumquat.weebly.com/...-and-hobbit-material

Another great thing is the fact that the three patterns JoAnn's is selling are now available for ordering through their website (a link to that is included in the blog entry above). It doesn't look like they will have any more than the three prints, though. One cotton, one flannel and one fleece. Not bad, since you can get a good deal if you use coupons. If you sign up to receive their coupons via e-mail or text, you'll also get a good one there. If I find out anything else, I'll be sure to post.

As a matter of interest, my sister and I would love to hear what other people plan to make out of some of this stuff. We're planning blankets out of the Frodo flannel, and we'd like to line some purses/bags out of a few of the Camelot cottons to come --- as well as making a few project bags for felting and crocheting! The black and gold cotton from JoAnn's is neat, but we haven't decided what to make out of it quite yet. It would be great for some Rivendell-type wall pennants!

Sarah

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Sep 20 2017, 3:55pm

Post #16 of 18 (2094 views)
Shortcut
First Online Pre-Order Available [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a status update on this fabric. Camelot Fabrics seems to be behind on shipping out the new collections, but I have found an online fabric store that is taking pre-orders on the fabric. $10.00 (USD) a yard, which is not a bad price for specialty fabric like this. And, if you buy three or more yards of any print, you get a dollar a yard off.

Here's the link:
http://www.cottoncandyfabrics.com/Lord-Of-The-Rings-Symbols-LOTR-Fabric--Black-Pre-Order--Ships-Early-September_p_4524.html
Will post more info once it becomes available in more stores. :)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Nov 6 2017, 12:04pm

Post #17 of 18 (1941 views)
Shortcut
Now Available on FabricDepot.com [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a bit of an update on this fabric. The CottonCandyFabrics website decided not to carry the fabric after too little preorder activity, but the fabric is now available on FabricDepot.com.

Sadly, the fabric is SUPER expensive, with the retail price being listed as $20.00 (USD) a yard, making the "sale" prices about $17.00! It really puts it out of the budget for any serious projects, but maybe the sales will get better. Here's the link to the FabricDepot results:
https://www.fabricdepot.com/...rch/result/?q=hobbit

Apparently, the problem with this stuff is the "Digital Printing" used on the fabric. Basically, it is made with an ink-jet printer designed for fabric. It's also "printed on demand", which is the reason for the pricing.

For anyone in the USA, the couple patterns at JoAnn Fabrics are great. The fabric is fun, but the quality is not going to thrill anyone used to good stuff. You're buying this for the pattern and not the quality, that's for sure. The Frodo flannel looks like the plain old "Snuggle" flannel at JoAnn's. It does wash up to be softer than off the bolt, and the color stayed true. We've now washed twelve yards of this stuff, and it all did very well. (I'll post pictures of the finished project soon!) Here's a link to the JoAnn Fabrics prints:
http://www.joann.com/search?q=lord+rings

For pictures of my needle-felted Middle Earth dolls: http://www.sarahbethonline.com/
For pictures of my wonderful cat, Samwise: http://pepperminttoes.weebly.com/samwise.html

(This post was edited by Barrel Rider on Nov 6 2017, 12:14pm)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Nov 7 2017, 4:52pm

Post #18 of 18 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Frodo Flannel Blankets [In reply to] Can't Post

Mom and I finally finished our Frodo blankets! These are made of the flannel available at JoAnn Fabrics (see previous post).

To see larger pictures and a description of how they were made, etc., here is my blog post about them:
http://littlekumquat.weebly.com/...emade-frodo-blankets

For pictures of my needle-felted Middle Earth dolls: http://www.sarahbethonline.com/
For pictures of my wonderful cat, Samwise: http://pepperminttoes.weebly.com/samwise.html

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.