Hi everyone - written a couple of articles I'd like to share

Alientraveller
Lorien

May 13 2017, 1:08pm

Post #1 of 11 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Hi everyone - written a couple of articles I'd like to share Can't Post

Well, I'm back.

Some of you may remember I used to post regularly here until five years ago due to some bitter arguments and when it became clear The Hobbit would be a disappointment. Anyway, I've written a couple of pieces speculating on the future on my favourite film series on the big and small screen. I hope you enjoy them, that they spur some encouraging thoughts, and if you do like them then click the share (Heart) button. Smile

https://medium.com/...-movies-e100179bd1ea

https://medium.com/...-series-7f241244302b

"Sure, it's not really The Lord of the Rings, but it could still be a pretty damn cool movie." - PJ

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 14 2017, 1:02pm

Post #2 of 11 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Howdy-Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy you've found your way back AND that you've been very busy! Great food for thought in your articles. Well Done! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

AshNazg
Gondor

May 15 2017, 11:06pm

Post #3 of 11 (1572 views)
Shortcut
I'd prefer seeing what happens between The Hobbit and LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they're scared of dwindling interest after The Hobbit, then play safe and do a cartoon spin-off (like the old 90's cartoons - Ghostbusters, the Mask, Jumanji, Beetlejuice, Ace Ventura, Godzilla, Men in Black, Star Wars and all the Disney shows). they could even get Lego to produce it, for all the benefits of merchandising.

There are so many cool events to explore between the trilogies. focus on Legolas as the main character, on his search for Strider. Lead into the hunt for Gollum, introduce Gandalf and go into the battles between Lorien and Dol Guldur, set up the reclaiming of Moria etc. A great opportunity to kill-off Tauriel too Tongue

(This post was edited by AshNazg on May 15 2017, 11:09pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

May 15 2017, 11:21pm

Post #4 of 11 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Definitely would like to see a TV series of Lord of the Rings. [In reply to] Can't Post

My favourite adaptation of Lord of the Rings is BBC's radio show. It works so perfectly as an episodic story. It's much slower paced and feels more like the book.

Also, a TV show seems like the logical next step when you consider LotR has been adapted into every other medium...

Books (Tolkien)
Radio Series (BBC)
Theatrical Animation (Bakshi)
Television Animation (Rankin/Bass)
Theatrical Live-action (Peter Jackson)
Television Live-action ...

We also need a really good video-game adaptation and a comic-book/graphic novel. Tongue

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 15 2017, 11:49pm

Post #5 of 11 (1563 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth Animated [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If they're scared of dwindling interest after The Hobbit, then play safe and do a cartoon spin-off (like the old 90's cartoons - Ghostbusters, the Mask, Jumanji, Beetlejuice, Ace Ventura, Godzilla, Men in Black, Star Wars and all the Disney shows). they could even get Lego to produce it, for all the benefits of merchandising.

I think the best chance for another animated Middle-earth movie or other such project is a direct-to-video animated movie as a prequel or adaptation of Middle-earth video game. I was half-expecting one for Shadow of Mordor.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 15 2017, 11:55pm

Post #6 of 11 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Adaptations [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, a TV show seems like the logical next step when you consider LotR has been adapted into every other medium...

Books (Tolkien)
Radio Series (BBC)
Theatrical Animation (Bakshi)
Television Animation (Rankin/Bass)
Theatrical Live-action (Peter Jackson)
Television Live-action ...

We also need a really good video-game adaptation and a comic-book/graphic novel. Tongue

There has already been the comic-book adaptation of The Hobbit originally published by Eclipse Comics and still available as a collected graphic novel. I am surprised that there still hasn't been a similar adaptation of The Lord of the Rings. I could see Dark Horse Comics (for example) taking it on if they could snag the license.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Alientraveller
Lorien

May 16 2017, 7:13am

Post #7 of 11 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't an animated LOTR series in the vein of The Clone Wars and Rebels just be grand? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps discussing that should be the third in my trilogy. TV animation has come such a long way now. I always thought The Silmarillion would be amazing as an anime, oops, mustn't bother discussing things that can't be used.

"Sure, it's not really The Lord of the Rings, but it could still be a pretty damn cool movie." - PJ

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 16 2017, 2:26pm

Post #8 of 11 (1502 views)
Shortcut
The Sil [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Perhaps discussing that should be the third in my trilogy. TV animation has come such a long way now. I always thought The Silmarillion would be amazing as an anime, oops, mustn't bother discussing things that can't be used.

We can certainly discuss it, but it seems a little pointless, since there is almost no chance of The Silmarillion being adapted for television or film. The Silmarillion is presented in such a way that any such adaptation would have to have a very different tone from the book or it will come off more like a documentary than an epic tale. The Music of the Valar and The Account of the Valar would probably have to be only briefly summarized or excised entirely.

Adapting LotR as an animated series is an interesting idea, though I wonder how many problems it would present--pacing being a major issue.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 16 2017, 2:29pm)

squire
Half-elven

May 16 2017, 4:14pm

Post #9 of 11 (1495 views)
Shortcut
You can't get rid of "Music of the Valar"! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, sure you can. But why would you?

I've always read that chapter with echoes in my head of the vastest symphonies and oratorios I've ever heard, like Handel's Messiah, Beethoven's Ninth, or Mahler's Eighth - as I fell sure Tolkien intended (and I believe there are a lot more out there than the chestnuts I know as a less-musical soul). It might seem daunting, but any producer worth his pay would commission a classical-style composer to produce a full-blown score that captures the narrative of this chapter, before doing anything else. Then he would get a director to film it, whether in animation, live-action, or whatever combination seemed most likely to evoke the actions and thoughts of Tolkien's God and his host of angels and proto-demons.

Now, I agree that's a lot of work. But to abandon this chapter and say we're adapting The Silmarillion without it is as much as to say The Silmarillion, as written, is unadaptable. Which, I believe, the Tolkien Estate and many critics agree with. But those who think the Silm is worth putting on film the way LotR was owe themselves and their audience an honest recognition of the material's problems, rather than writing off the "hard parts" or "the parts a modern audience just won't buy" in favor of what's generically recognizable about the stories (oh dear, more hairy men and fey Elves mucking about with swords and mock-medieval dialogue; which fantasy author is this one, again?).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Meneldor
Valinor

May 18 2017, 4:46pm

Post #10 of 11 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Now I'm picturing a sort of mash-up [In reply to] Can't Post

of the Silmarillion and Disney's Fantasia.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Darkstone
Immortal

May 18 2017, 5:34pm

Post #11 of 11 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice articles!

Once Radagast dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Radagast. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Radagast. But he didn't know if he was Radagast who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Radagast. Between Radagast and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Aiwendil dreaming he's both Radagast *and* a moth!
-From Radagasti: The Moth Dream

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.